Shrinking Shore Excursion Discount?

tgg

We normally book private shore excursions. On our upcoming cruise, however, we have an OBC that runs into 4 figures and is non-refundable. (Alcohol, unfortunately, is out.:mad:) So I went to the Oceania web site and chose 4 shore excursions for each of us, expecting to receive the advertised Your World Collection 25% discount.

"Save 25% off à la carte retail prices, subject to a minimum number of excursions required to be reserved depending on voyage length"

There was, however, no way to use the OBC (from Oceania) to pay for them. When I called Oceania, I was told that I could use the OBC only after I boarded and that the discount would be only 15%.

Yes, I know that it's on ONBOARD credit, but I'm concerned that the trips we want will be closed by the time we board. I would also like to keep the discount.

Was I given the correct information?

Yep. OBC is on board credit. The only trick is to book in advance and cancel and rebook on board. Your prepaid credit is refundable. But you may not get that excursion if there is a wait list.

Also, the number of excursions required for the 25% discount varies. We got it with 4 in Alaska and 5 in the Med (where we also did private excursions).

And, as aforementioned, the OBC works only for booked-on-board. You may want to look at the cancellation policy for pre-purchased excursions (ok to cancel [with refund] and rebook with OBC?) and whether the 25% break is only for pre-purchased.

With more than $1k in non-refundable OBC, you may want to reconsider the adult beverage options.

Also, the number of excursions required for the 25% discount varies. We got it with 4 in Alaska and 5 in the Med (where we also did private excursions).

And, as aforementioned, the OBC works only for booked-on-board. You may want to look at the cancellation policy for pre-purchased excursions (ok to cancel [with refund] and rebook with OBC?) and whether the 25% break is only for pre-purchased.

With more than $1k in non-refundable OBC, you may want to reconsider the adult beverage options.

Oceania said we needed 4 excursions to qualify for the discount.

I would love to consider the adult beverage options. If I do, I'll wind up spending my OBC with the ship's doctor.