Carnival Dream Western vs Carnival Vista 12 day Med...a dilemma.

Velvetwater

I have posted this in the Ask a question board also...

As you can see I am from the UK and have been booked on the Vista for a while. However I have recently learnt that NOLA flight prices have dropped and if my magic our desirable Vista cabin is now available for an August Dream sailing. Husband particularly has wanted to go to NOLA as have I and we are both quite keen to go to other Carribean places (only been to Cayman on our PC cruise). I know for many on this board a Med cruise seems exotic but for us this side a Carribean cruise is exotic also so I guess I am asking if its worth getting over my fear of flying again to spend 5 days in our Dream US city and cruise or to stay safe and take a train to the Med and sail Carnival's fab new ship. I actually asked this on my FB roll call too and they were helpful.

Carnival Dream 7 day cruise to Belize,Roatan and Cozumel and 5/6 days in NOLA

Positives

- More exotic and visiting countries we have not been to

- Belize (Our desired Carribean port due to history etc)

-NOLA is our numero uno US city to visit (Food,Alcohol,Music and History)

- Still cruising on a large ship (That had a tandoor yippee)

- Our flights give us a long layover in NJ so we can do some city stuff there or in New York

- We would be cruising on our Wedding anniversary (we always seem to be doing that with Carnival)

- Husband gets a land holiday and I get a cruise

Negatives

-Flying on 4 planes there and back which is terrifying for me. I know I have done it before but as soon as I book flights I go into panic mode

-We will lose our £300 ($450) Vista deposit I think (not sure if you can change)

- Older ship with No Guys or Mexican place

- Less days at sea and many sea days

- £500 ($750)more expensive due to staying in NOLA

-Possiblity of ports being cancelled as its Hurricane season

- Out of our comfort zone as we are so used to Europe (TBH this is also a positive)

Carnival Vista 12 day cruise with 3 days in Barcelona

Positives

-We keep the £300 we have already paid

-No flying as we go by train

- Brand new ship with Skyride and Guys/Mexican place

-More days at sea

-Get to go to Croatia (one of the few places we havent been to yet)

- Cheaper by £500 due to no flights

- Husband gets to see his Italian volcano (Celebrity cancelled out tour last year)

Negatives

- We have been to almost all the countries before

- We have been to 4 of the ports before due to our Celebrity cruise last year

- Too much in our usual holiday vein (this could be seen as a positive)

- I takes us to Italy for the 5th time

- Possibility of Croatia being cancelled (thus no new countries seen)

- It would end the Vista build up I have heavily been involved with

- less time on land for hubby although we have been to Barcelona before.

Well, you make this hard because you have 7 positives and 7 negatives for each lol.

For me, the most important thing is the ship, most of your hours are right on the ship. Vista new with more bells and whistles but Dream is our favorite Carnival ship.

Here are my personal thoughts:

I feel that with all the craziness happening in this world, that your safer going out of NOLA and cruising the Caribbean than taking a cruise that goes to the european countries, you love the Dream (the Vista will be here in the USA eventually so you can always go on her another time), Your husband prefers land based trips and you cruise so this gives you both what you prefer, you love NOLA, and you been to all those other countries anyways, go on the Dream.

As far as the four flights, granted you can deal with delays, cancellations possibly but I rather fly four flights each way than go to the other countries, in these days nobody is safe anywhere but I feel your much safer out of NOLA and to the caribbean for sure!

Edited by lyndamr

I feel that with all the craziness happening in this world, that your safer going out of NOLA and cruising the Caribbean than taking a cruise that goes to the european countries,

Just out of curiosity, what do you think is happening in Europe right now?

OP, what is it that YOU really want to do?

Is there any possibility that you could keep your plans and then do the NOLA trip the next year?

If money isn't a bother (losing your deposit, then the added cost of staying in NOLA and the flights £800?)

Then by all means, change, as there's a possibility you might not get around to doing this trip in the near future. I'd love to see the city.

You did mention that it would be around hurricane season, so don't forget that Belize is a tender port so there is some chance that your itinerary might change or miss tender ports due to potential storms.

There's a lot to consider, maybe call up Carnival and ask about the penalties of changing your booking, although i'm sure as Brits we forefit any deposit amount for change/cancellations.

As far as your fear of flying, have you thought about taking the classes that many airports offer to combat fear? I know heathrow and gatwick do them, what's your nearest airport?

Alternatively, your Dr can give you some happy pills for when you board.

Velvet, I can see you are still thinking about this. You cannot cancel your Med cruise what about all of us on your roll call LOL!!!

Having read this post here, I think you should go to NOLA your heart is clearly there. If the air fare is right now go for it, it might be more expensive the year after.

As far as your carnival deposit goes, if you booked ES with Carnival.com you will get this as a future cruise credit less $100 and you can put this towards your Dream cruise. If you booked it with Carnival.UK ring them and ask if they can do anything.

Follow your heart. You only live once and who knows what will happen in the future, maybe little ones and then you are paying for more, I know I have three to pay for, hopefully only a few more years and number one son will be paying for himself and not wanting to come with us.

Thanks for the responses..I have a lot of thinking to do!

My husband says losing the £300 is an issue for him although I can always try to do something about that. Someone suggested waiting out a week or so and if flights go up/that cabin goes then that will give me my answer (either if its there book and if its not my dissapointment will tell me what I should have done).

I guess the Vista is more unusual for Carnival and NOLA is a more normal route we could do another time but kids are on the horizon for us as heather rightly deduced. Theres also the fact that husband isn't too keen on a cruise in 2017 and the fact I have my eye on Carnival's Asia offerings then too. Although I guess we could sail on Vista's sister in 2018.

I think I know where my heart is, its just my fear is in that same place too!

I have posted this in the Ask a question board also...

As you can see I am from the UK and have been booked on the Vista for a while. However I have recently learnt that NOLA flight prices have dropped and if my magic our desirable Vista cabin is now available for an August Dream sailing. Husband particularly has wanted to go to NOLA as have I and we are both quite keen to go to other Carribean places (only been to Cayman on our PC cruise). I know for many on this board a Med cruise seems exotic but for us this side a Carribean cruise is exotic also so I guess I am asking if its worth getting over my fear of flying again to spend 5 days in our Dream US city and cruise or to stay safe and take a train to the Med and sail Carnival's fab new ship. I actually asked this on my FB roll call too and they were helpful.

Carnival Dream 7 day cruise to Belize,Roatan and Cozumel and 5/6 days in NOLA

Positives

- More exotic and visiting countries we have not been to

- Belize (Our desired Carribean port due to history etc)

-NOLA is our numero uno US city to visit (Food,Alcohol,Music and History)

- Still cruising on a large ship (That had a tandoor yippee)

- Our flights give us a long layover in NJ so we can do some city stuff there or in New York

- We would be cruising on our Wedding anniversary (we always seem to be doing that with Carnival)

- Husband gets a land holiday and I get a cruise

Negatives

-Flying on 4 planes there and back which is terrifying for me. I know I have done it before but as soon as I book flights I go into panic mode

-We will lose our £300 ($450) Vista deposit I think (not sure if you can change)

- Older ship with No Guys or Mexican place

- Less days at sea and many sea days

- £500 ($750)more expensive due to staying in NOLA

-Possiblity of ports being cancelled as its Hurricane season

- Out of our comfort zone as we are so used to Europe (TBH this is also a positive)

Carnival Vista 12 day cruise with 3 days in Barcelona

Positives

-We keep the £300 we have already paid

-No flying as we go by train

- Brand new ship with Skyride and Guys/Mexican place

-More days at sea

-Get to go to Croatia (one of the few places we havent been to yet)

- Cheaper by £500 due to no flights

- Husband gets to see his Italian volcano (Celebrity cancelled out tour last year)

Negatives

- We have been to almost all the countries before

- We have been to 4 of the ports before due to our Celebrity cruise last year

- Too much in our usual holiday vein (this could be seen as a positive)

- I takes us to Italy for the 5th time

- Possibility of Croatia being cancelled (thus no new countries seen)

- It would end the Vista build up I have heavily been involved with

- less time on land for hubby although we have been to Barcelona before.

Velvetwater...have you considered doing a Transatlantic on the Vista, then a short flight (or train ride) to NOLA and doing that cruise...would solve all your dilemmas :D

Velvetwater...have you considered doing a Transatlantic on the Vista, then a short flight (or train ride) to NOLA and doing that cruise...would solve all your dilemmas :D

We both work in education so repo transatlantics are never an option for us. We do plan to do a transatlantic very far in the future though on Cunard since they are the only option in our time frame.

Not rang yet Heather as work has been manic. Husband is now up for the NOLA plan in 2017 even though he said no cruise as he would get a land Holiday still. Then theres Carnival Asia and Carnival Aus about to tempt him (Oz is his ideal place to go also).

Wish I had money and time for a world cruise...then I would be sorted.:D