Carnival's Cyber Weekend Starts Tomorrow

Dani41

I booked a super bowl cruise in late October and was able to get a better deal right after I booked it but I lost my onboard credit doing so. It was my first time cruising and booking a cruise so I felt good about it. I'm going to book my next cruise for next years super bowl next month, and hope I can get some type of savings within a years time. I'm just excited about cruising for a second time...and leaving out of Nola.

I hope you are a Patriots fan ! ! ! ! it's their year ! trophy #5 !

I'm a home team fan...Ravens baby... And this is their worst season since becoming an NFL team. Oh well...I truly go for the atmosphere on the ship. My fiance is a Cowboys fan. We did a 3 day super bowl cruise last year to the Bahamas...my first cruise and now I'm in love. Neither one of our teams were in it, but we still enjoyed the experience. I'm sure its a lot better when your team is actually playing in the game :)

No they are charging you and extra $134 and from that giving you an on-board credit of $75...and then sending $59 to the bottom line ...clearly it works or they wouldn't keep doing it!

I was trying to figure out if there was some other value provided for that extra $59 in your example. At first, I thought that the Cyber Weekend OBC sale allowed the deposit to be fully refundable if cancelled, unlike Early Saver which has a $50 pp penalty and the deposit is not cash-refundable if cancelled; instead you get a future cruise credit for the remaining deposit amount.

I looked at the disclaimer for Fun Select, the highest but most flexible fare: "Change fees are not assessed outside of the final payment window. Refundable deposit subject to cancellation penalties."

I looked at the disclaimer for Early Saver, the lowest but most restrictive fare: "All cancellations that occur prior to the final payment due date will receive a non-refundable and non-transferable future cruise credit in US dollars in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. Future cruise credit must be used on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation."

And then there's Cyber Weekend OBC Sale: "Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees." (and of course the OBC itself is "non-transferrable and non-refundable")

So it sounds like the OBC Sale is somewhere in the middle of ES and FS when it comes to cancellation penalties. It seems like Past Guest Rate still provides more flexibility than OBC Sale, even though there's no OBC.

I'm back to where I started, wondering what the extra $59 buys the cruiser in terms of value....those unspecified cancellation penalties and service fees make it hard to truly compare, unless they are referring to the standard cancellation penalties (in which case, why call it out separately in the disclaimer?)

Methinks bottom line is the fittest answer here :D

Maybe next year. I'm going to just book my cruise and be done with it. Hopefully I will return to this post with a great savings story. Sorry that nobody got to get an awesome deal this weekend. We will still enjoy or cruises. I'm that person that just doesn't like to purchase anything at full price. I always have to feel like I'm saving some how. I need a coupon or something. Lol

Early Saver is now just that--book very early before prices start climbing. We haven't been able to file for a price drop since 2012.

...and this cyber sale? Looks like it's just the off-peak rates already available on the off-peak cruises. Go configure!

That stinks for you-- we've sailed every year since 2010 and have gotten price drops on all but one cruise-- and that includes the one we're on.

We've been totally happy with the pricing even if they don 't have good sales.

This worked out well for us too. I was planning to book last night but just put a hold instead. Today the price was the same but the deposit was cut in half. Yeah I'd rather hold my money for an extra 8 months.

Booking was for the Oct 2nd Western Caribbean Dream sailing out of New Orleans. First post. First cruise. Lurking since 2010. :)

Edited by fingolfin269

This worked out well for us too. I was planning to book last night but just put a hold instead. Today the price was the same but the deposit was cut in half. Yeah I'd rather hold my money for an extra 8 months.

Booking was for the Oct 2nd Western Caribbean Dream sailing out of New Orleans. First post. First cruise. Lurking since 2010. :)

Don't feel bad. I have been lurking since '08, joined '13 and just started posting 11/15. Saw a post I felt I could and did help the poster. Now, am hooked. I need to get back to my real life.:D

I saved another $68 today on the Last Call Early Saver Cyber Monday Sale for our 14 Day Journeys Cruise in March. It took over an hour on the phone, the first rep denied the rate was available for existing bookings. The second matched it to the wrong rate, and it went from being a paid off cruise to having a balance due of $174 and a $75 on board credit (why would I want to pay more to get less?). The third rep had to escalate it. It wasn't until I did a 24 Courtesy Hold on a mock booking that they were able to see the rate I was seeing and match it. What a hassle!

I saved another $68 today on the Last Call Early Saver Cyber Monday Sale for our 14 Day Journeys Cruise in March. It took over an hour on the phone, the first rep denied the rate was available for existing bookings. The second matched it to the wrong rate, and it went from being a paid off cruise to having a balance due of $174 and a $75 on board credit (why would I want to pay more to get less?). The third rep had to escalate it. It wasn't until I did a 24 Courtesy Hold on a mock booking that they were able to see the rate I was seeing and match it. What a hassle!

I definitely know how you feel! The "dim bulb" I talked to, told me to do a mock booking to see what my exact room would cost and if I could book it, and she really meant, my exact room, not my room category. I had to explain to her that as I had booked that room, it would not be available. She said, oh. I told her there was no need to do mocks, just fareviewer. She finally got it straight, and worth it in the long run, just very frustrating!;)