Thermal Suite on Allure

I'm just looking for information on the facilities, etc. and whether it's worth buying a week or day pass. I've been to top spas in Vegas and love the facilities. What do they offer, other than heated loungers? Is there a small pool to access or water features?

Allure/Oasis do not have a hot tub in or near the spa area. The spa on these ships is located on a lower deck, so to access a hot tub, you'd have to leave and go up topside. Robes, towels, slides, and access to the locker rooms (with bathrooms/showers) are included with the thermal suite pass, which you can usually get at the beginning of the cruise. We have paid $189 plus gratuity for a couples pass for a seven-night cruise. That pricing is several years old, now, though.

The thermal suite has heated ceramic lounges, a sauna, steam room, and aromatherapy room, as well as two specialty showers, which have rain/waterfall/storm/mist settings and "mood lighting." There is also a separate relaxation room with nice chairs and ice water. The sauna and steam rooms are not particularly large and the seating is not well designed. You can end up sitting on top of a steam vent, so when the steam comes on, you have to move your legs so you don't get scalded.

Depending on the number of people on any given cruise who get the week-long pass and how they behave, it can be a very nice experience, or it can be crowded and noisy. The sauna and steam rooms are smallish, and though the thermal suite is nicely decorated, there is no natural light. If you can find the quieter times, it's nice, though. To get our money's worth, we tried to use the area at least twice a day.

The locker rooms are not directly connected to the thermal suite--you have to go down the hallway. Note that the men's locker room is rather small and cramped if there are a couple of guys in there at once. I think the women's locker room is larger but I have no direct experience (just comparing pictures I have seen).

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Thanks. For a ship that lauds itself as a resort at sea, this is one area that it seems they could focus more on. Royal emphasises the entertainment, Carnival focuses on the spa. From what you've indicated, a week pass isn't worth it with so many other things to do.

I would say my view is definitely slanted, because I prefer Royal's older ships that still have separate men's and women's facilities in the fitness center locker rooms. Others report very much enjoying the thermal suites on Royal's ships. It all depends on what you're used to and what you're looking for.

Part of our enjoyment of a cruise is the down time relaxing in the spa area, so when we tried Oasis and Allure, we did the couple's pass for the week, since the thermal suite is the only sauna/steam room available. Although these ships are beautiful, and the entertainment is spectacular, we're probably not likely to book on this class again because of the thermal suite situation, among other reasons.