Diamond Head Beach Luau

CatieM80

Has anyone been to the Diamond Head Beach Luau? If so, would you recommend it? How far is it from the port? Finally, what kind of transportation did you use and what was the cost? I couldn't find any recent threads on this, so any feedback is quite appreciated! Thanks so much!

Catie

I can't figure out how to edit my original post, but I wanted to add that I am open to other luau recommendations as well. After my initial search, I see there are a lot of luau options in Honolulu! My main concern is that we can make it back to the ship on time (11:00 PM departure, but would like to be back by 10:00 PM if possible).

I can't figure out how to edit my original post, but I wanted to add that I am open to other luau recommendations as well. After my initial search, I see there are a lot of luau options in Honolulu! My main concern is that we can make it back to the ship on time (11:00 PM departure, but would like to be back by 10:00 PM if possible).

Hi CatieM80. We will also be in Honolulu until 11pm when we cruise and we're going to see the Chief's Luau. I've read a lot of great reviews for it, and they provide transportation if you need it for a very reasonable rate ($14 pp) and say they will have you back to the ship by 9:30 or so. It got great reviews on Tripadvisor. Hope that helps and hope you have a great cruise!!

Hi CatieM80. We will also be in Honolulu until 11pm when we cruise and we're going to see the Chief's Luau. I've read a lot of great reviews for it, and they provide transportation if you need it for a very reasonable rate ($14 pp) and say they will have you back to the ship by 9:30 or so. It got great reviews on Tripadvisor. Hope that helps and hope you have a great cruise!!

Thanks dogdaygirl! That one looks really fun too. Decisions, decisions! :) I hope you enjoy it and have a great cruise as well!

What kind of price did you get for Chief's Luau?

Hi Arderriland! We decided to go for the gusto and do the Royal seating, which includes a mini tour of their shark and sea turtle exhibits and the closest seats to the stage, for $149 for adults. But they have Standard seating for $82, and I think the next one is the Paradise seating for $113. We made the reservations throught their online site - http://www.chiefsluau.com/packages.htm - but you may be able to get it a little cheaper through one of the discount sites. We figured we may only get to do this once, so why not. lol We are just doing the luau, but they also have packages that include admission to the Sea Life Park as well.......if you have the time to do both.

Edited by dogdaygirl

Is Hale Koa for military only?

Hale Koa has gone back and forth for years. In theory it is for military, DoD and other related groups (those eligible to stay at the Hale Koa Hotel), but in practice they have sold unused tickets to anyone.

I would not count on reserving if you are not eligible.

If you are not retired military (Hale Koa Luau) go to The Chief's Luau or Paradise Cove. The cruise should have an excursion to the Paradise Cove Luau, which ensures you will not miss the ship.

I will be staying at the Hale Koa and have booked the luau. How do you feel it compares to others?

Hale Koa is my favorite for a lot of reasons. It might not have the best food or the best show, but is 1/2 to 2/3 cheaper than the other shows, I can walk to it and leave when I want, I am not stuck miles and miles from Waikiki and mostly I really enjoy being with military personnel, it brings me back to my youth on Oahu.

But the show is good and the food is good, it just is not as elaborate as some as the others, but there is not another one I'd rather go to.

Hale Koa is my favorite for a lot of reasons. It might not have the best food or the best show, but is 1/2 to 2/3 cheaper than the other shows, I can walk to it and leave when I want, I am not stuck miles and miles from Waikiki and mostly I really enjoy being with military personnel, it brings me back to my youth on Oahu.

But the show is good and the food is good, it just is not as elaborate as some as the others, but there is not another one I'd rather go to.

My late husband was in the Navy and spent time in Hawaii before he was disabled. This was back in the 60s and he didn't ever want to go back. When a friend found out he was retired out she suggested I check the Hale Koa out. With everything I have read and your comments I think I have made an excellent choice.

When we were in Waikiki a few years ago we went to the Hale Koa luau. We are not military, we called their entertainment office and went as "guests" of the hotel. There were quite a few empty seats so they try to fill them.