Vegan menu on Ecstasy?

crackerob2001

I was wondering if any of you are Vegans and if you know about the menu aboard Ecstasy? I will be cruising on her in January and was curious. I plan on contacting Carnival for more info, but was hoping to hear from a past Vegan passenger and their experience.

Thanks!

I was wondering if any of you are Vegans and if you know about the menu aboard Ecstasy? I will be cruising on her in January and was curious. I plan on contacting Carnival for more info, but was hoping to hear from a past Vegan passenger and their experience.

Thanks!

I'm not a Vegan but when I sailed on the Ecstasy 2 years ago there were no special menus for Vegans (or anyone else).

Thanks!

If you have a special need, I suggest you contact the special needs department. There are tons of threads on here for people with celiacs or other dietary restrictions who meet with the maitre'd each night and arrange a suitable menu for the following day. There is usually one vegetarian entree each night but typically includes eggs and or cheese so that won't work for you. There are a few items, gazpacho, salads, and the vegetable sides etc that are clearly vegan but those are few and far between.

Thanks!

There is always a vegetarian option, although sometimes it seems like leftovers. Especially the Indian option, it tasted like it had been sitting a long time. I found it was better to order steamed vegetables and a few sides like baked potato etc.

There is always a vegetarian option, although sometimes it seems like leftovers. Especially the Indian option, it tasted like it had been sitting a long time. I found it was better to order steamed vegetables and a few sides like baked potato etc.

That's odd, since I've always had a very good experience getting the Indian vegetarian entrée. It's usually one of the more predictably-good options on the menu. That said, it's generally not vegan and wouldn't be an option for the OP.

Do a thread search. Lots of threads come up.

Treat it as an 'allergy'-- go to the MDR when it opens and talk with the hostess about that night's options.

Except that it's clearly not an allergy but a personal choice.

Correct, BUT a vegan suddenly eating animal products can have severe digestion issues, so sticking with the diet is necessary unless they want to be stuck in their stateroom or the medical center for a large portion of their trip. You can't flip back and forth easily between vegan and non-vegan. And most of the vegetarian options on board still have some animal products in them, like butter, dairy, egg products, etc., they just don't have meats, chicken, fish, etc. There's not much choice, other than plain salad and plain vegetables. If I were a vegan, I would absolutely contact the special needs department, as it IS a special need. It's not life or death, but neither is a mild to moderate allergy.

You're right it's not an allergy, we do allergy protocols onboard when traveling with certain family members. But meat and dairy can mess up a vegan's system. Hence the 'treat it as an allergy' statement. Talk with the hostesses and waiters ahead of time, every night. That way the Vegan will know what they are getting and the chef can create something within their parameters. Depending on the chef, wonderful things can happen.

At one time Curt Jerome Wild ran a whole vegan/veggie group of threads on CC' Friends of Cruise Critic boards. I think the original group got dropped but he has other threads. You might want to find that and then just pop a post in one.

But in the main, vegans on Carnival ships eat very well and no human DNA has been found in their food:D:rolleyes: If you are a long time vegan you probably have a pretty good idea of what you can and cannot eat and you can always ask questions. Carnival's Special needs Department is very good about noting food preferences and you'll work with the Maitre d' and hostess staff and your waiter to select your food in the MDR and they can guide you along the buffet for choices.

So there's no special menu. BTW, while you need to ask questions about the Indian vegetarian dishes preparation, these are very good and you get a lot of food.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

I'm not a vegan anymore, but in the past when I sailed with Carnival on a vegan diet I was amazed at how accommodating they were. Every night they would prepare a special vegan meal for me, they even made me my own dessert. It was amazing how far reaching their customer service was. My recommendation would be to e-mail the maitre'd before you sail and let them know your dietary restrictions so that even on the first night you can be accommodated.

I am on the Elation in 3 days but signed up for the Your Time dining so unless we can get it changed at the last minute, I don't think there will be any special help from the wait staff for me. I don't know if I will get any guidance when we embark but hopeful!

I am on the Elation in 3 days but signed up for the Your Time dining so unless we can get it changed at the last minute, I don't think there will be any special help from the wait staff for me. I don't know if I will get any guidance when we embark but hopeful!

Special diets are accommodated with ATD. The night before you'll have ordered your meal with the hostess or waiter (first day go to the MDR when it opens). The hostess will ask for your cabin number and your order slip will be brought to your waitstaff as you are seated. It's a very easy and smooth process.

You will have no problem being accommodated. Just speak to the Maitre D when you get on the ship (they will be at one of the dining rooms). Then each night someone will take your order for the next night, and whoever your wait staff is on the next night will be told of your order.