Closing my suitcase

fantasy51

I have just bought a new set of suitcases. They look lovely. They are spinners and will be easy to move. They are the design I see in so many shops now: two equal sides zipped in the centre. I have packed both sides ready for a holiday (flight this time, cruising in the future) and cannot close the cases without everything falling out of one side as I move it to meet the other side..

One side of the large suitcase holds clothes, held in with a couple of straps. I put things down the sides as well, so if I close that side onto the other one, the little packets will all fall out. The other side contains packing cells and odds and ends, with a flimsy pocket I can zip over it. Things will move around as I try to close this side.

In the small suitcase I have uneven sizes in both sides, so I can't use the zippable pocket to hold things in place.

I would be grateful to hear any tips from others who have used this type of suitcase. I fly out Tuesday morning, so I really only have 24 hours to get advice.

I am already missing my boring old suitcases that were so easy to pack.

Thoughts....

• ideally you want contents to be dispersed evenly.... especially to the corners. My travel companion would dump the contents to the luggage center. Without support to the corners, the luggage often comes off the airport baggage belt with the corners crushed.
  • There is a divider that can help your luggage contents from shift side to another.... I find it gets in my way, so I just push it against the side and allows me to cram more inside. Otherwise, when the suit case is not full, you can use the divider from keep the sides from sliding out.
  • if you have troubles closing your luggage, I recommend having a luggage scale to avoid weight surcharges. The first time you avoid a surcharge, the scale has paid for itself. You also minimize the stress and surprise when you need to repack at the airport.
  • if you find your luggage about to explode.... wait until the TSA sticks a pen to the zipper in their random searches.

I have just bought a new set of suitcases. They look lovely. They are spinners and will be easy to move. They are the design I see in so many shops now: two equal sides zipped in the centre. I have packed both sides ready for a holiday (flight this time, cruising in the future) and cannot close the cases without everything falling out of one side as I move it to meet the other side..

One side of the large suitcase holds clothes, held in with a couple of straps. I put things down the sides as well, so if I close that side onto the other one, the little packets will all fall out. The other side contains packing cells and odds and ends, with a flimsy pocket I can zip over it. Things will move around as I try to close this side.

In the small suitcase I have uneven sizes in both sides, so I can't use the zippable pocket to hold things in place.

I would be grateful to hear any tips from others who have used this type of suitcase. I fly out Tuesday morning, so I really only have 24 hours to get advice.

Yep, I've been cursing my clamshell style suitcase all weekend as I try to pack for a cruise next week. I'm getting pretty close to ditching this set. I'm still new to traveling and fortunately I only paid $80 (and they are quite pretty) but the issue with closing them is infuriating.

My main tactic is to avoid loose items as much as possible--so I have lots of packing cubes, little drawstring bags, etc.

The side with the zipper flap gets the smaller bagged items and I accept that they're going to shift, and the side with the straps gets the larger packing cubes filled with clothes. I also thread the straps through the handles of the packing cubes as I stretch them to clip in the middle.

I have my eye on a samsonsite that is designed much better (it's not split right at the middle, has more of a "lid"), but I'm waiting for this set to break.

Edit: I see you just bought them. Is it too late to return them? :)

Edited by perditax

Take and post a photo of the suitcase both empty and filled so we can visualize what the problem may be. I have a similar Am. Tourister bag which is a clamshell evenly split and I have no difficulty packing and closing it.

By the way, I'll be on QM 2 11-18 October 2016 TransAtlantic NY to Southampton, if you wish to

try out my VW (not the automobile, the other VW).

Edited by tangoll
Added last sentence re VW.

I see you just bought them. Is it too late to return them? :)

I only have tomorrow - and the shop is over an hour's drive away and they are all packed now. It would be more stress than dealing with them.

It helps to know someone else feels the same way I do. I wonder who designed them and who thought they were such a good idea that all the companies adopted the idea?

I have always considered myself excellent at packing, but this clamshell design requires completely new skills. Perhaps I will need to get more packing cells for the future.

Take and post a photo of the suitcase both empty and filled so we can visualize what the problem may be. I have a similar Am. Tourister bag which is a clamshell evenly split and I have no difficulty packing and closing it.

Tangoll, do you keep one side on the floor and close the other through 180 degrees, or do you try to lift both sides up at the same time to close in the centre?

Tangoll, do you keep one side on the floor and close the other through 180 degrees, or do you try to lift both sides up at the same time to close in the centre?

I guess the way to handle that is to leave the heavier side on floor and fold the lighter side 180 deg onto the heavier side. If it's a carryon size bag, then I guess swing both sides up at the same time should work. Or something in between, prop up one side with books or whatever up about 30 deg, and then swing the other side onto the propped up one.

Try all methods and whatever works. But I think the issue is really in the packing and distributing the stuff onto the two halves.

I can see I will have to change my whole method of packing with this type of suitcase. I used to be able to pack my previous cases so methodically, with shapes fitting into each other, that they hardly moved. Now that 180 degree of movement to close the case will be inclined to disrupt it, seeing it's not held tight enough.

Perhaps it will be easier than I think once I get down to it. I have only tried to close the carry-on case, and that has some strange shapes and sizes in it that have made it difficult. I might have to just pile everything up on one side and then try to close the lid on top of it.

How about putting a large plastic bag over the contents of one side and securing it with the strap? Or a garment bag. Or a piece of cardboard.

Bonus - if you use a garbage bag it can serve as a laundry bag on your trip.

Really, the manufacturer should have included a divider of some kind for just this purpose. Form over function, again.

Find a large heavy cardboard box, (corrugated plastic sign board might work). Cut a sheet for each opening, sized so that there is less than 1/4" all around the edge. Pack a side, place the cardboard on top and then the flap and straps. Straps do not have to be super tight. Do same on other side.

Thank you all for your very useful suggestions. I am nearly ready to attempt this. I am holding off until the last moment in case I think of something else that has to go in! I would not want to open the suitcase again. Oh for the days when I could just open the zip a little bit and push something into the top - or even into the outside pockets.

You are right that it is form over function! They look stunning but they will drive me mad.

For myself....one side on the floor, the other side against a wall or on a luggage rack. Fill the bottom with the heavy stuff, then slowly build a mold for the top side just before I close it. Works best if you put the deep side on the floor. Edited by xlxo

I always put a large beach towel in the base of my suitcases. Pack on top of this and fold the ends over and secure the straps. You could do this on the side you have the clothes. Then close up suitcase and the towel will hold the clothes in place. That way you can still unzip slightly and pop last minute items in.

I still use my old zip fabric suitcases. They are getting a little old now and weigh more than the new suitcases but I would rather pack less in them than try to find suitable replacements although the day will come when I have to 😔

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

For myself....one side on the floor, the other side against a wall or on a luggage rack. Fill the bottom with the heavy stuff, then slowly build a mold for the top side just before I close it. Works best if you put the deep side on the floor.

I think the problem OP is having, if I understand correctly, is that there is no deep side--there are two equal halves of a plastic clamshell type suitcase. So both sides are going to have an equal amount of stuff in them. One half has a zippered flap that will at least keep stuff from falling out if you use that half as the 'lid', and they other half has a set of flimy elastic x-straps. So being able to close the thing is a challenge I didn't personally consider when I bought my pretty purple suitcases. :)

You will be pleased to know that with all your advice and encouragement, I have managed to close the suitcases. Perhaps I was panicking because the first three times with the small suitcase, it ended badly!

Anyway, all's well that ends well - and thank you for all your support.

So being able to close the thing is a challenge I didn't personally consider when I bought my pretty purple suitcases. :)

Snap! Mine is also a pretty purple suitcase. It's actually a very subtle purple and black check.

This is the first time I have every had matching luggage. I even bought a medium-size suitcase for cruises when I can take as much as I like. However, I wonder how long they will remain matching, before they are trashed by an airline or the cruise ship.

Snap! Mine is also a pretty purple suitcase. It's actually a very subtle purple and black check.

This is the first time I have every had matching luggage. I even bought a medium-size suitcase for cruises when I can take as much as I like. However, I wonder how long they will remain matching, before they are trashed by an airline or the cruise ship.

Haha, I'm guessing we have something pretty similar (mine is Rockland). So far they've withstood two cruises and the attendant flights and seem fairly undamaged.

You will be pleased to know that with all your advice and encouragement, I have managed to close the suitcases. Perhaps I was panicking because the first three times with the small suitcase, it ended badly!

Anyway, all's well that ends well - and thank you for all your support.

It always takes me a while to get used to a new bag.

My travel suitcase is like this one

Mine is a 25 inch - the formal gear went in the top (section with the mesh zipped cover) in a large bundle such that it bulged a bit when zipped up.

Everything else for a 6 we.ek european tour including TA went in the bottom, mainly contained in packing cubes (mostly Tom Bihn brand) - the back was full but not jammed and the lid contents acted like a sponge layer to hold the bottom stable.

Putting the formal gear in the top meant that I only had to open that section for the ship (and to get out a dress for the Jules Verne restaurant in Paris .... cue chocolate dessert memories ..... Mmmmmmmmm)

Keeping the wheel end very slightly heavier is helpful in making it stable - but not so much that you can't carry it briefly by the side handle if needs be.

The design of the spinner really mandates the almost symmetrical base and lid setup so the wheels are anchored to a solid part of the bag.

(Yes i have pictures somewhere - do love my luggage:)

Edited by mariposa777
Typo

This is the one I'm looking up for when my current set falls apart:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6CCPX4

I have Rockland right now, which is like knock off Delsey I think. Either way I'm pretty sure all the plastic stuff is made in China. I don't mean that as a judgment, I just mean it all feels about the same quality when I examine them in Macy's. The difference with the Samsonite I linked to above is that it has more of a lid type shape rather than 50/50 split. But it's a little too pretty, bet it would get scratched up fast.

Before being parted from your baggage take a photo of your suitcase on your mobile.

Our daughter's case went missing on a flight back from Sydney. She provided a photo and the case was found stranded in Hong Kong. It was delivered to our home address within 3 days. We take a fresh photo on every journey just incase!! :)