Oceana Canaries cruise - 23rd November

CRUISIN LINDA

Just returned from he Oceana Canaries cruise and am wondering what others thought?

We were on her in March and thoroughly enjoyed it but found this time a different experience.

The food was much better in March, more variety and tastier.

The ship continually "rolled" even when the sea looked calm

There was a lot of repair work going on. I know that maintenance has to be done, but is it fair to rip up half the area around the pool and why were bits of the promenade deck continually cordoned off? I think I only managed to do a whole lap of the ship once. I heard one passenger saying it was just like a building site!

The production shows and the guest artists were excellent, but the entertainment in other areas were patchy, to say the least.

A lot of the daytime events seemed to be aimed at selling something :rolleyes:

Good points - Reception were very helpful, our cabin was kept very well by our steward and the trip we did in Lisbon was very good. I had to visit the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics for a water infection, so couldn't go on the trip that day but was refunded the money with no quibbles.

Just my opinion, wondered what others thought

Can'tcomment really as I wasnt on that cruise. But as far as the ship rolling is concerned, when we went to the Canaries on QE 2 years ago, the rolling was quite marked - and I suspect it was due to the swell and swell direction more than anything else. Contrary to popular belief , stabilisers only help to reduce roll they cannot eliminate it, and sometimes can make it worse if the swell direction is "wrong" ! So I am told!

Can'tcomment really as I wasnt on that cruise. But as far as the ship rolling is concerned, when we went to the Canaries on QE 2 years ago, the rolling was quite marked - and I suspect it was due to the swell and swell direction more than anything else. Contrary to popular belief , stabilisers only help to reduce roll they cannot eliminate it, and sometimes can make it worse if the swell direction is "wrong" ! So I am told!

Thanks for that.

Apparently the stabilisers were being deployed, but obviously they don't completely stop the rolling.

We have sailed twice to the Canary Islands at this time of year and both times the swell was a problem and we felt slightly yucky the whole time on both cruises.:eek:

Ah! not just me then! DH (who doesn't suffer mal de mer) thinks I am exaggerating :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only been to the Canaries once, on Oriana, and we had the same problem. We were lucky enough to have the captain at our table for dinner one night and he explained the reason for it. It was all to do with the way the sea moved against the ship either from the side, from the front / back or up and down. Sure someone will explain it better! Like Oceana, the stabilisers were out but it was rough all the way there and back. Worst weather by a mile we've ever had on a cruise

Recently returned from 18 night Med cruise on Oriana and was very disappointed with the entertainment other than the headliners and one other act. Quite right about selling things, and non hosted things to do during the day.Our fav ship which handled the swell excellently.

Food ok, service good, just felt so young at 65.!!

Just returned from he Oceana Canaries cruise and am wondering what others thought?

We were on her in March and thoroughly enjoyed it but found this time a different experience.

The food was much better in March, more variety and tastier.

The ship continually "rolled" even when the sea looked calm

There was a lot of repair work going on. I know that maintenance has to be done, but is it fair to rip up half the area around the pool and why were bits of the promenade deck continually cordoned off? I think I only managed to do a whole lap of the ship once. I heard one passenger saying it was just like a building site!

The production shows and the guest artists were excellent, but the entertainment in other areas were patchy, to say the least.

A lot of the daytime events seemed to be aimed at selling something :rolleyes:

Good points - Reception were very helpful, our cabin was kept very well by our steward and the trip we did in Lisbon was very good. I had to visit the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics for a water infection, so couldn't go on the trip that day but was refunded the money with no quibbles.

Just my opinion, wondered what others thought

Hi Linda

We were on the same cruise and our experience was really good, to be honest I didn't notice any "rolling" there was a little movement from time to time but nothing to upset me and I'm not a good sailor.

The food we thought was very good, as good as our previous cruises, there was some work going on relaying carpets etc., but it didn't really affect us, we could always get a sunbed and we managed to get in the pool on several occasions. So all told we were very pleased with the cruise.

With regard to the staff we found the waiters, cabin staff etc., very courteous and they couldn't do enough to make our holiday really enjoyable. However we didn't find the British staff as good, the reception failed to respond to our questions on two occasions and one question I asked was laughed at by the reception staff as I walked away I could hear them s******ing at my "silly" question.

On another occasion we were walking through the photography department when a member of staff remarked that she was "having a sh*t day", in a loud voice, not very professional. We do think the British staff could do with a bit more training.

We didn't let any of this spoil our cruise however, we had a brilliant time.

Hi magpieman,

Thanks for your input. Everyone has different experiences even on the same cruise. I actually found the reception staff very helpful, they even printed out a copy of a back number of the Horizon newsletter for me, which I had lost, as I like to keep them. However one of the staff in the Ligurian restaurant was rude to me one night. We ate in the buffet quite a lot as I wasn't feeling very well and we found the staff there very nice.