Related to Galvetson Flooding thread, flying in rain

ghjcmo

Good afternoon all,

I'm scheduled to fly into Houston Saturday morning, departing on the Triumph that afternoon. I see now HEAVY RAIN is predicted for Saturday. I'm reaching out to anyone who might have a lot of flying experience.

I know we can't predict the weather for sure but assume for a second the heavy rain predictions are true. Is that the kind of weather that will cancel or delay a flight? I've flown in bad weather to extent, even landed in a snow storm in Denver one time. But never heavy weather. I'm scheduled to get in at 9:30 and I need to be at the port no later than 3, so I have a little time but not a lot to spare.

I'm trying to gauge the consensus on what people think the odds of my flight being cancelled or significantly delayed. Because I can alter flight plans (at a significant increase) to late Friday night but I've kind of already busted the budget for this trip and i hate to add on another $500 or so to the trip.

Thanks, as I said I know we can't predict, but I thought somebody may have experience landing in rain storms.

Good afternoon all,

I'm scheduled to fly into Houston Saturday morning, departing on the Triumph that afternoon. I see now HEAVY RAIN is predicted for Saturday. I'm reaching out to anyone who might have a lot of flying experience.

I know we can't predict the weather for sure but assume for a second the heavy rain predictions are true. Is that the kind of weather that will cancel or delay a flight? I've flown in bad weather to extent, even landed in a snow storm in Denver one time. But never heavy weather. I'm scheduled to get in at 9:30 and I need to be at the port no later than 3, so I have a little time but not a lot to spare.

I'm trying to gauge the consensus on what people think the odds of my flight being cancelled or significantly delayed. Because I can alter flight plans (at a significant increase) to late Friday night but I've kind of already busted the budget for this trip and i hate to add on another $500 or so to the trip.

Thanks, as I said I know we can't predict, but I thought somebody may have experience landing in rain storms.

your unlikely to have trouble landing in heavy weather . You have to define heavy weather . The only things that might delay or cancel are thunderstorms , fog and a few other things that don't occur in south Texas.

Well they are predicting t-storms and heavy rain. Although the last I saw seemed to be leaning towards just heavy rain. (Of course it doesn't help matters when weather.com says one thing and accuweather.com says something else.)

I figure if they can land in heavy rain, I'll be okay, I don't figure even if there are t-storms that they'll be continuous all day.

I haven't ever had a thunderstorm issue that didn't have snow related to it. Growing up I flew to my dad's in Erie Pa for Christmas, from Florida, and I got to see quite the difference in weather and snow and especially ice can really mess up air plans. On a plane they usually fly above all that and when they need to land they know when to land to avoid the storms. I am sure there are others that may have a different story but this is my experience. I personally don't care to fly the day of, for a cruise because any thing can occur but I have also flown the day of and had no issues. I'd say most of the time we worry more than we need to. But hey you know I am worrying about flooding and that's why I've been posting haha. But really I just wanted to know what streets to avoid and what I may come across during my travels to Houston and Galveston.

Oh I totally agree with you on flying the day before, which I normally do. But this is an 11 day cruise and I'm already off work for 1 day short of two weeks and another day wasn't really an option. Plus I got an incredibly cheap flight on Saturday.

You're probably also right about worrying too much. You know I'd thought about hurricanes this whole time I've been waiting for this cruise, but it never one time occurred to me to even really think about just a "regular" weather system. Here in MO, t-storms aren't too common that late in the year.

But I guess this is part of a tropical system that came up from the gulf with a LOT of moisture. If it's not one thing, it's another.

As for the flooding, I guess I'm hoping that if I'm on the ground and on the Carnival transfer bus and on the way down to Galveston and are delayed by flooded roads, that surely they won't leave without a BUNCH of passengers that are enroute. But that maybe wishful thinking on my part.

I'm pretty sure if you're on a carnival transfer bus they won't leave you. Plus if that bus can't make it I'm sure a ton of cars couldn't. I guess you get to be the guinea pig before my trip lol. I wish you nothing but the best. And since I live in Oklahoma I too never really paid much thought to there being weather worries. And man I'm jealous, 11 days? I could sail on a hundred day cruise, I'm sure of it...

Thanks for the well wishes Riseagain. And good luck to you for your Sunday cruise. Maybe we'll both luck out and they'll miss their forecast. Wouldn't be the first time. LOL

Edited by ghjcmo

You know Riseagain, it just occurred to me the problem is twofold. I was reading your thread about flooding, in particular the part about Harborside Drive flooding.

It's not like our ships are just sitting there waiting on us, they're on their way to port and not only do we have to go to our ships, the current passengers have to be able to get off before we can get on.

This could be kind of a cluster this weekend. Just bad luck I guess. Hopefully they'll be off on their forecast, and we'll get to go.

Yep, that's the smart play and normally what I do. I couldn't pull it off this time though. Just looked at the local forecasts for the Houston area and it looks SLIGHTLY more favorable at this time.

Good luck to everyone travelling into Galveston this weekend.

Rain generally won't slow things down too much. The problem becomes with how heavy the rain is and what it's doing to the visibility. If the rain brings the visibility or ceiling (lowest cloud layer) down to limits where planes have to land on instruments, it can slow down the arrival rates considerably.

If the weather is good, we (I'm a pilot) can look outside and see the airport and other airplanes. This is common and allows air traffic control to reduce the separation between airplanes...not drastically, but can shave a couple of miles of space in between airplanes. It's perfectly safe and happens all the time. When the weather is down and we can't see other traffic or the field, they have to put more space in between each airplane...at least 5 miles. This causes them to not be able to land as many planes in a certain time period, which is what I'm talking about with arrival rates. Flights shouldn't really cancel in this situation, but there could be delay programs going up. They'll either hold the flight on the ground for a short time before releasing it or they'll slow the airplane down in the air. This is accomplished by reducing speed or a series of turns to separate traffic.

Thunderstorms are a different animal. If there's a thunderstorm over the field, I can guarantee you no one is taking off or landing. However, heavy thunderstorms don't last too long.

Intercontinental (IAH) is an interesting airport. If the winds are out of the west and favoring the west runways, they can land more airplanes than they can if they're out of the east. They can use all 3 runways for arrivals and they conflict less with departures. If they're landing to the east, they can't land quite as many planes because they can't really use the south runway, as it conflicts with departures.

Hope this makes sense. I was based out of IAH for 2 and a half years and flew in and out of there for almost 9 years.

Thank you very much EMB. as of right now the the forecast for HOU is looking good this morning and as of now my flight is on time.

Now once I get there I may have other issues (flooding around the cruise port). But as of right now I'm feeling ok about the flight.

As stated in my other post -on Gulf Coast Departures - flooding would be a miracle as there has been NO rain - none - zero!

It is humid, but that needs to cut with a knife - not liquid:p

Rain is expected later today, basically after 6pm, moving east to Louisiana Sunday morning.

The little street flooding on the island has been caused by higher than normal tides - which is NOT caused by Patricia, but winds from the Gulf pushing north.

We are not under any storm, flood or any other type of advisory.