The Upgrade Fairy Called!!!

1tonysmom

DH and I are sailing aboard the Carnival Paradise in 11 days. We originally planned to cruise with our daughter, but due to her prior commitments, we cancelled her booking 10 days ago (big brother is babysitting). We had an outside cabin on Upper deck booked, but the Upgrade Fairy called today to see if we wanted to upgrade to a Grand Suite for a pretty reasonable charge. Personally I think they wanted to resell that outside quint cabin, but I'm certainly not complaining.

We are celebrating DH's birthday and our 15th anniversary so I decided to go for it! I'm keeping it a surprise until we board the ship. DH knows I have something planned, but I think he will be pleasantly surprised (at least until the credit card bill comes in, lol) with our cabin change. I'm debating on whether to purchase cabin decorations. Has anyone ever done that and are they worth it?

Any advice is appreciated. Happy cruising. :D

Persnally, I'd be so excited by the upgraded cabin, I wouldn't care about decorations! :) anyway, you asked are they worth it.....well, you can certainly buy the same stuff yourself for a lower price but you lose the impact of opening the door and it's all there! I think there is a picture on the carnival website of what it looks like, or maybe someone here has posted pics, sorry I don't have any. I would say go for it, if you like the streamers and things like that...or save the money and use it for drinks or steakhouse dinner...

It was technically an upsell, but with port charges it was about $1350 for two of us. I priced it out online prior to taking it and it saved us at least $500 total so I'm really happy. First time in a suite of any kind, let alone a Grand Suite. Our first Carnival cruise was on the Paradise in an inside cabin right across from the Grand Suites. I remember peeking in when housekeeping was cleaning one and hoping to someday be able to cruise in one.

The truth of the matter is I'm usually pretty frugal, but I figured I'd splurge for our anniversary and hubby's birthday. And it appears we got a pretty good price to boot. Only 10 more days until vacation! I feel cruising fever coming on!!!

I've cruised MANY times, but what exactly is an outside cabin??? Jealous of the Grand Suite!!! Way to go!!

An Outside (or Oceanview) cabin is a cabin with a window but no balcony. They are nice if you want to have natural light and to be able to see what the weather is like outside (or if you're like me and feel claustrophobic and closed in if you're in an inside cabin) but don't want to (or can't) spend the money on a balcony cabin or suite. Grand Suites are really nice, I've had 3 in the past!! :D

An Outside (or Oceanview) cabin is a cabin with a window but no balcony. They are nice if you want to have natural light and to be able to see what the weather is like outside (or if you're like me and feel claustrophobic and closed in if you're in an inside cabin) but don't want to (or can't) spend the money on a balcony cabin or suite. Grand Suites are really nice, I've had 3 in the past!! :D

Thanks!! I've had the Scenic Ocean Views and they're AWSOME. Not the OV tho. Only way we could do a grand suite, if it's an up sale which normally is cheaper or an up grade which I'm not holding my breath for. But one can hope!! LOL

Thanks!! I've had the Scenic Ocean Views and they're AWSOME. Not the OV tho. Only way we could do a grand suite, if it's an up sale which normally is cheaper or an up grade which I'm not holding my breath for. But one can hope!! LOL

This is the second time we've been offered an upsell. The first time was interior to ocean view and it was no big bargain (plus cabins were located in an area I didn't want to be). This time the cabin is in a great location, plus the price was so good I couldn't pass it up. We didn't start getting offers until we reached platinum status. Maybe that's just coincidental.

I ordered the room decorations for our 44th aniversery last week on the Liberty. Wife was surprised. Posters on the wall and streamers from the center of the room. Also order the champaign and glasses. Had two grand suites before . The extra room , storage and priorty boarding make it worth the price

It was technically an upsell, but with port charges it was about $1350 for two of us. I priced it out online prior to taking it and it saved us at least $500 total so I'm really happy. First time in a suite of any kind, let alone a Grand Suite. Our first Carnival cruise was on the Paradise in an inside cabin right across from the Grand Suites. I remember peeking in when housekeeping was cleaning one and hoping to someday be able to cruise in one.

The truth of the matter is I'm usually pretty frugal, but I figured I'd splurge for our anniversary and hubby's birthday. And it appears we got a pretty good price to boot. Only 10 more days until vacation! I feel cruising fever coming on!!!

We would have passed on the upsell.

That is so great!! My family of four was upsold from a regular balcony to a grand suite. Loved it! My 11 year old DD (at the time 11) took a whirlpool bath everyday. My DDs still ask when we will get another Grand Suite....not till the Upsell Fairy calls:D!

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Good for you for choosing what's best for your celebration!

Personally, I love the cabin decorations and think it means a lot to the person you get them for - be it the Bon Voyage for a first timer or a birthday one. Nice to be able to recognize your door too :) I think it's worth the $35 but I am the type that appreciates that kind of thing!

We got a call a week ago from the upsell fairy for our 11/14 cruise on the Glory. $400 from OS to GS. Jumped all over that since it was less than 1/4 the price it would be to get into the GS from an OS.

This will be my 3rd cruise and 2nd upsell. Don't think that being a certain VIFP status makes a difference.

Our first cruise was the Paradise and we were in grand suite U89. You'll love the balcony.

We sailed the Breeze last month and friends of ours had their cabin decorated from Bon Voyage. They were adorable decorations!

Enjoy your grand suite!