Back Aboard LIBERTY, A PIC HEAVY Recap of a Great Cruise.

seannyice81

I have been following along, as usual, and just finished the last part of your review. I can't believe it's over already.

I have enjoyed this one, just as I have your others and I really love the pictures you get. And next time we get to do this itinerary, whenever that may be, I'd love to take the tour you did to get over to Nevis. We were actually able to see it this time, but didn't get over there. I don't remember seeing a review before where anyone has gone to Nevis, so glad you shared that.

It sounds like you all had a great time. That flight back sounded terrible though, but at least you got to see Liberty on her way, that would have been cool. Our flights, themselves, were fine when we went in September, but DH's luggage was lost on the way to San Juan. We flew out of the other Washington Airport, Dulles, and a lazy employee couldn't find the other baggage tag with SJU on it, so he just grabbed one that was on the counter of the other worker and stuck it on his and it ended up in Kentucky. In San Juan, there was another suitcase that was unclaimed - guaranteed someone was looking for it in Kentucky. They did get DH's to Liberty, good thing we flew down a day early.

Thanks again for another review!

Great review, as always, Sean!:D

Was so looking forward to doing this itinerary next summer, until they pulled Liberty and replaced her with Fascination.:mad::mad:

I know this is TRULY about the itinerary, but I just can't bring myself to sail on a ship that old and hardly any balconies.

I am truly bumming....

Pictures were beautiful! Great Job!

And it sounds like Carnival did a great job with your "dietary" restrictions.

Sounds like a great cruise overall!!!

Looking forward to your next review....

I have been following along, as usual, and just finished the last part of your review. I can't believe it's over already.

I have enjoyed this one, just as I have your others and I really love the pictures you get. And next time we get to do this itinerary, whenever that may be, I'd love to take the tour you did to get over to Nevis. We were actually able to see it this time, but didn't get over there. I don't remember seeing a review before where anyone has gone to Nevis, so glad you shared that.

It sounds like you all had a great time. That flight back sounded terrible though, but at least you got to see Liberty on her way, that would have been cool. Our flights, themselves, were fine when we went in September, but DH's luggage was lost on the way to San Juan. We flew out of the other Washington Airport, Dulles, and a lazy employee couldn't find the other baggage tag with SJU on it, so he just grabbed one that was on the counter of the other worker and stuck it on his and it ended up in Kentucky. In San Juan, there was another suitcase that was unclaimed - guaranteed someone was looking for it in Kentucky. They did get DH's to Liberty, good thing we flew down a day early.

Thanks again for another review!

Thanks for reading!

Hard to believe it was weeks ago already...

It's true. I think because it's just easier to stay in St. Kitts I suppose. Perhaps it was the cost of the excursion too ($130). I really want to do a more detailed land-tour of Nevis if I do this itinerary again. I hope you see and enjoy the "little brother island."

Stinks about the luggage and flights. JetBlue has always been hit or miss for me, but (knocking on wood) have yet to be read my riot act, so far.

Since you're also a local feel free to add me over on a popular social media page. Just message me, so I know who you are. My page is my username here minus the numbers. :)

Great review, as always, Sean!:D

Was so looking forward to doing this itinerary next summer, until they pulled Liberty and replaced her with Fascination.

I know this is TRULY about the itinerary, but I just can't bring myself to sail on a ship that old and hardly any balconies.

I am truly bumming....

Pictures were beautiful! Great Job!

And it sounds like Carnival did a great job with your "dietary" restrictions.

Sounds like a great cruise overall!!!

Looking forward to your next review....

Thanks!

To be honest, I've been considering this itinerary on Fascination. Yes, there are not as many bells and whistles on the ship, and the lack of balconies. That said though, this being a port intensive itinerary I don't think I'd mind all that much. Also, imagine having breakfast on one of those outside (bistro) tables on lido deck that are on the aft sides of the ship... I'd love to start my mornings like that :cool:.

Carnival really did excellent this cruise. More on that shortly, but I doubt I could have had a better ship "homecoming" of sorts on Liberty. I will be praising this cruise for some time to come.

Enjoy your next cruise!

Nice review - although your flight home sounds awful. It's never fun to end a great vacation with a lousy trip home.

Looks like the guy with the parrots in San Juan has added a bird since we visited!:)

Thanks for sharing your trip with us

Thanks!

The flight wasn't too bad honestly. Waiting for the plane was what stunk. I can honestly say that I heard more than my fair share of salsa music waiting in the terminal. Once on the plane, I had a beer and slept, lol. Woke up on descent :).

I do think one of the macaws is new. That cockatoo was so chill. :cool:

Thanks for another great review. I love your photos and details of the excursions.

I see you will be on the Vista next year. Looking forward to that trip report as well.

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you! This cruise is really looking to be something else and it will be my first time in Europe.

Good review, shame about the flight home, we have had the odd low trip home.

Thanks!

Odd low trip home?

Thanks for reading!

It's true. I think because it's just easier to stay in St. Kitts I suppose. Perhaps it was the cost of the excursion too ($130). I really want to do a more detailed land-tour of Nevis if I do this itinerary again. I hope you see and enjoy the "little brother island."

Stinks about the luggage and flights. JetBlue has always been hit or miss for me, but (knocking on wood) have yet to be read my riot act, so far.

Since you're also a local feel free to add me over on a popular social media page. Just message me, so I know who you are. My page is my username here minus the numbers. :)

Hey there! I just sent you a PM on that popular social media page. It might go to the "other" messages section.

OVERALL CRUISE EXPERIENCE 9 / 10!

This was truly an awesome cruise. There is really little I could complain about. There were times I didn't think I was going to be able to go with work and other issues. I'm certainly glad I did though because dang, its going to be near-impossible to top this one!

HIGHS

-Willingness to assist with diet needs.

-Interaction with crew/staff. Excellent attitudes, smiles, good discussion, humorous, and still professional. A+!

-Debarkation was the easiest and most efficient I've ever experienced.

-Lack of children in the "Adults Only" pools.

-Always being able to find a lounger somewhere

-Mostly excellent live music. Calypso (WITH steel drums!). Piano Bar singer with amazing voice.

-A real, live orchestra in the main shows!

-The ship on stick with strawberries and champagne! Getting a Liberty trophy was perfect a cherry on top of everything.

-Enjoying everything with some great friends

LOWS

-The condition of the aft pool. LINK

-No bitter & blanc

-Acoustic guitarist in the lobby ALL the time was a little much. No live latin music out of PR???

-Other passengers lack of spatial awareness and courtesy. They were clogging areas and bumping into me like no other cruise before.

-Aft sliding roof always seemed to close a little too early.

-And lastly (my fault) losing my sail & sign card somewhere in PR after the cruise. I like to keep them.

People that made a difference:

-Micheal in Shore Excursions

-Kris in Golden Dining Room

-Ivan in Golden Dining Room

-Katherine in Entertainment

-Octav our Cabin Steward

-Tijana at Alchemy Bar

Things I recommend:

-Ferry to St. John, Trunk Bay & Cruz Bay (on your own)

-Catamaran to Nevis, beach and snorkel

-Diamonds Steakhouse or Chef's Table

-El Yunque, but book longer tour if possible

-Booking Spa on embarkation day for decent deals

What I DON'T recommend:

-Rainforest Tram Ride in St. Lucia (unless you're a botanist)

-Behind the Fun Tour (losing most of your Sea Day morning, you will need to be up by 9, and will miss the Sea Day Brunch. Keep this for other cruises with more sea days)

I will miss Liberty even more now and am slightly saddened that the ship will operate the shorter more repetitive cruises to Mexico from Galveston (no offense TX). I feel like Liberty is more cut-out for more interesting itineraries. Maybe one of these days, I'll see it out of Norfolk...

Thanks again for reading!

The mother in me wants to tell you to get away from the fence in St Maarten LOL. I've seen the horror youtube movies of someone flying into the curb. The boys watched this and said we are so doing this there.. I said NO YOUR NOT. I don't have time to go to the hospital LOL. But good to hear there is a bar nearby... that's as close as they need to be :)

Your time in San Juan looked like money and time well spent. BUT ugg on the delays on flying home. Thats the worst, when your finally ready to go home but cant.

Aww man I'm so sad to have it end. You really tell a great tale.

So whats next for you vacation wise?

The mother in me wants to tell you to get away from the fence in St Maarten LOL. I've seen the horror youtube movies of someone flying into the curb. The boys watched this and said we are so doing this there.. I said NO YOUR NOT. I don't have time to go to the hospital LOL. But good to hear there is a bar nearby... that's as close as they need to be :)

Your time in San Juan looked like money and time well spent. BUT ugg on the delays on flying home. Thats the worst, when your finally ready to go home but cant.

Aww man I'm so sad to have it end. You really tell a great tale.

So whats next for you vacation wise?

Haha.. My mom was with me the first time I tried doing this in St. Maarten when I wasn't feeling well. She just looked at me like I was an idiot. You all should be there when the 747 arrives. MAKE SURE YOU'RE ON THE BEACH OR ROAD FOR IT! You will need to be back onboard by the time it takes off again. The Sunset Bar is pretty cool. If P is 18 or older, he can enjoy a drink or two there too (depending on what his mom says of course! lol).

Thanks again!

Next trip is on Royal in January, Then back to Carnival for two cruises (maybe one in spring too), before NCL Epic.

I've been heavily considering Hawaii in 2017, but I'm just waiting on the dates and rates.:cool:

Edited by seannyice81

You mentioned the water taxi in St. Maarten had one stop between Philipsburg and the ship at port. Could you tell me where that stop was?

Both stops were in Philipsburg. One was the pier mid-town (were I boarded) and the other was the part of town closer to the port area.

EXTRAS! PHOTOS THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT FOR MY SITE

Pulling into Cruz Bay in St. John.

DSC_0445_zpsi7blpyvt.jpg

Loading a cargo ship in Barbados.

DSC_0582_zpswpemotvf.jpg

Storms coming in St. Lucia.

DSC_0619_zpso7tiiqk5.jpg

The Turtle Time Bar in Nevis.

DSC_0678_zpsyvxjvkmh.jpg

The ferry in St. Maarten.

DSC_0735_zps2xkxkytt.jpg

Packed and ready to go with (one of the last) Freddy.

FullSizeRender-2_zps5asximmo.jpg

Thank you for a really great review that included excellent pictures. I loved your review so much that I also enjoyed reading others in your blog. I like your approach and admire your independence.

Unfortunately your flight back did seem quite crappy but fortunately it was on your way home not on your way to start your vacation. (still a ****ty but at least not a holiday destroyer!) I am genuinely eager to read your other vacation reviews. Warmest Regards!

Thank you for a really great review that included excellent pictures. I loved your review so much that I also enjoyed reading others in your blog. I like your approach and admire your independence.

Unfortunately your flight back did seem quite crappy but fortunately it was on your way home not on your way to start your vacation. (still a ****ty but at least not a holiday destroyer!) I am genuinely eager to read your other vacation reviews. Warmest Regards!

Thank you for enjoying my reviews!

More will be on the way for sure. Stay tuned for my first Royal Review in January. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sean.... quick question about St. Thomas. Did you dock at Havensight? I am sure I read Havensight... but wanted to double check and with your detail I figured you'd know! Thanks a bunch! Still stocking your photos..... they are amazing!

Edited by QTPieRye

Hi Sean.... quick question about St. Thomas. Did you dock at Havensight? I am sure I read Havensight... but wanted to double check and with your detail I figured you'd know! Thanks a bunch! Still stocking your photos..... they are amazing!

Sorry, I had not seen this sooner!

Yes, We did dock at Havensight. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dude- AWESOME read. Thanks for taking the time ...perfect. We did the southern on Liberty on 11/29...thanks for letting me relive it!!! Great job bro

Thanks for reading!

Thanks!

To be honest, I've been considering this itinerary on Fascination. Yes, there are not as many bells and whistles on the ship, and the lack of balconies. That said though, this being a port intensive itinerary I don't think I'd mind all that much. Also, imagine having breakfast on one of those outside (bistro) tables on lido deck that are on the aft sides of the ship... I'd love to start my mornings like that :cool:.

Carnival really did excellent this cruise. More on that shortly, but I doubt I could have had a better ship "homecoming" of sorts on Liberty. I will be praising this cruise for some time to come.

Enjoy your next cruise!

Thanks!

The flight wasn't too bad honestly. Waiting for the plane was what stunk. I can honestly say that I heard more than my fair share of salsa music waiting in the terminal. Once on the plane, I had a beer and slept, lol. Woke up on descent :).

I do think one of the macaws is new. That cockatoo was so chill. :cool:

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you! This cruise is really looking to be something else and it will be my first time in Europe.

Thanks!

Odd low trip home?

Dude- AWESOME read. Thanks for taking the time ...perfect. We did the southern on Liberty on 11/29...thanks for letting me relive it!!! Great job bro

Thank you very much! It was an awesome cruise and I hope (and get the feeling) yours was as well. :cool:

Thank you so much for all the time you put into this! Excellent!

Thank you! Time well spent :)

• 3 weeks later...