Foreign currency

Randolphkay

Peru also will accept US dollars.

One thing you might want to make sure of - your bills are in GREAT shape. If they have tears or corners missing or are very ratty - they will not take them in Costa Rica (don't know about other areas).

Also, if you don't want a LOT of foreign money in change - have smaller bills.

Pat

Have successfully used US $ in all these countries. Have only needed local currency for things like public buses but taxis take US$. Agree with the need for bills in good shape. Recommend you have a lot of smaller bills to minimize the need for change as may be in local currencies. The front desk can change larger bills for you.

Have a great cruise!

In tourist areas the vendors know that if they don't take your credit cards or the kind of cash you've got then they don't make the sale. (Public buses and ferries etc are a different matter.)

For me the problem with getting local currency is inevitably having some left unused at the end of the day. I figure I might as well get a "bad deal" using $US as giving away or throwing away local currency that I don't have any use for.

In tourist areas the vendors know that if they don't take your credit cards or the kind of cash you've got then they don't make the sale. (Public buses and ferries etc are a different matter.)

For me the problem with getting local currency is inevitably having some left unused at the end of the day. I figure I might as well get a "bad deal" using $US as giving away or throwing away local currency that I don't have any use for.

Our bank gladly accepts foreign currency for deposit. Not a great exchange rate, but we do come out ahead over all. They don't take coins, of course, but they go to the grandchildren in hopes it will instill a desire to travel...

Our experience in Argentina was that you got a much better rate if you paid in USD. Restaurant total would be in Argentinian currency, but they wrote in the USD at the top. Offical exchange rate was 8.something to 1 USD. Restaurants were giving 12 to 1.

Our bank gladly accepts foreign currency for deposit. Not a great exchange rate, but we do come out ahead over all. They don't take coins, of course, but they go to the grandchildren in hopes it will instill a desire to travel...

Sometimes you can exchange other country's to US currency at the front desk but as with any bank, not a great exchange rate as they have a 3 or 5% charge. Have learned to keep any local currency as long as not a huge amount as one never knows when you will be back there again!

Our experience in Argentina was that you got a much better rate if you paid in USD. Restaurant total would be in Argentinian currency, but they wrote in the USD at the top. Offical exchange rate was 8.something to 1 USD. Restaurants were giving 12 to 1.

Found the same in Peru as would guess the merchants keep the currency until the rates are most favorable, then exchange.

Thank you so much for all your help. Will stick with US money and get small amount if needed at the different ports.

Once decided to take the local bus and asked a street vendor to exchange US$ to local currency for the fare. Worked great after I finally figured out how much I needed in US$ to get the bus fare.