Question for Drake: rental vs. taxi

wanderlust79

I posted this question last week on a different thread, but thought maybe it would be easier to spot in its own thread. So sorry for being redundant. Anyway...

I will be in St. Croix on December 6th and I was hoping to get a bit of advice about transportation. I will be in a group of 7 (6 adults and one 18-month-old) and we are planning to check out Cruzan Rum and then wander a bit before settling at either Rainbow Beach or Freedom City Surf.

My first inclination is to get a rental, since it would probably be easier with a carseat. But then I saw something you posted a week or two ago about rentals cars in Point Udall (needing to keep doors unlocked and cars empty to avoid them being broken into). Does that apply everywhere or just at Point Udall? I would hate for my friends to lose their carseat or diaper bag or anything like that.

My second consideration would be cost. It looks like it would be approximately $88 to rent a van through Budget, but I have no idea what it would cost for our group to take a taxi from the pier to Cruzan and then back to somewhere near the fort. If it was significantly cheaper, they may be willing to deal with figuring out using a carseat in taxis.

Finally, are we being a little foolish to be trying to do Cruzan with a little one? Would it be better to split up and have the family hang out closer to the Pier and then meet up with them after the rum factory?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the matter. Our friends just recently decided to bring their little one and we are realizing that there is a lot more to consider when finalizing our plans.

Thanks and have a great day! :)

I posted this question last week on a different thread, but thought maybe it would be easier to spot in its own thread. So sorry for being redundant. Anyway...

I will be in St. Croix on December 6th and I was hoping to get a bit of advice about transportation. I will be in a group of 7 (6 adults and one 18-month-old) and we are planning to check out Cruzan Rum and then wander a bit before settling at either Rainbow Beach or Freedom City Surf.

My first inclination is to get a rental, since it would probably be easier with a carseat. But then I saw something you posted a week or two ago about rentals cars in Point Udall (needing to keep doors unlocked and cars empty to avoid them being broken into). Does that apply everywhere or just at Point Udall? I would hate for my friends to lose their carseat or diaper bag or anything like that.

My second consideration would be cost. It looks like it would be approximately $88 to rent a van through Budget, but I have no idea what it would cost for our group to take a taxi from the pier to Cruzan and then back to somewhere near the fort. If it was significantly cheaper, they may be willing to deal with figuring out using a carseat in taxis.

Finally, are we being a little foolish to be trying to do Cruzan with a little one? Would it be better to split up and have the family hang out closer to the Pier and then meet up with them after the rum factory?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on the matter. Our friends just recently decided to bring their little one and we are realizing that there is a lot more to consider when finalizing our plans.

Thanks and have a great day! :)

Sorry for the delay in answering, just saw this. I'm happy to help!

I think in your case a rental is the best choice, both for affordability and for convenience. Auto break-ins and theft are only a problem at remote places like Point Udall or Sandy Point. The parking lot at Cruzan is gated and secured and all the west end bars are so popular that no one would risk breaking into a vehicle there unless you leave a gold brick on the seat. :)

Take your valuables with you and you won't have any trouble.

To go to Cruzan and back with a group that size would cost you about the same as renting that van for the whole day so get it and go wherever you like. :)

Cruzan with a child is not the greatest idea ever but if they want to come with you they can wait at the visitors center and enjoy the breezes with a cocktail and comfy chairs while you take the tour. Or maybe they would prefer to stay at the beach. That choice is up to them but I would certainly not suggest they take the 18 month old on the actual tour. It is a working distillery with heavy equipment and metal stairs, not exactly kid-proof.

I hope you have a great time! Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Thank you so much for the input!! Glad to know that a rental is a good & safe option! :)

I let my friend know about the Cruzan tour not being very toddler-friendly and I am now just waiting to hear what she wants to do. If they decide to go and hang out around the visitor's center, I think we will definitely rent a car. But if they choose to stick closer to the port, we may use taxis so everyone can enjoy sampling at Cruzan without worrying about driving.

Thanks again for the info--I am very thankful to be able to get local advice!

Have a great day! :D

Drake -

I'm coming in on Nov. 30th and I too was looking into renting a jeep for the day and going to Pt. Udall and hanging out at Isaac's and Jack's Bay for a couple of hours. Are you saying that this is not a safe area to leave our rental car? We are trying to find somewhere secluded. Thanks.

Drake -

I'm coming in on Nov. 30th and I too was looking into renting a jeep for the day and going to Pt. Udall and hanging out at Isaac's and Jack's Bay for a couple of hours. Are you saying that this is not a safe area to leave our rental car? We are trying to find somewhere secluded. Thanks.

Perfectly safe to leave the rental car, not a safe place to leave any valuables. Simply take everything with you down to the beach and leave the jeep unlocked. No one will bother stealing a rental.