Oriana Grand Voyage 2006

FeliciaLee

Hi! Newbie here. I have some questions about P&O UK, but I'll tell you a little bit about myself first, so that you will be better able to answer.

I am an American, 36 years old, married, no children. Took an "early retirement" from AOL (not by choice).

Since my first cruise, back in 2002 on Holland America's Ryndam, I have had one goal; to take a longer cruise. My intentions have always been to go on a world cruise or at least something that will allow 30 days or longer on the same ship.

Unfortunately, since November of 2002, I've had some stumbling blocks and been unable to go on another cruise. Things are just starting to clear up now.

I am a diabetic, and one thing that I loved about cruising was the ability to closely monitor my blood sugar. Over the past seven years, I've come up with a formula that seems to work well for me. I use pre-digested protein powder, which I make into "protein shakes," in order to prevent the huge swings in sugar. While I'm not 100% successful, it is better than living on insulin and candy! I don't have to do pills, shots or a pump. The protein is not a drug, per se, but it does help my sugar maintain some sort of balance, rather than making wild swings from 400 to 40.

So on a ship, I can get the ingredients I need at any time. I mostly just put some coffee into my shaker bottle, creamer, ice, protein and shake it up. It comes out tasting somewhat like an iced cafe mocha.

In addition, on a ship, if I feel fatigued or weak, I can simply go rest. Unlike a land trip, I am not stuck 30 miles from our hotel. I can participate when I wish, rest when I wish. My husband can continue whatever activity we were engaged in, while I return to the cabin. It works out very well.

As if diabetes wasn't enough, I have just finished a bout with cancer. It was discovered early, thank God, but it was also an aggressive cancer which spread quickly and dangerously. I had a very radical surgery followed by two courses of chemo (I was supposed to have four, but was forced to stop after two due to failing health and risk of death outweighing the protection of chemo).

Right now it's been two months since my last chemo treatment, and I'm finally coming back around again.

I'm starting to look at longer cruises once more, this time determined not to let anything stand in my way.

One of the longer voyages I found was on P&O UK. I went through their entire website, as well as all of the posts here which are still available. My favorite itinerary so far is the 2006 Oriana Grand Voyage.

The pluses are many, and I will attempt to go through each briefly.

1. Round-trip Southampton
  2. Cost is 75% of nearest competitor
  3. Itinerary is perfect for me
  4. Rooms have coffee maker and fridge; huge plus
  5. Ambiance of the ship/line seems to fit my style

Okay, the reason I stated #5 is because I am a pretty independent person who doesn't need, nor want a lot of attention and fawning. I don't need waiters who will hover around at every moment, pulling out chairs and draping my lap with napkins. I don't necessarily mind this type of service, but I don't "need" it in order to feel like I'm on holiday.

I'm not an "ugly American." I am very multi-cultural and have lived outside of the US in my adulthood. I tend to get along very well with Europeans and have many British friends. I respect other cultures and languages. For instance, I would never, ever, visit another country without at least a rudimentary understanding of the language. I would never expect someone in a non-English speaking country to "speak English" just because I do. I speak their language to the best of my ability, I don't just assume that everyone speaks English because I'm an American.

I don't "herd" very well. Those types of tours with buses and guides that take one through a country blandly pointing out sights in monotone, herding us off an on the bus to look at 400 year old churches and architecture aren't for me.

I prefer, instead, to go off on my own, do sightseeing when I feel like it, hire a guide if I want to do something in particular, get to know the locals, the way they truly live or perhaps just stay on the ship and relax.

I don't need to have bingo announcements or other PA announcements, chimes ringing, etc, in order to have a good experience. I can fend for myself and engage in group activity, or just read a good book. I am not impressed with the productions in the theatre, I can take or leave that.

In other words, I don't need a six-star experience. I'd probably be more comfortable with a four-star holiday, especially over the long-term (30 days or more).

Okay, so I feel that is enough. I know, I'm very verbose! I could type all day.

So basically I'm asking, is P&O right for me?

I'm not very picky about food, but I did notice a lack of sugar-free selections for dessert. If there are none, it probably won't be a big deal, since I have never been one for sweets, but I did wonder.

Also, if I would decide to go it alone, does P&O have a single supplement? Would I simply have to pay double the fare? I see nothing on the website addressing solo travelers.

In every other way, P&O seems perfect for the experience I'm looking into having.

Feedback? TIA,

The main thing I can answer is about the single supplement, as I had to pay it this time :) .

It varies by itinery, time of year and by ship, from 25% (I think I've seen that once) to about 75%. Most of the time it seems to be 40% to 60%. Mine is advertised as 40% for my trip in 2 weeks.

P+O have the caveat that only a certain number of rooms are available at these rates and after that they reserve the right to increase the %. I booked quite late, only a couple of (or 3) months ago and I got a travel agent discount on the brochure price, & as I didn't see their advertised 'per person' rates I cannot be exactly sure what % I paid, but it seems to still be in the 40% mark.

Good luck with your other questions (& with your health)

Karen

FeliciaLee - Not sure if you will be able to book through P&O UK as a US resident. We have problems doing the reverse. Your best chance would be through a UK TA.

P&O are good with dietary requests. You should certainly expect to be able to order sugar free deserts.

I am sure you would enjoy sailing with P&O, all the ships have a definite British feel quite different to that on Cunard which always seems to be Americanised / British. No problem with that, just different.

Keep well

David.

Thanks, David. Yes, I know I'd have to go through Golden Bear or call a TA in England. I read the online booking requirements thoroughly.

I appreciate all of the feedback!

FeliciaLee - Not sure if you will be able to book through P&O UK as a US resident. We have problems doing the reverse. Your best chance would be through a UK TA.

P&O are good with dietary requests. You should certainly expect to be able to order sugar free deserts.

I am sure you would enjoy sailing with P&O, all the ships have a definite British feel quite different to that on Cunard which always seems to be Americanised / British. No problem with that, just different.

Keep well

David.

Oriana is a wonderful ship.

She is very 'British'. This is not a criticism. She has a very different feel to the American ships we have been on.

The public rooms and decorations are top notch. (think classy British establishment).

The passengers on a world cruise are of a mostly older demographic. (they're the ones with the money and time to do a world cruise). (We were aboard for part of a world cruise in 2002 - Sydney to San Francisco).

Dinner in the main dining rooms is always an 'occasion'. The waiting staff are very good. The food is described as being for British tastes. (lots of roasted meats and game). An extra separate fish course each night was a highlight for us. Vegetables are served separately in the silver service style. There are always potatoes cooked 2 separate ways with each meal.

A P&O tradition is the availability of Indian curries at lunch time in the dining room.

On the whole, a civilised, quiet experience.

Archived