Largest Bag You've Carried On?

HollandAvery

So your full size luggage was able to fit through the security scanners? We have a 29x18x?(never measure the length since they say it doesn't matter)

that I assumed we couldn't carry on since it was 29...but if you've been able to carry on something that large and fit it through the scanners...that would be great news.

I hate being separated from our luggage as well. On one of our other cruises (not Carnival) we watched some luggage get dropped into the ocean so ever since then we've been really paranoid about checking our luggage and just want to carry as much on ourselves as we can. The reason we got FTTF-so we could just drop it off in our room.

I didn't have a problem. I've only been on two Carnival cruises, though. Maybe I just got lucky.

Just curious? You are paying $60.00 so you can drop you luggage off in your room? But yet the $60.00 is also for getting your luggage to your room fast?

Personally we are getting FTTF so we can board earlier and be able to go straight to our room, and I would really like to have my luggage so I can get unpacked and be done with it for the week. It's a crap shoot whether you actually get your luggage any earlier than others. One time when all was supposed to have been delivered, we were short one bag and it was all the way down the hall many rooms away. We have never gotten luggage any sooner than 2 hours after boarding. Plus, love being ushered past the LONG lines to a tender and get on 1st!:cool:

Personally we are getting FTTF so we can board earlier and be able to go straight to our room, and I would really like to have my luggage so I can get unpacked and be done with it for the week. It's a crap shoot whether you actually get your luggage any earlier than others. One time when all was supposed to have been delivered, we were short one bag and it was all the way down the hall many rooms away. We have never gotten luggage any sooner than 2 hours after boarding. Plus, love being ushered past the LONG lines to a tender and get on 1st!:cool:

Forgot to say: also we would save save 1/2 the FTTF cost if we carried on as we tend to overtip the porters, hoping they will take extra care of our stuff. Pipedream I'm sure, but one can only hope. And I never gave it a thought that the 50 lb. limit was with the porters in mind. I'm sure they aren't that sensitive to whether it is too heavy for them. Just figured it is the same reason as on flights. There has to be some sort of limit to how much weight the ship can safely transport. They can't police obese people but can luggage.:p

We frequently cruise out of Galveston. We carry on all of our luggage. At least every other cruise, we have one of the porters tell us that our luggage is "too big", and that we need to turn it over to them. We just tell them "nope", and keep on walking.

It is a little bit of a hassle to haul them up onto the xray belt and off again, but is worth the peace of mind.

As long as the width and height (laying down) meet the regs.. (and almost 99% of the time it will)..carryon is the way to go.

*the weight limit is a suggestion..not a rule .. unless you are flying!

SO happy to hear this!

I figured the porters push because they are hoping for the tips. Which I feel bad they won't be getting from me because I just feel SO much better carrying on my own stuff. I definitely tip the shuttle driver though, since they load our luggage for us. Usually about $3-5 depending on which suitcases we bring and how many. 3 of them this time with one being semi-big.

Thank you thank you thank you again for this info about Galveston!

Last cruise we traveled with just carry-ons only. They measure 21 x 14.5 x 8. I get super paranoid about missing bags so we try to only travel with carry-ons. Loved being able to just walk off the plane and go straight to transportation and same on port. We had no problems at all with our bags going through security scanners.

Awesome, thank you!

And I'm so glad to hear from so many that I'm not the only one who is paranoid about checking my bags! Phew!

Just curious? You are paying $60.00 so you can drop you luggage off in your room? But yet the $60.00 is also for getting your luggage to your room fast?

We are paid $50 to drop our luggage off in our room right away so we can head to the Lido deck and grab lunch without dragging our luggage around (we don't feel safe checking it, due to lots of luggage getting lost, etc.). We also have it already there so we can unpack before many others who are still waiting on luggage. We are also using FTTF for the tender port (Grand Cayman), the special line at Guest Services, and the ability to get off first thing in the morning at debarkation. Those perks are definitely worth $50 to us.

Edited by HollandAvery

When I cruised from my home country I checked in this bad boy (the largest in the pic):

Dimensions 84.5cm x 52cm x 29cm...no problems and I was in a small UK port.

8de6af1bfe4b05bf0395fc9c579d6a48.jpg

Woah, awesome! That is definitely comforting! Our bag is certainly not quite that big so we should be perfect! :D