Voom Internet Question

So this is what I found out, but take it with a grain of salt:

I called AT&T and they said that the wifi calling would only work from the United States, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands.

I called Royal Caribbean and they said that the Anthem's Voom Internet Point of Presence (at least for the cruises from Cape Liberty to the Bahamas) was in the United States.

So basically, if everything I was told is correct, if you are on one of these cruises and purchase a Voom package, you should be able to turn off cellular service while keeping wifi on and then will be able to make and receive calls and texts on your compatible AT&T phone without any additional charges beyond what you would pay US national coverage plan (assuming you have a US plan with AT&T).

FYI: you must activate the wifi calling service from your phone (a one-time process) ahead of time. There is no charge for this.

I hope this helps others. If anyone has heard anything that supports or disproves this, I would be very interested in hearing about it.

The last person I spoke to at AT&T wireless was in some sort of "International" department where they deal with specialty packages like the purchase of a cruise ship add-on plan. I kept telling the original agent, who wanted to transfer me to this department, that while I was interested in the cruise packages, I wanted to know about the wifi calling first and wasn't sure if that department would be the right department to start with.

When I spoke to this "International" department, the representative seemed to be comfortable with the subject of wifi calling. When she explained that wifi calling was only available from the United States, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands (territories the AT&T wifi calling webpage mentions as being included in US coverage), I asked, "So if I try to make or receive calls or texts from the ship with cellular service shut off and wifi on, if it works, it is included and if it doesn't the wifi is originating from outside those territories?" or something along those lines. She said, "Yes." I then said that based on that, if it worked there would be no possible way to get hit with extra charges and a huge bill. She confidently backed my assertion. But as this is so new, and nobody seems to have any first hand knowledge of this, I am still a little skeptical.

I also asked about the cruise ship packages and how they worked. Her explanation was in line with what I have previously read. Basically, even incoming calls that go to voicemail are charged as one minute but incoming texts are free.

My final question to her was if I waited until on the ship and at sea, if the wifi calling did not work, would I then be able to sign up for a cruise ship cellular calling package or would it be too late? Also, at what rate would that initial call to 611, to set up the package, be charged? She said the 611 calls are always free, regardless of where you are, and that I could sign-up for a cruise cellular call package while at sea.