Cruise critic reviews

ausbod

I haven't been on Insignia since last year (late August), but it was the same as usual then. I don't think I'd change plans due to some reviews, but 39 days IS a long time, and if I ever take a long cruise like that, I'd want it to be the right one! We love the smaller ships as much as the bigger ships, but maybe some people prefer the bigger ones for longer cruises due to the extra food and other choices. Personally I don't notice the change in room size between the big and small ships, but on a port intensive cruise, I'm not in the room all that much except at night, so room size has never been a big consideration for me.

Thanks Roothy123. As you probably know our 28 November cruise, Cape Town to Buenos Aires is only 24 days and it is on the larger Marina where all of the cabins are larger than on the smaller ships. 39 days is a long time but the itinerary Singapore to Rome is enticing. As an older traveler (70s), I am concerned that none of the larger cabins on the small ships have stand alone showers. Designed for a time when a tub was a luxury but not so much for older people like me especially without grab bars. You would think they could figure that out. Young families aren't often found on longer cruises but that is just a pet peeve.

If I could find an interesting itinerary on the Marina or Rivera to places we haven't been, they would be my first choice. Still looking.

Thanks again.

So, I was amused by the review of a guest who thoroughly disliked it, and vowed not to experience again, because it was not modern enough. He stated he liked glass and chrome better. I know he's entitled to his opinion, but c'mon, what the heck did he expect?

This reminds me of the reviewer who went berserk in his review of my Crystal cruise. Too formal! Too stuffy! Nothing ever going on at the pool - no games, no hairy-chest contests! No photographers! The entire ship was filled with people who constantly have their pinkies thrust northwards! Dude clearly needed to go back to his preferred ship on Carnival. But I just couldn't help but shake my head and wonder...did he really have not a single inkling of the cruise he was about to take? And Crystal is no small piece of change. Why in the heck would someone shell out that kind of dough, and not even bother to find out anything about it?

By the way, that American Queen ship looks spectacular! :)

We are leaving on 28 November for a cruise on the Marina and we planned to sign up for a cruise on the Insignia while on board. But the Insignia seems to have quite a few recent poor reviews. Anyone have any personal experience? We are now hesitation to lock ourselves in to e 39 days on the Insignia in smaller cabins if the rest of the experience is not up to par.

I noticed this too. I read some of the reviews, they there appears to be a common thread. I have to say they sounded pretty rational and believable to me. Fortunately I'm going on Riviera, which continues to get consistently raving reviews...but I have to be honest and say that if I was considering Insignia right now, I'd be having some serious reservations.

I hope Oceania is paying attention to these reviews, because they are definitely a concern.

We are leaving on 28 November for a cruise on the Marina and we planned to sign up for a cruise on the Insignia while on board. But the Insignia seems to have quite a few recent poor reviews. Anyone have any personal experience? We are now hesitation to lock ourselves in to e 39 days on the Insignia in smaller cabins if the rest of the experience is not up to par.

Michael & Pat

Plano, TX

I haven't been on Insignia for at least a couple of years (she was under charter to Hapag-Lloyd much of that time), but she was completely renovated upon her return to the fleet; many of the crew rotate among the various ships; and there is no physical difference between Regatta, Nautica and Insignia. If Insignia has gotten more poor reviews than the other two, there is no logic except the guests themselves being more negative.

Anyway, I'm not concerned, we're signed up for 180 days in an ocean view cabin on Insignia. 39 days would be a piece of cake ;) .