NCL Pearl 10 day Alaska 2016

biojeep

I would like feedback from those who have taken this itinerary on the Pearl in the past. I am concerned that the May 5,2016 may be too early in the season. Have sailed on the Pearl in late May in 2012 & loved the ship. Any info/input would be appreciated.

I'm going to be a first time cruiser when the Pearl pulls anchor and sails out of Vancouver on May 5. I have absolutely no doubt that this is the perfect time to go. That's a personal choice based on my likes, dislikes and from reading about cruising off & on over the years. I don't mind (and even like) cooler/colder weather so if it's not Spring in Alaska during my cruise, I don't care - if there's still snow around, all the better. Nights should be in the 30s, the days in the upper 60s/lower 70s - it sounds like shorts for me most of the time. (Before anyone gets all excited about the shorts: I've done the Swiss Alps in latter October and Sweden in mid November - shorts. No problem.) Historically, on average for the route, May is one of the drier months - it gets wetter as the year passes. One of the biggest draws for me is that, from what I understand, there aren't quite so many other tourists during this time of the year. I've looked at a number of other cruise line schedules and it appears that the Pearl will possibly be the only ship on one or two of the stops - excellent.

And, the main reason I picked this cruise in particular has nothing at all to do with the month - it stops in Sitka. :) (My main criteria: May & Sitka.) The Russian past is fascinating to me - I have a Russian friend (one of the nicest people I know) and he's not even heard of Sitka! I'm anxious to tell him about my short time there.

So, there you go - not exactly what you were wanting... :D

I would like feedback from those who have taken this itinerary on the Pearl in the past. I am concerned that the May 5,2016 may be too early in the season. Have sailed on the Pearl in late May in 2012 & loved the ship. Any info/input would be appreciated.

We went in May on our Alaska cruise. You will be fine plus it will be cheaper because it is considered early season....it just means that its not warm warm like middle of summer. Fewer kids will be on the ship because school is still going on so that is a plus. We were still able to hit the hot tubs each night and it was the best time that we had. My wife packed mittens but she is naturally cold blooded. I had a extra fleece jacket on and was just fine. If you are looking to do fishing in port the season might be too early for a few things but there is always something to be caught. It's Alaska... its better than seeing a corn/soybean field any day of the week.

We did the 10-day Alaska on the Pearl this last May. We loved it!

1. The longer itinerary goes to more ports than the 7 day. Getting into Sitka and Icy Strait Point were real treats.

2. It is early in the season but there is more light later in the day than at the end of the season when you get the other 10-day cruise.

3. As others said, fewer crowds, better fares, fewer children if that is an issue for you.

4. The Pearl is a wonderful ship.

5. The weather was much better than I expected. We had very little rain and most of the days were sunny, though I must say the locals said they were surprised at how good the weather was. I think even mid-summer you are going to have a variety of weather.

We took the same ports 10 day on the Sun this year 5/8 -5/18 and the weather was perfect, no rain not much mist. It was great to be on deck for Glacier Bay, I would suggest this is THE best Alaska cruise available, the Pearl probably a better ship than the Sun. Never been on the Pearl, but my cruises on the Gem tell me I would also like the Pearl.

We are on this sailing also for pretty much the same reasons as above...chance to see Sitka and ISP with fewer crowds and less bugs. 10 days is perfect and we cannot wait. This is a bucket list. Raise for us and we will be celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary the day we cruise Glacier Bay...how cool is that!

We are on this sailing also for pretty much the same reasons as above...chance to see Sitka and ISP with fewer crowds and less bugs. 10 days is perfect and we cannot wait. This is a bucket list. Raise for us and we will be celebrating our 47th wedding anniversary the day we cruise Glacier Bay...how cool is that!

Very cool

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to be a first time cruiser when the Pearl pulls anchor and sails out of Vancouver on May 5. I have absolutely no doubt that this is the perfect time to go. That's a personal choice based on my likes, dislikes and from reading about cruising off & on over the years. I don't mind (and even like) cooler/colder weather so if it's not Spring in Alaska during my cruise, I don't care - if there's still snow around, all the better. Nights should be in the 30s, the days in the upper 60s/lower 70s - it sounds like shorts for me most of the time. (Before anyone gets all excited about the shorts: I've done the Swiss Alps in latter October and Sweden in mid November - shorts. No problem.) Historically, on average for the route, May is one of the drier months - it gets wetter as the year passes. One of the biggest draws for me is that, from what I understand, there aren't quite so many other tourists during this time of the year. I've looked at a number of other cruise line schedules and it appears that the Pearl will possibly be the only ship on one or two of the stops - excellent.

And, the main reason I picked this cruise in particular has nothing at all to do with the month - it stops in Sitka. :) (My main criteria: May & Sitka.) The Russian past is fascinating to me - I have a Russian friend (one of the nicest people I know) and he's not even heard of Sitka! I'm anxious to tell him about my short time there.

We will be on the May 5th Pearl. This will be our third Alaskan cruise. First end of June and wet. Second, first week of May, dry and very warm!! Also, less ships to contend with in port. First cruise we visited Sitka and didn't feel we were there long enough. This last August we flew up there for a week and really loved it, so another day will be great. Think 10 days vs 7 will be great!

We went on this 10 day cruise on the Pearl in May 2015. This is the 2nd time we cruised Alaska in early May. It was a wonderful cruise. There are a lot less tourists but all the excursions are going for the season. The weather was nice. We wore fleece jackets most days, some days we didn't even need a jacket. We saw lots of whales and the seas were good.

I honestly would do this same exact cruise again in the same time of year. You won't regret booking the cruise for early May.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for that information, especially regarding the weather. We will be on that cruise as well having joined the ship in Miami. We are doing a 31 day cruise.

We are really looking forward to visiting Sitka, it sounds amazing..