Any Chance of Encountering Rough Seas in and around Seattle?

How rough are the seas in and around Seattle and Vancouver? I expect our cruise aboard Mercury next week to encounter some rain - will we also encounter high seas and rough weather on the ocean on our way to Vancouver? Or will we remain in protected waters? I am not worried about our voyage through the inside passage, just the portion of open ocean (if any) we will have to cross as we depart Seattle.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi sailfish, We just returned from a PNW cruise. We did have one day out of Vancouver that we rocked & rolled just a bit.(1/2 the day) It made me a bit sea sick. I went down to the Dr's office and they gave me a free dose of Bonnie. I was fine in about 45 min. The seas really were not that bad I am just a wimp for motion sickness. If you do take Bonnie it will make you sleepy. Hava a great cruise. Good luck with the weather.

The stretch between Seattle and Vancouver is fairly sheltered because you're in between two mountain ranges most of the trip. The exception to that is when you're passing the Straight of Juan de Fuca, where the winds can be stronger.

I found this website (thank you, Navy!) that has probably more info than you need about ships and rought weather in the Pacific NW:

https://www.npmod.navy.mil/PSAPG/PSAPG.htm

Here's a relevant passage about wave height:

"Wave motion in the waters of Puget Sound is limited by the complex shape of the geography of the Puget Sound basin. Straight line distances are relatively short, so wave generation is restricted due to lack of fetch. In general, wave heights in most of Puget Sound are limited to approximately six ft with gale force winds (34-47 kt). The Strait of Juan de Fuca does not have the fetch limit restriction for east-southeasterly and west-northwesterly winds, however. Wave motion at the mid-point of the Strait can exceed 15 ft for some direction, wind speed and duration combinations. "

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Suzi,

I am from Washington State. The weather around here has been just lovely the last few weeks. There has been some rain and it's been a bit chilly, but winds have been low. The water should be fairly calm for your trip. Let's hope it stays that way!

Archived