Past guest 2 cat. Upgrade vs early saver

wantocruisemore

Thinking about adding another cruise. I tried looking up specifics on rules for past guest, 2 category upgrade, but the link that should give it just goes to booking. I think this means deposits are refundable up to final payment as opposed to early saver where if you cancel there's a $50 penalty and rest is for future cruise.

With past guest what happens if prices drop? Would we b able to get OBC or cost reduced? And for how long, ie only til final payment?

With early saver you can get OBC up til couple days of sailing, right?

Rules state that Past Guest has no Price Protection like the early saver. It depends who you get when you call Carnival. Some will change it some won't I call back until I get someone who will change it. You can also switch from Past Guest to Early saver once during the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Past guest rate will allow you to apply for a rate decrease until final payment.

^^ This is correct ^^ - all Carnival fares have price protection up to final payment, ES has price protection until 2 days before cruise (in the form of OBC after final payment)

Thanks, so if I book now with past guest I can change to early saver a little later. Cruise thinking of is still far off.

As long as the Early Saver fare is still being offered - but remember if you change fares, you will be paying the current ES rate at the time, not the past guest rate you originally booked at. Plus you would lose the past guest upgrades.

On our January 2016 cruise which we booked past guest in early 2015, the fares in all categories just kept going higher and higher until it sold out in November. It would have cost me several hundred dollars more to change to an different fare category.

Edited by lizardhowson