Are you worried about Box Jellyfish in Hanauma Bay?

oceanblue1

I know that the Box Jellyfish are supposed to be present in the Bay or washed up on the beach between 9 and 10 days after a full moon. I understand that it's a science, but not a totally exact science. There might be rogue jellyfish ;-)

Has anyone let their fear of this creature impede their desire to swim in what is said to be like swimming in an aquarium?

Thanks.

I know that the Box Jellyfish are supposed to be present in the Bay or washed up on the beach between 9 and 10 days after a full moon. I understand that it's a science, but not a totally exact science. There might be rogue jellyfish ;-)

Has anyone let their fear of this creature impede their desire to swim in what is said to be like swimming in an aquarium?

Thanks.

First I've heard about box jellie problem. A quick and casual Internet search seems to indicate the jellies normally make an appearance elsewhere on the Oahu coast, but if the problem is severe they apparently do close the beach in question.

As far as a rogue jellie? Well, it is the Ocean. The critters rule there and they will go wherever, whenever they please. If you fear running into one, best to stay out of the water. Is a sting deadly, or just uncomfortable? We hope to visit Hanauma for the first time next March. Guess I need to get educated on jellies, although honestly, I am much more worried about running into a shark.;)

Was just in Hawaii for 11 days. I don't know anything about the moon cycle issue, but while I was there, there were some issues on south shores due to southern winds and swell. Looking at the calender, it would coincide, roughly, with the 10 days after a full moon cycle.

The presence was announced on the weather reports for the days it was an issue. The area involved was minor.