50-day Empire excursions – included, optional, private, and DIY

id4elizabeth

We had gotten into port a bit early, and our tour was not until 1:45, so I decided I would go into town, as the ship was docked within about a quarter mile of town. Besides, I needed some finger nail polish remover, and since they spoke English here, I thought this might be the best place to get it. The main drag of town, coincidentally named “Main Street,” starts with the Barracks Square, and is lined with colorful shops, displaying mainly British goods. The pavement is decent and it gently climbs just a bit uphill. I ended up buying a gold chain for my Caravaca Cross. I also got a look inside the Catholic Cathedral of St. Mary the Crowned, which oddly enough had walls covered in lovely Moorish tile. Apparently, it was built atop an older Mosque. I also stopped by the Anglican Church of the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity. Here, the Moorish influence was even more startling.

In general the town reminded me of someplace in the Bahamas – pretty brightly colored colonial era houses with colorful window boxes, and lots of “Fish-n-Chips” spots. (I was able to find my nail polish remover.)

Back to the ship for lunch and then we set out on our Viking included tour. Originally we were supposed to go to the Gibraltar Museum as part of this tour, but I had spotted this earlier on my walk and wondered about it, as the sign on the door said “Closed” and it was a very, very small place. I couldn’t imagine how they were going to manage several hundred people descending on this place all at once. However, not to worry – at the last minute Viking substituted a ride up the Cable Car to the top of the mountain instead. Great by us!

We were picked up near the ship by small mini-van type busses that seated about 20 I’d say. First our driver drove to the border with Spain, which is actually incredibly close. To get there, we had to drive (slowly) across the runway of the airport. Kind of a different experience, although he could not stop, so you have to have your camera at the ready. Then we drove around the coastline for some pretty views of beaches, and finally getting out for about 15 minutes at Europa Point, where we could see the mountainous coastline of Africa, the Lighthouse, and some big guns. Interestingly one of the most obvious landmarks on this outpost of British colonization is the huge King Fahd Mosque, built in 1997 by a Saudi Sultan.

Now it was on to the Cable Car to the Top of the Rock. Unfortunately, we were not the first to arrive, and the line was horrendous. As usual Viking sends everyone to the same place at the same time. We waited in the hot sun for about an hour to get on the cable car. But it was worth the wait. The weather was perfect for some great pictures, we saw lot of the infamous monkeys (Barbary macaques), and the great limestone mastiff pointed proudly to the skies. In the other direction, we could see across the Straits of Gibraltar to the coastline of Morocco. We spent about an hour at the top enjoying the day. When it was time to go down, there were no lines to get back on the cable car, and we noticed when we got to the bottom, there were zero lines to get to the top. (sigh!)

Back to the ship to freshen up, grab some dinner, and be ready for our evening optional excursion to St. Michael’s Cave to hear the royal Gibraltar Regimental Band. They drove us up in the mini-vans to right outside the cave entrance, so thankfully no waiting for the cable car again. It was a bit dicey as the road was narrow and all the vans were crowded together. Then we waited outside for a very long time before they let us in. Apparently we were waiting for some official to arrive - I think I recall it being the Mayor. Finally we were allowed inside and found some great seats, although I don’t think there are many bad seats in the place. It just depends on how far down you want to walk. The music was great, and the scenery was fabulous too. Contrary to what we had been told when booking this excursion, there was only one performance, not two. It was dark when we left, so couldn’t see the “Nature Preserve”, but this was a very enjoyable excursion. I would do it again.

My advice for this port, if they include the cable car ride to the Rock as part of the included tour, is maybe skip it and go on your own when there’s no lines. Also, be aware that the included tour does not go into the Main Street shopping area or the Old Town at all.

• 1 month later...

We had a fabulous day touring Seville today. Eight of us from Cruise Critic had arranged this private tour through SpainDayTours.com (a TopDayTours subsidiary). We were the first to get off the ship at 8:15 and we were on our way by 8:30. We were WAY AHEAD of the Viking groups - as a matter of fact I never spotted them at all during the day. First we went to the Spanish Pavillion built for the 1929 World's Fair. Really beautiful. Next we went through the old historical Jewish sector and I sure am glad we had a guide or I'd still be wandering around the maze of charming alleyways. Then to the Alcazar. We had requested that we go INSIDE the Alcazar when we booked this tour. (The Viking optional tour does not go inside the Alcazar – they only walk around the outside.) It was fantastic - better to me than the Topkapi Palace that we had gone to see in Istanbul. Then we had an hour's free time - some went shopping, most went to eat, and I toured the Cathedral (the largest Gothic Cathedral in the world, or so they say). What a place. A huge high alter awash with gold leaf top to bottom, brought back from the "New World", and the tomb of Christopher Columbus. And the interior was so enormous.

Then back on our small coach and back to Cadiz an hour plus before the "all aboard" time. I went immediately to the Wintergarden for high tea since I missed lunch and wolfed down two scones with clotted cream and jam. Guess I'd better weigh myself tomorrow...

Viking also has an optional tour to Seville – it did not leave until 10:00 (we left at 8:30) and it was a “half day tour’ (ours was 7 ½ hours). Our tour was also cheaper. Another thing to keep in mind is that bathroom breaks last 7 minutes as opposed to 35 minutes when there's only 8 or so people.

We went on this optional tour today and found it average at best. The first disappointment was the drive-by of Belem Tower - this was more of a glimpse-by. Then the guide had us spend too much time IMO at the 'modern' Tower to the Discoveries featuring Prince Henry the Navigator (which wasn't in our tour description). Then off to the Monastery and Cloisters which we did both enjoy. On the way we learned all about the nightlife and drinking habits of university students (more on that later).

Our guide, Maria, told us about a fabulous custard tart shop that we'd be passing by on the way from the Monastery to the Coach Museum and encouraged us to get in line to buy. When we got there the line was long, but she said it would move quickly. Well it didn't. Some of our group started walking to the Coach Museum, but some of us stayed in line (moi being one of the custard tart liners). In retrospect this was not a good idea and she should have told us to forget it. Most of the group went on ahead and those in line caught up with the other half at the totally skippable Coach Museum. Although the coaches were interesting, not something I'd recommend you spend your time on when you only have 6 hours in Lisbon.

Then we seemed to go on a bus ride through town, with her pointing out spots where the hazing rituals that university students go through and the drinking games they play. We probably spent half an hour touring about on the bus, but non memorable in my opinion. The highlight was seeing the old fashioned tram cars about.

Then we finally got to the Alfama district where we were supposed to stroll by the exterior of the Cathedral and "free time to wander its labyrinthine streets brimming with inviting cafes and craft shops". She announced as we got off the bus that we only had 10 minutes and then walked us about half a block into the area and started another discussion about what young people like to do and the acoustic guitars they like to play and their drinking habits, all while standing still. Of course we have no idea which way to go, so I finally interrupted her and suggested we really didn't care about university drinking habits and let's get moving. We walked about 2 blocks in total, a lot of which was under construction and then back on the bus. "So sorry but we don't have time for the Cathedral, but it's not that great anyway." It was only about 4:30 and our onboard time was 5:30 and we were literally within sight of the ship and could have walked back 20 minutes tops. But no - have to get back right away.

There were two busloads with this excursion with two different guides. It would be interesting to compare notes with the other group and see how it compares with my opinion. The guides can have such an impact. If there's anyone who was in the other group, post your opinion please!

Bottom line - I would not recommend this optional tour, and would definitely avoid Maria, but don't know how you'd do that if Viking opted to have her back.

Looking forward to tomorrow and the first of our 2 sea days.

I know this isn’t an excursion, but after Cadiz we had two Sea Days, so I thought I’d let you see what one of them was like - it's the second of the two.

The weather cleared this afternoon and everyone is enjoying this leisurely day at sea. Yesterday everyone was rather cooped up and trying to stay upright. Today folks are out and about.

Yesterday about 3:30 we enjoyed the free spa amenities as it had been a bit crowded earlier in the day, I think in large part due to the weather. When we went though, only about 6 folks were there so we enjoyed it a lot. The spa area is one of my favorite areas on the ship and kudos to Viking to making it available and free to everyone (regardless of cabin category). I know other cruise lines restrict access and you have to pay extra to take advantage of the spa. I was worried that the spa would be overly crowded with 900 passengers, but yesterday was the first day that we noticed more than 8 or so people there. Also, I had initially thought that there wouldn't be enough lockers available, but any time I've been there, there's plenty of available lockers. Note to Viking though - several of them don't lock with your keycard - #4 and #12

Today we went to the Infinity Pool and we were the only ones in the pool - had it all to ourselves. Fantastic. Temp was nice and warm. All the pools are salt water pools and the spa and infinity pools (haven't done the main pool yet) are heated to a nice temp - very comfortable. The salt water is mild and you don't feel like you have salt residue all over you when you get out. About the only thing we noticed is a slight salt taste if you lick your lips.

Have had fantastic massages in the spa (3 so far) and today I had a facial. And true to their word they do no push product at you and give you a sales pitch to buy more. I had to ask about a product - she then gave me the info I wanted, but didn't at all push. Another kudo to Viking for taking this approach.

Only one negative for the spa experience. The gratuities are confusing. There's an "auto-gratuity" of 15% that gets added onto the spa price. You can change this amount if you want. But, SOME of the personnel tell you that goes to the spa and that doesn't go to them. They tell you how to leave a "tip" which would go to them on TOP of the auto-gratuity. After a couple of times I talked with the spa manager and here's the scoop. The "auto-gratuity" of 15% gets divided up amongst all the spa personnel. So those that say they don't get any of it aren't exactly truthful if you ask me. They get a slice of your auto-gratuity as well as a slice of everyone else's auto-gratuity. You CAN give 0% to the auto-gratuity and give your whole "tip" to the particular person you want, but then you're cutting out all the spa people that are behind the scenes. Very confusing policy I'd say!

Now off to sit on my deck and enjoy the evening.

I enjoyed the day wandering around Rouen on my own, taking my time, enjoying this delightful city of leaning half-timbered houses and soaring Cathedral spires. I didn't even do the included Viking tour as my guide books told me there was a local Market that ended at 12:30 and the Viking tour was not going there. This worked out fine. Viking provides a free shuttle bus that takes you from the industrial area around the port into the heart of town. (You could also walk along the river, but it's a mile and a half.) Where the shuttle drops you off in town is where you catch it to come back, and unlike some other ports, this one in fact runs continuously. (I've had trouble in some other ports (like Dubrovnik) where the bus sits and waits for 20 minutes after you get on before it starts up again while the bus driver reads the paper.)

Note: Viking Oceans ship is NOT docked where the Viking River boats are docked. We're about a mile farther out from town.

The Viking tour did get to go to the smaller “tourist” Town Market that was near the Joan of Arc Church. The Market I was headed for was a bigger one on Place du Marc on the east side (by a couple blocks) of Eglise St Marclu. A little past the Plague Cemetery. It was crammed by the local French, and many of the vendors spoke no English. Or maybe I was delighted by it since I'm easily impressed, being a market novice.

Lots of fresh flower vendors, bakeries, fresh veges, fish (with some very weird looking crabs I've never seen before), meat, sausages, cheeses, plus antiques, vintage books (all in French of course), leather goods, even underwear, and mattresses of all things. I spent 2 hours there. Bought a chunk of Brie, and a half of a small loaf of fresh raisin walnut bread. Stopped by a Cafe in front of Eglise St Marclu and ordered a pot of Earl Grey tea and enjoyed my Brie and bread as my lunch. But like I said, I haven't done a lot of Markets.

I went to all (maybe just some, but it felt like all) the Churches in town, including the modern Joan of Arc church, with its marvelous old stained glass. Quite beautiful. The front of the Cathedral Notre-Dame was made famous by the many paintings of Claude Monet. I even managed to hoof it up to Eglise St Ouen and the Hotel Ville. And the town itself is charming.

Rouen is entirely doable on your own. I had a blast.

DH went on a private tour (arranged by CC member PopsA) of the D-Day Normandy area with Bayeux Shuttle that was fantastic. They had a private van and inside there was a video and audio that was triggered by GPS. So as they were traveling around, a video would come on with WWII footage, describing what took place on that very spot. Very high-tech. And of course, a small gathering with a knowledgeable tour guide gave the group a better opportunity to have an interactive experience versus a "follow the lolly pop and listen to me" day. And finally, the cost was less than the Viking tour by 10 - 20€. For those on future cruises, Bayeux Shuttle will work with you to tailor the tour to meet your desires. They also operate out of Le Havre.

We're scheduled to leave Rouen for Greenwich at 9:00 tomorrow morning.

Our River Cruise today was marvelous. Our ship seemed enormous winding its way down the narrow river. We must have been quite a sight for the locals, who all came out and waved. We saw one truck stop in the middle of the road, which ran right along the river, and pull out his camera and take our picture.

I think the other thing that made it so spectacular in comparison to river boating is the height. Quite different to be 9 stories up looking down rather than two. You could see the landscape out for miles. We could see the Seine River’s bends way out in the distance. Some famous castles perched on the cliff faces glided by (but I didn’t catch their names). Quite relaxing!

We heard rumors that Viking is not going to do the port of Rouen with the Seine River Cruise again, as it meant too many days at sea. Pre-cruise, there was quite a bit of customer backlash on Cruise Critic (and elsewhere) against all the Sea Days on this segment. Apparently, the tides of the Seine and the tides of the Thames are just too much to contend with. We heard they are going to do Le Havre instead. Don’t know if this is true or not. That’s a shame really, as the port of Rouen and this cruise down the Seine were some of my fondest memories.

Thanks for your new entries, Elizabeth!! We're really not sure but we think we're going to Bordeaux and having an overnight there. We are also scheduled to go to Paris via Le Havre. We're 62 days out from our 50 day cruise and there are no Viking excursions planned for either Bordeaux or Paris! I think there will be soon though.

Thanks again for your interesting posts!!