I'm taking my hubby on his first cruise!

ilikecake

Any advice?

This is only my second, my daughter and I went on the Imagination out of Miami in 2012 to celebrate her high school graduation. :) It was just 4 nights with stops in Key West and Cozumel. It was a lot of fun, even though the ship was older and dated.

So, I liked both of those ports but didn't want to take another 4 night cruise so dh & I are taking the Conquest, out of Fort Lauderdale, on November 8. We (actually I) chose a ship that went to Key West and left out of Florida. That was pretty much it, and I wanted a Guy's Burgers. :)

Since then I've read a lot of not-so-good things about the Conquest. Can someone give me some encouragement that it'll be OK? I'm fine anywhere, and he usually is, too. I did tell him the ship might not be as good as some but the ocean view will be spectacular, no matter what. If it's warm, we're OK with that, neither of us likes the cold. We're not big into shows, so that's not a big deal either.

Neither of us is prone to motion sickness, but I'm thinking of getting some Dramamine, just in case. Should we start taking it a few days before?

Any other advice? Thanks!!!

I agree with the above poster, take reviews with a grain of salt. If I had read and believed all the negative reviews on the Sunshine, I never would have sailed on her and that was an AWESOME cruise.

I have not been on Conquest but have sailed on her sister ship, Liberty. I liked the size of the ship, the only downside (and it's not a huge deal) was the stadium style seating on the Lido deck. To me, as long as the ship is clean and has Guy's and Blue Iguana Cantina, I am happy!

I've never cruised on the Conquest but I personally take reviews with a grain of salt. Really all I "need" on a vacation is someone to cook and clean for me and a warm place to visit and I am happy. Oh, and no work! The rest is just extra!

The Conquest is a nice size, I've been on the Liberty, it's sister ship and I like that it's not overly large or small. You can easily learn your way around within a day or so but still feel like you are on a ship.

Plus, like others have said, there's an adult only pool in the back of the ship. Don't let others' opinions get you down, a vacation is what you make of it! Just go into it looking to have a great time and I really think you will!

I too have sailed Liberty and specifically because of that have picked the Conquest for next spring. I love the class, size, etc. Not too big, not too small.

Personally I liked the stadium type seating as you could be on the Lido deck, see, experience what was going on and not feel cramped. What I and others find comfortable my mother and sister find cold, so they always bring a light sweater. LOL so as you can see what one prefers, another doesn't, it's all a personal perspective, but shouldn't ruin a cruise.

Go in with realistic expectations (ie. paying for the Mariott Courtyard and expecting the Ritz) and you'll have a great time.

Thanks!

I know I'll be happy, I was more worried about the hubby, but I think he'll do fine. I feel better after reading everyone's responses. :D

He'll absolutely be fine. Having never been on a cruise before, he'll have no frame of reference with which to compare it with. That first cruise is always exciting and you don't have the past experiences to measure it up against.

He will have an wonderful time. DW and I took our first cruise on the Fantasy, which is an older ship. All we knew was we were on a ship and ready to cruise. Since then we have been on the Liberty and 3 times on the Glory with another Glory sailing coming up. The ships in the Conquest class are really nice. Dont listen to the complaints, people want everything to be perfect or they will make noise. We heard lots of bad things about the Sunshine but had a great cruise.

Neither of us is prone to motion sickness, but I'm thinking of getting some Dramamine, just in case. Should we start taking it a few days before?

Any other advice? Thanks!!!

If you have any concerns whatsoever, start taking Ginger Root the week before your cruise. It's great!

• 5 weeks later...