Bermuda Question?

elainmir

Two main reasons. A) Bermuda is a huge island. There are tons of things to do, and many sights. Why would you pay for a week on a cruise, spend 8 hours, when you could just fly there? It is not like Nassau or St.Maarten or Aruba with a few local-specific things, and then beaches. It's a huge destination. It also has a huge nightlife aspect, and many want to go to Bermuda at night. B) No island is close to it. I mean, you could do an 8 night cruise from Baltimore or New York with a sea day to Bermuda, one day (late arrival there), 2 sea days to Nassau, and then to Freeport (early departure), but not many would do that when they could hop on one cruise for a week to Bermuda and another for a week in the Bahamas.

Hope this helped! :D

I thought I read that the government there REQUIRED ships to stay in port for 2 days??

No, that isn't the case. Maybe for Carnival, but I know for a fact that Royal Caribbean has an itinerary like this:

Bayonne

Sea Day

Bermuda

Sea Day

St.Maarten

San Juan

Labadee

Sea Day

Sea Day

Bayonne

And NCL has one like

New York

Sea Day

Sea Day

San Juan

St.Thomas

Tortola

Sea

Bermuda

Sea

New York

I'm not aware of any such limitations and have seen a number of cruises with one day in Bermuda and some that arrive late in the day (6:00pm say) and stay through the next day and sail at 5:00pm.

When Bermuda is the only port of call on a 7 day cruise it makes Bermuda the "prize" so a one day port stop would not be particularly attractive.