Tender Port Clarification

Schoifmom

This will be the first time that we have cruised with DH using a scooter. I have heard conflicting stories ... will he or will he not be able to take his scooter on the tender to Grand Cayman?

I was on the Carnival Paradise in February. The seas were rocky and the way we disembarked you had to go up stairs on the tender getting to the island. And going back to ship you had to go down. My friends carried me and my scooter. It was a tad frightening.

Next time I visit GC if I'm still using a chair I will enjoy a relaxing day on deck.

I met a gentleman who walked the steps and they disassembled his chair and carried it. Warning the pole that attached the chair to scooter base fell in the water. He waited over an hour for a diver to come retrieve his pole.

I was on the Carnival Paradise in February. The seas were rocky and the way we disembarked you had to go up stairs on the tender getting to the island. And going back to ship you had to go down. My friends carried me and my scooter. It was a tad frightening.

Next time I visit GC if I'm still using a chair I will enjoy a relaxing day on deck.

I met a gentleman who walked the steps and they disassembled his chair and carried it. Warning the pole that attached the chair to scooter base fell in the water. He waited over an hour for a diver to come retrieve his pole.

Thanks!! DH can walk, but I am little concerned about the amount of walking in GC. Given the issue with the chair (ouch!), I think we might just tough it out :)

What ship are you sailing on? The last two times that I was in Cayman, we either docked at the pier or we had a roll on Tender. No problems with my scooter. It is kind of a crap shoot but on the other hand, there really aren't any great tours to pre-book and you can play it by ear.

What ship are you sailing on? The last two times that I was in Cayman, we either docked at the pier or we had a roll on Tender. No problems with my scooter. It is kind of a crap shoot but on the other hand, there really aren't any great tours to pre-book and you can play it by ear.

OP is on the Carnival Paradise as shown in the signature . Whether or not Carnival Paradise will be serviced by a roll-on tender provided by the Dept. of Tourism for the Grand Caymans depends on many variables such as how many ships will be in port that day and if Carnival pays to use the roll-on tenders provided by the Grand Caymans rather than using its own life boats. So OP will not know for certain until the actual port day if they'll be able to board the tender with their scooter.

If OP was cruising RCCL it's a 99.9% chance of the ship being serviced by a tender with roll-on capabilities provided by Grand Cayman as RCCL pays for the service.

OP is on the Carnival Paradise as shown in the signature .

Not everyone can see the signature. Some have them turned off. Some use tapatalk like I do and is not even an option.

As for tendering with a scooter, roll on is so much easier but I have done it with stairs. It takes some time and patience, but as long as you can do a few steps it can happen in decent water. On Holland America they carried my scooter down for me. I would not worry about parts falling off unless you have unsecured pieces to begin with. Nothing should ever just fall off if it is maintained properly (at least on my pride go go elite traveler).

Just returned from georgetown, grand cayman on the rc grandeur.

My wife is in a scooter and i was concerned. The tenders were double decker and loaded on the upper level.

After many questions, i was made aware that the tender will unload from the uppeer level when it reaches the dock.

Therefore, she was able to roll on and roll off. No problem.

Hopes this works for you. Enjoy your cruise.