new terminal in New York

bikeman688

I'm really dumb about the geography of NYC and its airports. Sorry. :o

When I cruised out of NYC on the LEGEND, everybody said I should have flown into Newark instead of JFK.

Isn't Brooklyn closer to JFK than Newark ? So when the new port is open JFK would be the airport of choice ? As I remember JFK was the only airport where I could catch a "redeye" from LA the night before the cruise. :)

I'm really dumb about the geography of NYC and its airports. Sorry. :o

When I cruised out of NYC on the LEGEND, everybody said I should have flown into Newark instead of JFK.

Isn't Brooklyn closer to JFK than Newark ? So when the new port is open JFK would be the airport of choice ? As I remember JFK was the only airport where I could catch a "redeye" from LA the night before the cruise. :)

o.k. - the worst choice for the new Brooklyn terminal would be Newark. Either JFK or LaGuardia would be o.k.. Traffic patterns would determine which of those would work out better on any given day.

My understanding is that the old docks currently used cannot accommodate the super megaliners currently being produced in the industry. The QM2, for example, was sticking out into the river when it was in port in NYC!

Not sure of the target date for the new Brooklyn terminal.

There will not be 2 terminals in NYC. Brooklyn is temporary until the docks in Manhattan are redone. They need upgrading very badly -- for example, most docks only have 1 public telephone, very limited seating, little or no food, and have no decor at all. But most importantly, they are not set up for the QM2 or other bigger ships to come. Piers will be closed down while work is on going. That's why the move to Brooklyn.

Brooklyn (Red Hook section) will avoid having to navigate to the west side of Manhattan which on weekends with all the street closures due to the many street fair activities can take longer than the ride in from Queens! You just sit in traffic without moving or have to go out of the way just to get back to the entrance to the port which changes at the whim of the Police and Port Authority. So at 11 AM 55th Street is open. Then at 11:15 AM, it is closed forcing you to go up and around to 59th Street!

MARAPRINCE

Archived