Cruising Alaska with Little Ones

CruisinQban

Good morning fellow cruisers! I am new to this board, but not new to cruising! I've been on 10-12 cruises, mostly Mexico and Caribbean, and once to Alaska. When my husband and I went to Alaska we were blown away and would like to bring our kids with us in 2017. Planning ahead! They will be 5 and 3 at the time. I am pretty good about picking out the excursions that would interest them, but my question is, has anyone cruised Princess to Alaska with little kids? From my last experience, they were a phenomenal line, but Alaska cruises in general really are an older crowd. Would you recommend a different line for families when traveling there? Thank you!

All ages sail Alaska. But you are not going to find the difference in demographics you would in the Caribbean between the cruise lines. In Alaska they are going to be very similar.

A LOT changes with children over 2 years. Closer to your sailing time, take a look at excursions then.

Thank you for your response! I was more concerned about which line would be best in general, of course, I'll check excursions closer to sail:)

"Best" is totally subjective. :) What you will find is RAVE reviews from every cruise sailing Alaska.

Instead, I suggest you find out about Alaska, research each port- unlike the Caribbean - each is very different from the others, and absolutely worth seeing (no crappy add on ports :) ) Figure out your port activities and rank them. Determine- what routes you want to take, which will narrow down your selections. Don't underestimate budgets. :)

I am not sure that there is a best line for children other than Disney. We are grandparents and only once have cruised with grandchildren....but we got to hand them back to their parents on a regular basis.;) What I can say is that everyone that I know who has sailed on Princess with their children swear by Princess's children's programs.

Last summer I took a ten day cruise from San Francisco to Alaska with my grandsons (ages 3 and 5). My first thought when I read your question is "Princess Pelican Clubs!!" Both of my grandsons loved the activities, and the staff were wonderful in keeping them entertained and safe. It will also give you and your husband time together without the children. Don't feel guilty about using the Pelican's Club, you may have to drag your children out of the playroom!

Frequent rest periods are necessary (for all). Sea air and all of that walking will take a absolute cherub and turn the cherub into a whiny tempest. There are many quiet nooks about the ship for snuggly storytimes. My two grandsons loved people watching and listeniing the to music. Don't discount letting them have a whirl on the dancefloor.

I have noted that every Princess cruise I've taken the staff on Princess have been wonderful with children and try to accommodate their needs.

Have a great time!

Edited by jean95404