Redeeming CCL MC Points After the Cruise?????

karinad

I have never redeemed my points on my CCL Mastercard yet. We went on our CCL Dream cruise mid Oct. and I figured that I'd redeem them for a statement credit afterwards. I received an email from Barclay saying that my card was eligible to redeem points. It's not like I have a huge amount of points, 30,000 as of now. I figured that it would be a $300. credit, but I might be wrong.

I went to the Awards site and it listed the eligible travel for our Oct. vacation. We only had charges from the ship of $113. We had some OBC'S, so that was a big help. We had a $308. chg for our pre-cruise hotel and $236. for the airline.

How is this done to get the credit on my statement? Would I be able to apply the full 30,000 points and would it equal $300. I've redeemed airline miles before on other credit cards but never did it this way. Sorry if it sounds confusing, but it's new to me.:confused:

I don't have an answer for you but I'm interested in this too. I've only ever redeemed for OBC. Right now we have over 45,000 points so we could have $400 OBC but I wonder if it would be worth it to wait until after the cruise and redeem for statement credit. By the time we come back from our cruise and including our Sail & Sign account, I believe we will have over 50,000 points.

Unless the hotel was a certain one, then you will only be able to take the credit of $113 that you spent on Carnival.

I have only seen Wyndham hotels as ones I can use my points towards.

I am pretty sure you cannot use the airline.

Go to Barclays. Click on manage rewards. Click on start using my funpoints.

Click on pay with funpoints. In that area you will see Purchases available for redemption and that will tell you the amount and points you can redeem. Pretty self explanatory from there.

You have to pick a reward to go with a specific charge. I have found I get the most value for my points with Carnival when it is a larger single charge. When we book 2 cabins to take the kids, the deposits are charged separately first, then the final payment is posted as 2 payments due to the separate booking numbers so I use the credit towards the onboard purchasses which all go on one account and thus one charge.

The redemption web site will let you play around with the different reward levels to see the value.

If you can wait until you have 100,000 points you can apply it towards $1,500 which is an extra $500!

If using it to pay a Carnival charge, it is 10 points for every $1. Less than that if you are using it to pay other travel expenses.

Sign on to your account, then go to "manage rewards" (under the number of points you have). That will show you your options.

If you can wait until you have 100,000 points you can apply it towards $1,500 which is an extra $500!

If using it to pay a Carnival charge, it is 10 points for every $1. Less than that if you are using it to pay other travel expenses.

Sign on to your account, then go to "manage rewards" (under the number of points you have). That will show you your options.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for. It's only 10:1 for CCL products. For hotels, airlines and other travel related things the ratio is less. I just wanted to make sure before I apply the points. We don't have another CCL cruise booked yet, but that could change!;)

Thank you to everyone else that posted!

You can use your points for ANY travel that was charged to your card and shows up as eligible in your rewards section. If you have a hotel charge for $300+ you can use your 30,000 points for a $300 statement credit. I think the charges stay eligible for 6 months (it shows how long on the page), but you can only use points for an item once, so I try to get a close amount.

You earn more points for Carnival purchase transactions, but the reward redemption is based on $ amounts and the rates are the same for Carnival or any other available travel.

• 4 weeks later...
You can use your points for ANY travel that was charged to your card and shows up as eligible in your rewards section. If you have a hotel charge for $300+ you can use your 30,000 points for a $300 statement credit. I think the charges stay eligible for 6 months (it shows how long on the page), but you can only use points for an item once, so I try to get a close amount.

You earn more points for Carnival purchase transactions, but the reward redemption is based on $ amounts and the rates are the same for Carnival or any other available travel.

This is incorrect. The redemption rate is the best for Carnival cruise line, and worst for airfare and hotels. Play with the "How many Funpoints will I need to pay for my cruise" calculator and you'll see the differences.

For example:

to redeem for $2,300 for a cruise on Carnival, it will take 153,333 Funpoints

to redeem for $2,300 for a cruise on Cunard, it will take 230,000 Funpoints

to redeem for $2,300 for a cruise on Princess, it will take 230,000 Funpoints

to redeem for $2,300 for Airfare or Hotel, it will take 255,556 Funpoints

ETA: This is the case after reaching a certain amount which improves the redemption rate, as PPs have stated. However, at a lower number, the cruise line rates are all the same, but the Hotel & Airfare rate remains worse (example: $300 on Carnival, Cunard, Princess, etc. "costs" 30,000 FunPoints, but $300 on Airfare And Hotels "costs" 33,333 FunPoints). I have not found a price point where the redemption rate for Airfare and Hotel is ever as good as the redemption rate for a Carnival purchase.

Edited by ShakyBeef

Does the $1,500 have to be one transaction to use the 100,000 points for $1,500 credit. If I have 2 cabins at $750 per cabin can I still get the $1,500 credit. Or if I have 2 cabins at say $900 per cabin for a total of $1800. Can I redeem 100,00 toward a $1500 statement credit? Thanks

Edited by cruisecrazy

Does the $1,500 have to be one transaction to use the 100,000 points for $1,500 credit. If I have 2 cabins at $750 per cabin can I still get the $1,500 credit. Or if I have 2 cabins at say $900 per cabin for a total of $1800. Can I redeem 100,00 toward a $1500 statement credit? Thanks

Yes, it has to be one transaction. Once upon a time, they would automatically combine eligible purchase amounts from the same company (for example, your final payment on your cruise fare and your Sail and Sign balance for the same cruise) on your redemption page to give you the better redemption rate. But I don't think they do that anymore.

The redemption window for eligible purchases is 180 days (you can pay yourself back for eligible purchases up to 180 days after the purchase date).

Also, on statement credits, you don't have to "cash in" for the full purchase amount - you can do it for just a portion. So, for example, if my eligible purchase amount from a Carnival cruise is $2800, it would "cost" 186,667 FunPoints to get the full amount as a statement credit. Say I currently only had 145,000 FunPoints, though. I could still cash in on that purchase. For 140,000 FunPoints, I would get a statement credit of $2,100 worth of that purchase. Hope this helps.:)