The Brahmaputra

T&C Fulham

In response to the Elephant conversation..

Our experience at Kararinga was different to others. Our elephants seemed well fed and un stressed. They grazed the whole time that they slowly strolled through the long grasses..

Yes the mahouts had sticks, but I NEVER saw any elephants beaten, the guys seemed to use their legs only to direct the animals.

Yes there were babies..They seemed to play together whilst wandering behind their mums..they never seemed hurried or stressed.

Yes there were people waiting at the other end , but it took ages to get everyone off and reloaded.. especially as people were milling around taking photos, playing with the babies and feeding the elephants.

I'm not condoning riding of elephants, I'd rather not but this time, it was the only way offered..

The only thing that was negative on our cruise was that the company took all of us , before boarding, to a temple that still ( illegally) does animal sacrifice.. This was very distressing , even to the hardened travel writers that travelled with us.. Complaints were made and I don't know if the company still takes people there..

Contrary to other reviews, the lady that was the manager on our trip was fantastic.. She was related to the owners and was super professional and " on top" of everything..

I would agree that the ship is not a luxury ship in the true meaning of the word, but we loved our room and the rest of the boat. It was a sad day when we left and often talk about returning..

It truly is distressing seeing animal cruelty but its all around the world..we can only try to do our bit..