Oosterdam VF8120 cabin ? for 1st timers

kenie

We have booked our first cruise. The 14 day Southern Caribbean in Feb 2017.

Our agent has booked us into VF8120 which is an aft cabin on the Navigation deck. She felt it would be a good choice due to its close proximity to the Lido deck..

Is this a good cabin location?

We don't mind paying more for a better location as we want to make this cruise as enjoyable as possible.

On occasion, my wife will get motion sickness while in the car but she suffers from migraines. I understand that in Feb. the Caribbean is usually calm. Should we be looking for a location more midship and a bit lower?

We want to have as big of a balcony as possible.

How are noise levels around the elevators?

Are there locations to avoid?

Thanks.

If your wife is prone to motion sickness, l would look at the deck plans and choose one that is lower. Can't remember which (deck 4 or 5) but one has larger decks. Midship toward the aft elevator banks is ok. Elevators not a problem.

You are directly under the lido deck where you will experience noise in the early morning when they are setting up the loungers (chairs dragging back and forth). If you don't think you'll be bothered by it, you should be fine. I'd take the location, but would bring ear plugs.

You usually don't have much noise around elevators; we've had a cabin across from the elevator area and had no issues with noise.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

We love being close to the mid-ship elevators and have never had any noise problem. Watch deck 8 under the pool/lido area, there is usually some amount of noise coming from somewhere.

A clue for those prone to seasickness, go low and toward the middle of the ship. The closer to the middle the less forward to back motion and the lower the less side to side motion.

If you don't mind the price check the SS suites on deck 6 near the mid-ship elevators. We love those suites and really don't care about the extra $$ for a Neptune suite, don't need it.

Those SS suites will give you a tub and separate shower plus 2 sinks in the bathroom, a much larger cabin with a nice sofa and 2 chairs and a lovely veranda, lots of storage area and room to spread out. For 14 days I would take a larger cabin if $ is no problem. Happy sailing, we love HAL......

Any opinions on the VD cabins around VD7090 or 7095?

My wife is a late sleeper and I would want to minimize any early morning noise. Also, with the cabin layout on that deck there wouldn't be a lot of foot traffic from the elevators.

This still keeps us close to the Lido, etc.

kenie

Either of the 7090 or 7095 would be fine for noise. You won't have the Lido pool and sunbathing area directly above you, yet you are still in close proximity to the Lido and all the amenities there.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

If that balcony size is important I'd go with something on Deck 4 as the veranda staterooms there have a depth of 7.5 feet rather than the standard 6 feet. You would have to go up to category to a VC but there are several towards the aft still available. That is the area we normally book and no noise from foot traffic and the elevators are close. AND remember, everything is just a quick elevator ride away!

The higher up you go the more your DW will feel the motion of the ship.