Car seat for 2 year old.

SteveAndBecky

I'm sure quite a few has gone through this, but we are new to it. My Family and I will be flying into Miami for a cruise on the Breeze next year. Our son is 2 and obviously still rides in a car seat.

Question #1: What will we need for a cab/shuttle ride in Miami?

Question #2: What will we need while in the islands (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)?

Thank you all in advance.

We just did that cruise in September with our 2 year old. We used her car seat on the airplane and rental car that we used to get to and from the airport. On the cruise we stored it in one of the closets. We didn't use it at the ports, I know it's not perfectly safe, but the odds of finding a cab or van to hook up the seat in are very slim.

I've been researching this for our cruise next week with our 2yo. Everything I read is no cab will take you in Miami without the car seat. We are bringing ours just for the Miami taxi. In ports we don't plan on using it and just keeping it stored in our cabin for the week.

In March we flew into FLL to find no taxi or limo/UBER will take you without a car seat. It had just gone into effect so we showed up without a car seat for the 3 1/2 YOA niece. We spent two hours at the airport trying to figure out how to get to the hotel. Supposedly the hotel shuttle didn't need to have a car seats, but they refused to do it anyway. I think the law was so new nobody knew exactly what to do. Finally, the hotel found a car seat and the shuttle picked up the niece and family. It almost got to the point where we were going to take the hotel shuttle to the airport, rent a car, pick-up niece, take them to the hotel and return the car.

I agree about the port stops no seats nobody cares. If you are not going to use the seat on the plane then you might want to explore a car service.

Edited by jamesr3939

Even though you are not using your car seat on the plane I would like to add for those that use this thread for information. Be sure to double check that your car seat can serve as a seat in the plane. I had that plan with my grandson (yes I purchased a seat for him). Since his car seat was rated only for automobile safety they would not let it into the cabin of the plane. I did gate check the seat. Used it in the cab in the US. and stored it the rest of the trip.

I'm sure quite a few has gone through this, but we are new to it. My Family and I will be flying into Miami for a cruise on the Breeze next year. Our son is 2 and obviously still rides in a car seat.

Question #2: What will we need while in the islands (Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)?

You will not need anything. What you elect to take will be up to you, but no special seats are required.

Unless you are using a bus for transportation, yes you will need a car seat in Miami. In the islands they will allow you to ride in a cab without one, but that is not a risk I am willing to take personally.

Have you flown with your toddler recently? How long is your flight? I was fine holding DS on my lap for shorter flights when he was under a year old, but now at 20 months you could not pay me to do it. Lap toddler is a whole different ball game than lap baby!!

We got a $45 Scenera Next from Walmart to use as a travel seat. Weighs 8 pounds, fits nicely in airplane seats, easy to install in wide variety of cars, and if anything happens to it while traveling I'm not out $200-300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not difficult to find seat belts on the islands. We've taken a car seat on 2 cruises, one taxi didn't have the belts, so we caught the next one. No biggie, the drivers aren't thrilled to see it, but that's not my problem.

We travel with the cosco Scenera, 40 pound limit and 43" it was $39 at Walmart and is really light & easy to install.

We used ours in the ports too. I'm not willing to take chances in another country that I wouldn't take at home.

We use ours as a seat on the plane. Before he needed his own seat we gate checked the seat. If you can get a go go cart or similar that the car seat clips onto it eliminates the need for a stroller while in the airport too.

I never had anyone say or react negatively to the car seat. Practice your install before you go so that it's quick!

This trip he's 5.5 and although he is still in a carseat at home, we're using the Bubblebum booster once we arrive in FL and in ports.

we bought a cheap one on Amazon for our trip recently. You will need it to get a cab, but on a shuttle/bus you can sit them in your lap.

We did use the car seat on one of the islands, but we had arranged for a taxi ahead of time to ensure one with seat belts. The other time we were on a bus and just took up the back of it and buckled her in or held her.

We got lucky on the plane too as we booked her as a lap toddler, but the third seat was unoccupied which allowed us to have her sit in that and gave us more room. We also had the extra space seats on Jet Blue which were amazing and definitely helped with the 3.5 hour flight. We will probably not book her on our laps ever again as we were worried about the third person all the way until the door closed on the plane. It was nto going to go over well if she had to sit on one of our laps for the 3.5 hours.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a 2.5 year old and have traveled with his car seat the last year and a half. When he wasn't sitting in it on the plane, we would gate check it, as they are more careful with them then throwing it in regular luggage. There is no charge for this. There are red gate check bags from Amazon for like 10 that we use. They rip after a few times, but they are lightweight and easy. We have used the car seat in Cozumel and St. Thomas. I cannot speak to the other islands. We also bought a cart from Amazon to cart the car seat around the airport and the ships. That thing was the best money we ever spend.