Can a person take a low air-loss mattress on a HAL ship?

GoneJohnson

Probably a silly looking question. I sleep on a bed, powered or inflated by a computer/air pumps and moves through the night so I don't get pressure sores... for those that know what a low air-loss mattress is... it's simple. I lay mine on a bed box sporing in place of the mattress - perfect.

I've always used an alternating air pad on my other two cruises but never gone 21 days and my skins just not what it was. I could roll it up and mail it... no that won't work. Bring it as cargo? it rolls up good but still bulky.

I don't think CareVacations has them. I've asked but will be speaking to them soon about other items and putting the alternating air pad or low air-loss. I've used the alternating pressure pad and been okay ten days. My skin's just not as tough. Be great to have my good mattress. Real a necessity.

Too much work on both ends to deal with I suppose. I'm in MT, headed to Ft Lauderdale to San Diego in March.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Would suggest that you contact HAL's Special Needs Dept. directly and pose that question. Personally don't think it will be an issue but I would be concerned about it being damaged when it's loaded into the cargo bins to be taken on board. The long shore personnel that do this loading are more likely to pile luggage on top of it. Once you turn it over to the dock personnel there will be no special attention give to it...it just becomes general baggage. It probably won't be allowed to be brought on as a carry-on as it won't fit through the X-Ray machine.

You might consider contacting http://www.SpecialNeedsatSea.com and http://www.CareVacations.com to see if you could rent one instead. There's company are approved to have their personnel bring the rental items directly on board the ship

I can't answer your question but I can tell you that HAL mattress are very comfortable. A step above what you would expect. That will also provide you will an egg crate topper. As a former nurse, I can tell you the egg crate might be warm and cause you to sweat and stick to the sheets which can tear delicate skim. Just letting you know it is available.

I can't answer your question but I can tell you that HAL mattress are very comfortable. A step above what you would expect. That will also provide you will an egg crate topper. As a former nurse, I can tell you the egg crate might be warm and cause you to sweat and stick to the sheets which can tear delicate skim. Just letting you know it is available.

Yes 40 plus years in a wheelchair has taught me much. My two cruises down to the Mexican Rivera using the alternating air pad relevied some pressure... but I thought I pissed the bed it was sweat and the low air-loss blows and drys the skin. I kinda thought keeping me dry was bs until I experienced it.

I'll be okay on the alternating air pad I'm sure. But will check my options as it would/could be much better.

And yes I understand agree and worry about trying to bring it on as a cargo box. To many things to go wrong.

I'll keep giving this thought. -- thanks

I would caution you about this plan. As a SCI nurse with many years of experience in working with my clients on pressure ulcer prevention, I would not recommend taking a regular low air loss mattress on a cruise without also arranging the rental of a hospital bed frame (which you can get through CareVacations). The beds on the cruise ship are narrower than a twin or hospital bed mattress. This would result in the LAL mattress hanging off the side of the frame, which could result in a fall, especially in rough seas and would also make transfers difficult.

You might want to consider an overlay instead. A good quality high density foam overlay such as a Geomatt or Biogard AFT pad would work, and compresses small (before you open them) to take with you. Roho also makes a full mattress overlay, which, while expensive, provides even better pressure reduction than an foam overlay, and which you can inflate and place on the mattress (under the sheet). If you are familiar with a Roho wheelchair cushion, setting the amount of air in the overlay is similar, but I recommend using the trochanter when side lying as your landmark bony prominence.

Edited by Splinter
typo

I would caution you about this plan. As a SCI nurse with many years of experience in working with my clients on pressure ulcer prevention, I would not recommend taking a regular low air loss mattress on a cruise without also arranging the rental of a hospital bed frame (which you can get through CareVacations). The beds on the cruise ship are narrower than a twin or hospital bed mattress. This would result in the LAL mattress hanging off the side of the frame, which could result in a fall, especially in rough seas and would also make transfers difficult.

You might want to consider an overlay instead. A good quality high density foam overlay such as a Geomatt or Biogard AFT pad would work, and compresses small (before you open them) to take with you. Roho also makes a full mattress overlay, which, while expensive, provides even better pressure reduction than an foam overlay, and which you can inflate and place on the mattress (under the sheet). If you are familiar with a Roho wheelchair cushion, setting the amount of air in the overlay is similar, but I recommend using the trochanter when side lying as your landmark bony prominence.

It would fit so it must be narrower than ones you've seen. I'd love a wider one here at home. It just won't work logistically. I was just checking if something like this had done before/often. I'll bring the alternating air pad with a good quality memory foam top as it's worked good my only other two cruises. CareVacations put it on ship for me as I mailed it ahead of time that helped.

Yes, I am very familiar with the ROHO products. Currently sitting on a 6 year old ROHO now because a new RIDE cushion created problems last January. A change in material used to make the cushion made it to hard to sit on otherwise it was a great concept and the old one worked 4 or 5 years with minor modifications.

I am a side sleeper/layer but only right my Left side creates problems. My back works but I just don't sleep as well. Frustrates me I can't sleep on my left side. I have a very boney trochanter. - got to watch it.

I really do appreciate the input. I was curious.

Edited by GoneJohnson