Flights/Deviations/LAX-Istanbul to Venice-LAX

Bruin Steve

I guess it's all coming together...

My TA finally got info back on my deviation request:

July 11-12: Song (Delta) Flight #2011, LAX to JFK 8:20am to 4:35pm

Delta #072 , JFK to Istanbul 5:20pm to 10:15am

July 30: Lufthansa #4081 Venice to Frankfurt, 10:55am to 12:25pm

Lufthansa #450, Frankfurt to LAX, 2:05pm to 4:35pm

That's not too bad...The dates were picked to get us into Istanbul two days before the cruise and out of Venice two days after...The flight times seem decent.

The only concern with the flights is that 45 minute window at JFK to get from one flight to the other...I guess I have to hope if there are any delays, they're with the second leg rather than the first...

The cost they quoted my TA in writing was TOTAL $150 per person (including deviation charges)...

Considering the total air price now comes to $1523 per person (including taxes, surcharges and the deviation fees and costs)...and I could book on my own, according to Expedia.com, for as low as $1481 (but with far more inconvenient flights), or, with a little more flight selection, for $1500...I still figure it makes sense to stick with Oceania...the $23 to $42 per person is counterbalanced by the fact that, on my own, I'd have to pay and ticket now...By doing it through Oceania, I pay on my final payment date...and if I have to back out of the cruise before that, I'm not stuck with tickets I can't use...

All in all, though, the "Free Air" come-on is really just that (as we already know)...it's a come-on...YOU PAY for the air--pretty much exactly what it cost...In any event, it hardly matters--it is what it is...

Where I DO make out here is with the hotels--I have reserved some fairly nice hotels for the 4 total nights for a grand total (depending on swings in the exchange rate) of around $580...or $145 per night (a little less in Istanbul, a little more in Venice), so the deviation idea easily makes sense...

It still brings me to the question of why Oceania doesn't offer as an alternative, more reasonably priced hotels? $1000 0r $1400 for ONE night in Venice proper (or $900/$1300, taking into account the transfer value) is excessive for most travelers. If Celebrity was able to offer me a 2 night Venice pre-cruise in a very nice hotel for $359 per person, why can't Oceania?

I would have been more than happy to have left everything in Oceania's hands and pay a small premium on the hotel packages if the $$ amopunts weren't SO far out of whack...Instead, I'm paying an extra $300 on my "free air" (though I'm not really all that convinvced that flying in on Tuesday/Wednesday and out on Sunday cost them any more than my flying in on Thursday/Friday and flying out on Friday--Remember, I just gave them dates and let THEM pick the flights)...And I'm booking my own hotels, so they make nothing in the way of a premium...And I'm arranging my own local transportation (so they lose whatever profit they have built into the transfers)...

Oh well, My cost has gone up slightly, but, at least I can move on and arrange the rest of the trip...

"July 11-12: Song (Delta) Flight #2011, LAX to JFK 8:20am to 4:35pm

Delta #072 , JFK to Istanbul 5:20pm to 10:15am"

That short connection time would worry me especially for an international connection. Too bad they couldn't get you on a nonstop flight from LAX to Europe. If you miss that flight from JFK, what the alternative?

When I had a connection at JFK, the flight to Istanbul didn't leave from way over on the international side. It was just a gate or two down from where I arrived. There was, however, a gate change. I walked all the way over to the international side and then had to walk all the way back. I think 45 minutes is enough time, even if you do have to go over to the international side, as long as you're not late arriving at JFK. It's not a horrendously long walk.

BRUIN STEVE wrote : in part

"It still brings me to the question of why Oceania doesn't offer as an alternative, more reasonably priced hotels? $1000 0r $1400 for ONE night in Venice proper (or $900/$1300, taking into account the transfer value) is excessive for most travelers. ...."

This has been recommended to the "powers that be" at "O" by members at this board over and over.. maybe if they keep reading it someone will get a clue that not everyone cares to spend that much money on hotel rooms.

Archived