Orphanages in St Petersburg:

Boo's Mom

Oh my. My niece was adopted from another area in Russia, so I'm very curious about this post. When you say visited, do you mean visiting to take them supplies or to provide charitable assistance? I'm wondering because orphanages are not tourist attractions, and I have never seen a post indicating that orphanages are visited during tours. Could you please explain this?

Donna

Hi Donna.

No, I don't mean a tourist attraction. Like, taking a tour and walking through and looking at them.

I am thinking of spending the entire day with the children. Playing with them, singing with them, reading them books, etc... We would love to do that. I am currently working on a lead, with some orphanage missionaries in Russia.

When I went on a river cruise a few years ago from Moscow to St. Petersburg we stopped at different Islands and villages on the way.At Urich we visited an orphanage took them a lot of small supplies and they had a program for us. They also told us about their programs and the children. It was very interesting.

I am thinking of spending the entire day with the children. Playing with them' date=' singing with them, reading them books, etc... We would love to do that. I am currently working on a lead, with some orphanage missionaries in Russia.[/quote']Thanks for the clarification, and that sounds nice. If you are willing to break away from the sights of St. Petersburg to do that, power to you. I think it would be hard for me because I would want to bring home at least 5! The international adoptions from Russia are becoming more complicated and are not always handled very well; thankfully, my family had a great experience with adopting a Russian child and we forget that she is not biologically related to us. (Everyone says she's just like me when I was a little girl.) We raised funds and gathered items for my niece's orphanage, which closed after her adoption 5 years ago, using photos and video that my brother provided for me, and it was wonderful to see how much the U.S. dollar can buy in the rural area where she was adopted. As you can imagine, the children are very sweet and precious. My husband's aunt worked for a missionary foundation that has several orphanages in the Phillipines, and she frequently hosted visitors who were over there on mission trips. Hopefully your contact can come up with an option for your trip.

Donna

Archived