The Boss Lady Sails the Sunshine; Full Review with Pics

tdmullins

Today we were in Key West! This was my first time to this port. I had tried to plan a cruise that included Key West a couple of times, but they never worked out. Needless to say I was super excited!

I woke up and ran out to our balcony to check out our view. (The same thing I do EVERY morning of a cruise..lol) We had an awesome view of Sunset Key and the water from our balcony.

y.jpg

Don't you just love the ship shadow on the water?

It was time for me to go in search of some breakfast. I checked out the view of Key West from the Starboard side on my way to the Marketplace.

z.jpg

Pool area looks a lot different on port days.

empty%20pool.jpg

There were zero people at the Blue Iguana Cafe this morning, so I decided that I would try one of the breakfast burritos I had heard so many good things about.

blue%20iguana.jpg

I will be honest, I didn't care for it. The onions were VERY strong and overpowered everything. So I dug them out. The guy only gave me one small piece of sausage, so there really wasn't any taste of it. I feel like that it may have been a fluke, and I now wish I had tried it another day.

After eating it was time for us to head out.

leaving%20our%20cabin.jpg

See how excited we are?

To the gangway!!!!!

gangway_2.jpg

Before we knew it we were walking the gangway and headed out into beatiful Key West.

gangway%20key%20west.jpg

Okay...This is what I had planned for the day. Catch a cab at the port to take us to the Southernmost point first thing. From there we would walk back to the ship taking Duval Street. We would take our time, shop, eat, and take in the sights.

This is what actually happened:

We started walking towards Duvall street but only saw one or two cabs and they all were occupied. We did see a lot of bikes, electric carts, and those bicycle carts. We passed the Museum of Art and History.

za.jpg

Before we knew it we were on Duvall Street and still had not found a cab. So we just kept walking. We decided we would just walk until we found a cab. Honestly it's not that far of a walk to the southernmost point, its just over a mile. BUT, it was over 90 degrees that day and very humid. It wasn't the best temp for a casual two mile walk (there and back). We stopped along the way at Hard Rock Cafe for a guitar pin and once for bottled water. We eventually made it.

zd.jpg

zc%20pic.jpg

As you can tell from the pics, we opted out of waiting in line for a picture of just us with the buoy. It wasn't that important to us.

After hanging out here for awhile we started walking back towards the ship but took Whitehead street so that we could stop by Mile Marker 0.

ze.jpg

zf.jpg

We slowly made our way back to the ship, We had full intention on enjoying some Key Lime pie while in Key West. But we were so hot we never really felt like eating anything. I did walk by a lady eating a slice on a stick covered in chocolate. It looked awesome. I wish I had thought about grabbing a slice and taking it back to our cabin. But Tony had developed a large blister on the bottom of his foot and was ready to be back on the ship.

zg.jpg

zh.jpg

zi.jpg

Once we got back on the ship we both showered and cooled off. It felt really good being back in the AC. Speaking of AC, I ended up getting a phone call while Tony was in the shower from Guest Services apologizing for all the issues we had with it. They informed me that they were crediting my account $48 for the trouble. I was very surprised. I never expected nor wanted any money compensation for the AC. We just wanted it fixed, which they did. So we were already satisfied on how the situation was handled. Hats off to Carnival for going an extra mile to make sure a customer is happy.

After cooling down and I felt better, I realized I was hungry. We ended up going back to the Havana Bar for some more of the lunch offerings there. We sure do love those Cubanos and Empanadas. I also grabbed a few desserts and we ate in our cabin.

keywest%20lunch.jpg

The chocolate cake pops were very good. At this point I feel asleep...surprise! When I woke up....I ordered more chocolate cake from room service. Don't Judge!!!!

There were several boats out enjoying the day, including two or three speed boats. So I sat out on my balcony and watched for awhile.

zj.jpg

Before we knew it it was time to say goodbye to Key West. The ship pulled away from the dock then "spun" around giving us a great view of Key West as we headed out to sea.

zk.jpg

We stayed out on our balcony for awhile enjoying the view and snapping some pics.

zl%20pic.jpg

zm.jpg

It was back to the Marketplace for dinner again tonight. It was kinda crowded so we grabbed our plates and headed back to the Havana Bar. We really like it back there anyway. Tonights menu was Turkey and dressing, steak, chicken picata, and lasagna.

keywest%20dinner.jpg

Sorry the picture is a little dark, but it was dark back in the Havana Bar during dinner. I really liked the turkey and dressing. I also enjoyed the steak. There were two seperate pans of steaks, once labeled medium rare and the other I think was well. I was pleasantly surprised because its hard to get a real medium rare steak on a buffet. I did not like the lasagna at all.

We knew our plans for the night was going to include watching Ant Man on the big screen. So after dinner we headed to the coffee shop to grab a coffee before we went and grabbed our seats. We walked past the Alchemy Bar which seemed very polular.

alchemy%20bar.jpg

The Fun Hub, where you can access the internet is located right beside of the coffee/ milkshake bar.

funhub.jpg

I also checked out the line of people waiting to check in for My Time Dining.

mytime%20dining%20line.jpg

You checked in at this desk where they give you a pager. When your table is ready you actually go down to deck 3 to the dining room.

Where was the automatic hand washing machine? I want to try this in February [emoji137][emoji4][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one I used was located at the back of the Marketplace, before you excited to go to the Havana Bar. If I am not mistaken there was one located at the entrance of each door to the Marketplace also. I just never used those.

After getting our coffee we headed to the pool deck. We grabbed the seats right next to the door to the hallway leading to our cabin. (Remember that our room was the first door after entering the hallway from here.) It was handy because we grabbed our tablets and read while waiting on the movie. Right when it was time for the movie I was able to throw our tablets into the room and grabbed my throw blanket I had brought along with me from home.

premovie.jpg

There is something about sitting under the stars and out on the ocean that makes a movie so much better.

zp.jpg

After the movie we stepped back into the cabin to put my blanket away before heading down to the shops. I wanted to go back because earlier that day I had asked about a coffee mug that was in the window but could not find it in the store. When I asked about it I was informed that they no longer sell them. The fella working told me that if I would come back at 8:30 he would be able to get it out of the window and sell it to me.

When we walked into our cabin, I found this....

zq.jpg

A gift from CD Jaime. I was super excited!!! I had a feeling that my cruise buddy David (who I met on my very first cruise) was behind it. I confirmed this once I got home. Thanks David and Jaime!!

We were also greeted by this little guy. My first towel animal of the cruise due to the fact we were in the room so much in the evening. We had opted out of any kind of night service since we were lazy slugs the two nights before.

zr.jpg

When we got to the shops floor we walked right into the Mardi Gras party. Jaime Dee had the crowd going and everyone was having a blast.

zs.jpg

jaime%20mardi%20gras.jpg

After getting some beads and my coffee mug from the shop, we headed to the Ocean Plaza to see what was going on there.

We grabbed a seat and enjoyed the band Deja' Vu for awhile. We really enjoyed them, we also enjoyed watching everyone else having a good time.

zt.jpg

We stayed there til 11:30. I knew that was the time that they started serving the late night snacks in the Marketplace so we headed that direction to see what the offerings were.

Here is the menu. It was the same the next time we went, so I figured it stayed the same.

late%20night%20snacks%20menu.jpg

late%20night%20snacks.jpg

We also decided that now was a good time to try out the pizza.

zu.jpg

zv.jpg

We loved it!!! We deemed it the best cruise pizza we had ever had.

After stuffing ourselves we headed back to the cabin and gave into cruise sleep at around 1.

The next morning we were scheduled to dock in Nassau at noon, therefore when I woke up we were still sailing. We were sailing pretty slow but still sailing all the same.

nassau%20morning.jpg

I decided breakfast this morning would be another trip to the marketplace for a plate of goodies to eat in our cabin.

nassau%20breakfast.jpg

Around noon I went out to our balcony to watch us pull into Nassau. I grabbed some footage of the light house.

nassau%20lighthouse.jpg

I could see the Fantasy up ahead and was excited to see her again. Our very first cruise was on the Fantasy where I fell in love with cruising.

pulling%20into%20nassau.jpg

I had my camera all ready to get some shots of the Fantasy as we pulled in beside her, but we started slowly spin around. It appeared we were now going to back into our spot. So now I had a view of NCL Sky and the Enchantment of the Seas. I had an awesome cruise with my family on the Enchantment, so I always enjoy seeing her again.

backing%20in%202.jpg

It appeared that the Sky was getting ready for some sort of BBQ as we pulled in beside of her.

ncl_1.jpg

I just started reading your review & it's already brought back some fond memories.

We were on the Sunshine last November (2014) and also had a spa cabin! It was up on deck 12 and on the port side, however. I loved the location except only 2 elevators went up to our deck, but that just meant a little more exercise, which isn't bad, and the inside of the cabin seemed a little shabby. But I'd book another one in a heartbeat (if I could get a good price). Don't you love how they have the lounge chair in addition to the 2 regular chairs on your balcony?

Anyway, thanks for the great pics! I feel like I'm cruising again...a trip down memory lane!

I just started reading your review & it's already brought back some fond memories.

We were on the Sunshine last November (2014) and also had a spa cabin! It was up on deck 12 and on the port side, however. I loved the location except only 2 elevators went up to our deck, but that just meant a little more exercise, which isn't bad, and the inside of the cabin seemed a little shabby. But I'd book another one in a heartbeat (if I could get a good price). Don't you love how they have the lounge chair in addition to the 2 regular chairs on your balcony?

Anyway, thanks for the great pics! I feel like I'm cruising again...a trip down memory lane!

I didn't have the lounger. :( I think the deck 10 spa cabins have smaller balconies than deck 12. It was a decent size but not lounger sized. I did like the room because it did seem bigger than some of the pictures I saw of the standard balcony rooms. I would for sure book it again if the price was right.

We stayed out on our balcony for awhile and watched the Sunshine dock. I knew that everybody was starting to leave the ship, which meant it was time for me to hit the pool! I grabbed my stuff and headed to Serenity. It was definitely less crowded than on the sea day, but there was a few people who were thinking like me and chose to skip Nassau.

As you can see there were plenty of seats.

zza.jpg

serenity%20nassau.jpg

zzh.jpg

I enjoyed the sun for awhile then hit the pool. The pool is on the small side but it's very cool. I loved the waterfall!

zzf.jpg

Of course I had to get a picture behind it!

zzdpic.jpg

I am pretty sure I went swimming with Santa.

zzg.jpg

I laid out in the sun until the battery in my camera went dead. I ran back to our cabin to change out batteries and see what Tony was up to. He was no where around, so I grab my tablet and headed back to Serenity to grab some of the cool seating they have on the upper decks.

I choose this area first.

zzi.jpg

It was perfect!!

zzj.jpg

I choose to lay on one these hammocks next.

zzk.jpg

I really enjoyed all the seating areas that Serenity area offers. Not only do they have the cozy seats that I chose to check out but they also have nice couch areas where several people could hang out.

serenity%20couch.jpg

serenity%20couch%202.jpg

The 3 decks of Serenity also offers a bar, a hot tub and a towel station. It really is a very nice area.

I left the Serenity area after awhile and sat in this cool little seating area by the beach pool.

zzl.jpg

I decided I wanted to check out the water slides since I had not even been back there yet.

zzo.jpg

I had total plans on actually riding these but never made it back there. I loved these cute little seating areas near the slides.

zzp.jpg

I spotted Tony walking from Serenity as I was leaving the water slide area. He had came searching for me. We both was ready for some lunch. We grabbed some calamari fritters from the Marketplace and a Guy's burger. I had also grabbed some Veal Parmigiana.

zzn.jpg

It was all very good. The fritters were VERY good.

After lunch I walked down to get one of the Mocha-Java Rev Up milkshakes I had read on the menu the night before.

shake%20spot.jpg

I took my milkshake and walked around. I really wanted to try to find a way to get to a forward deck. I was still hoping I would find one. I walked around deck 3 to see what was going on there. Nothing..I found nothing. Well expect some cool shots of lifeboats. But I found no hidden entrances to Forward decks. As for the milkshake it would have been much better if it had been thicker. I loved the taste, but it was just very thin.

zzq.jpg

After exploring the outer decks, I decided to pop in and check out some of the areas I had not seen yet.

I popped into the Sunrise Dining Room. We had not eaten in any of the dining rooms since I left Tony's dress pants at home. It was beautiful and if I find myself back on the Sunshine I will make it a priority to eat in here at least once.

tour6%20sunrise_1.jpg

From there I made my way to another area that I never took advantage of, the Limelight Lounge. This is where the comedy shows are held. I had heard that these shows are always crowded and if you don't show up early and stand in line then you more than likely won't get a seat. We never made our way down there to find out.

tour4.jpg

I went by Bonsai Sushi as I left the Limelight lounge. We did try this restaurant later this night.

tour3.jpg

Across from Bonsai Sushi is Farenhit 55, the steakhouse. Never made it here either.

tour5.jpg

My last stop was yet again a place we never made it to, the Liquid Lounge. We usually always try to catch at least one production show when on a cruise but it never happened this time.

tour1.jpg

tour2.jpg

The fact that there are places we never really spent time in just proves to me that the Sunshine has so much to offer that you don't have to partake in everything to have a fun-filled awesome cruise.

After my little exploration journey, I headed back out to the pool deck. I wanted to check out the Fantasy docked beside of us. I am sure I have already mentioned that the Fantasy was the very first ship we ever cruised. I wanted to get a good picture of her. I loved seeing her again and just reliving the memories of the trip that started my love affair with cruising.

zzr.jpg

Walked by the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, It was deserted.

blue%20iguana%20bar.jpg

I decided it was time to shower and get ready for dinner. We had decided that tonight was the night we would eat at Bonsai Sushi. We love sushi and knew we wanted to eat here at least once.

While I was getting ready, the Norwegian Sky left Nassau. Goodbye Sky.

zzs.jpg

After the Sky sailed away, it left only us and the Enchantment of the Seas.

zzt.jpg

Then it was time to eat. I was starving and really looking forward to some good sushi.

Tony napped the whole time I got ready. Can you tell he is still in his cruise napping fog as we walked to the restuarant.

headed%20to%20sushi.jpg

I also just found this pic Tony snapped of me earlier that day while we were hanging out on our balcony. I totally forgot about any pictures he had taken..lol

IMG_5051%20picm.jpg