Carnival buiding a dock in Belize?

weakerthan

I heard a rumor that Carnival is building a dock in Belize. Is this true? If so, does anybody know when it will be completed?

I'm hoping it will be built in time for my cruise on the Valor in December. Tendering sounds like a pain.

I apologize if this has already been discussed.

I heard a rumor that Carnival is building a dock in Belize. Is this true? If so, does anybody know when it will be completed?

I'm hoping it will be built in time for my cruise on the Valor in December. Tendering sounds like a pain.

I apologize if this has already been discussed.

Yep - it has been discussed many times - no problem...

They have been talking about that since (at least) 2003. There are issues with the govt there - a deal was "made" w/CCL - but evidently not by everyone who should of had a "say" in the process... it is in LIMBO:rolleyes:

The tender ride there does take some time - a pier would be GREAT - but there is NO WAY there will be one built this year - or even next, unless something "happens"....

Tom

Having been to Belize (two years ago), I didn't think the tender ride was too bad, only about 10 minutes each way really....the boats went really fast and had a lot of people on them. I struggle with the idea of Carnival being able to build a dock at Belize, the ship has to be a couple of miles out due to the vast coral reef along the coast. Any dock would either be VERY long or Carnival would possibly be destroying a natural habitat....now I am no huge environmentalist or anything, but I really don't want to see that beautiful reef destroyed either.

Having been to Belize (two years ago), I didn't think the tender ride was too bad, only about 10 minutes each way really....the boats went really fast and had a lot of people on them. I struggle with the idea of Carnival being able to build a dock at Belize, the ship has to be a couple of miles out due to the vast coral reef along the coast. Any dock would either be VERY long or Carnival would possibly be destroying a natural habitat....now I am no huge environmentalist or anything, but I really don't want to see that beautiful reef destroyed either.

Fortunately (UNfortunately) there is a large area of DEAD reef there which they had planned to dredge a path through... at least that was the story, and that particular aspect of the project has never come up (to my knowledge) when reading the news clips of those who oppose the pier. I feel if it were an issue, THEY would be bringing that up too...

HOT OFF THE PRESSES... I just googled an interesting update... it would seem the project is about to BEGIN!!! :

http://www.reporter.bz/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=522&Itemid=2

Tom

I love the idea of a pier in Belize! I can't wait to go back to Belize and finally see it finished in a few years. So the way the article reads, does it mean that other ships (other than Carnival) will be allowed to use the pier? Probably at a cost back to Carnival, huh?

I loved Belize and thought it to be a great port!

Cruizinrican:)

Archived