Younger Active River Cruise

ActiveCouple

Looking for suggestions for river cruises which have a younger (40-55) and more active (biking, hiking, kayaking) emphasis. Thanks!:)

There are several factors that affect demographic, IMO and IME.

Shorter cruises (7 days) attract a younger demographic as do particular theme cruises.

We are on the younger end of river cruisers and very active. AMA is our preferred line as they provide more of the experiences we prefer. They offer biking tours in many ports and we were very happy that they have added a hiking option to our upcoming Rhine cruise as well as the included bike tours.

Our recent Uniworld cruise had one kayak tour and one hike but the overall experience was of an older demographic; this was true of onboard entertainment as well as excursions.

We have had the most fun on our AMA cruises and find the onboard personality suits us very well and the best of the three lines we have experienced.

We are in our 40's and taking an Avalon cruise. I think a vacation can be as active as you want to make it.

While that may be true, the OP was asking about river cruises that offer the most to active travelers. IMO and IME, that is AMA as they include active excursions and options. Otherwise, one would have to plan and research on their own.

and not try to just get "younger" age group. We ve been doing them since when we were in our 40 s. Just picked area we wanted to see, did our own thing in ea.port.Or choose to participate in tours,activities avail.Have always enjoyed ourselves ,,,no matter WHAT the age of cruisers.Most in good shape,both physical and mental. Well traveled and interesting, good educations,etc.....why limit yourself.Give one company a try, if not for you,try another. So much depends on your finances,what we could afford in our 40 s different now.

and not try to just get "younger" age group. We ve been doing them since when we were in our 40 s. Just picked area we wanted to see, did our own thing in ea.port.Or choose to participate in tours,activities avail.Have always enjoyed ourselves ,,,no matter WHAT the age of cruisers.Most in good shape,both physical and mental. Well traveled and interesting, good educations,etc.....why limit yourself.Give one company a try, if not for you,try another. So much depends on your finances,what we could afford in our 40 s different now.

I agree that I would pick the itinerary, ship, and level of inclusiveness you prefer and not worry a great deal about the demographics as it can change from cruise to cruise and you will find a good percentage of active cruisers regardless of age.

If you prefer as my wife and I to be really active then there are a few things I would make sure the cruise company, specific ship, and specific cruise all have. For instance I would make sure the cruise ship I chose had bikes, fitness room, trek sticks, etc... This at least allows you to make whatever cruise you are on more active. We sailed with Uniworld last year and made good use of these. We rode bikes at least 5 of the 7 days of the cruise. We used the fitness room every day(They also had an indoor pool with current that we used). They also had a fitness director who scheduled bike tours, yoga, water aerobics, etc...

Then as others have said make sure your specific itinerary has bike tours, active tours, hikes etc...

From my research I believe there are 4 lines that consistently offer these type of amenities: Uniworld, Tauck, Scenic, and AMA. We are in our early 50s and found the level of activity wore us out even though we are really active -ha.

Most lines offer similar itineraries. For us, the devil is in the details and there has been a significant difference in onboard personalities of the various lines.

I look at itinerary first but the line that I choose is very important. If it were not offered by a line I am interested in I would not go. YMMV.