Pay Extra for Santuary or Balcony?

gdoyle

I would choose a balcony. I'm not a sun worshipper, but I love being out on my private deck at all hours and wouldn't want to be limited to the times the Sanctuary is open. Besides, I can't drink coffee in my jammies in the Sanctuary!;)

Balcony is a completely different cruise experience, no matter what size it is. We’ve been in all cabin types on Princess – Penthouse suites to inside. The only benefit I see in an inside cabin other than the price is you can sleep all day and not know when the sun is up unless you have the ship cam on the tv.

I’ve NEVER seen the Sanctuary full. That’s not to say it never is, but I have numerous pictures of it completely empty or only one or two people there on beautiful sunny days. I often wonder why they keep it, but they must make money with it on cruises I’m not on, or perhaps closing off a section of the ship costs less in upkeep.

Interesting that someone says they have booked the sanctuary,,,as you can't do that until you are on board!!! Enjoy a balcony.

If you are referring to my post, I didn't indicate that I booked the Sanctuary BEFORE I boarded. I was saying that we have booked both. :)

Definitely a balcony. If you can get one of the larger ones that would be great. I've had a balcony on my last two cruises. I love being able to walk out onto the balcony any time of the day or night and enjoy the balcony. I take a small pillow to put behind my back and have been comfortable.

First - to the op. - you can book a balcony and have a sure thing or take your chances on getting the sanctuary. Unless you are elite and very quick on your feet your chances are slim.

To the later poster who commented that they always see the sanctuary empty. That doesn't mean it's not sold out. All that means is folks aren't in their chairs. One of the advantages of the sanctuary is the ability to come and go and not worry about finding a chair. The comfort is important to some and very worth it for us. We also enjoy the service and the peace.