TP Last Day in PapeeteTour Options

fishman620

I was wondering how that last day in Papeete on the TP works. Our flight doesn't leave until 11 p.m., and was thinking of taking some sort of tour to pass the time but are afraid that we won't be able to get back aboard the TP after the independant tour, should we just stay onboard until about 6p.m., HELP!

Our flight doesn't leave until 11 p.m., and was thinking of taking some sort of tour to pass the time but are afraid that we won't be able to get back aboard the TP after the independant tour

Enjoy your tour and don't worry. Absolutely no need to confine yourself to the ship for the day. This ship handles debarkation day unlike any other cruise I've ever been on. You will be free to come and go as you please.

Still a little unsure of this last day - if we take a tour or rent a car - can we leave our luggage at the ship? Do we have a room to come back and freshen up after a day exploring? Or - do we load everything into a rental car?

Thanks - you learn so much from these boards.

Sandy

I booked the tour with Patrick, which is a full day, getting back to the ship about 4:00pm. Previous posts say you check your carryon bags and they are easily accessible. I figure that is plenty of time for a leisurely dinner and plenty of time to take a cab to the airport for the dreaded long flight home.

Still a little unsure of this last day - if we take a tour or rent a car - can we leave our luggage at the ship? Do we have a room to come back and freshen up after a day exploring?

Your hand luggage can be checked at the alternative dining restaurant, and you can access it if you need to. (ie: To get your medications, etc.)

You will put the bulk of your luggage out in the hallway the night before debarkation (just like any other cruise), and this luggage will be kept in a secure area (under a tent) on the dock, until you claim it before your trip to the airport.

You will not have access to your room, but you do have free use of all the public areas. Some folks used the showers in the spa, before leaving for their flights.

fing10.gif

Fishman,

On our last day, we dressed for the beach like any other day. Checked our carry-ons (with clothes/toiletries) at the steak house and left our passports/jewelry, etc in the Purser's safe. Took the bus to a great black sand beach and spent the day. After returning we hung out at the pool for a few hours then showered/changed in the Spas (which are right next to the pool). Had a quick dinner in the buffet and took a taxi to the airport. Have a great time.

Tammy

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the website address -

http://papeete.com/patrick/index.html

He offers half and full day tours. I choose the full day as I want to savor every moment before leaving. He also feels he can't do the trip justice in only a half a day.

I read good reviews about the trip - do not confuse with Patrick on another island who does not get great reviews.

MK

TSB, for 200 francs we took a fully air-conditioned city bus to Mahina (about a 30 min ride - no traffic). We went to the public black sand beach - soft black sand - restrooms, snack shop. Moorea in the background, pretty hillside to our left and gentle waves to play in. It was a very realxing way to spend the day. Let the bus driver know that you are going to the beach, it drops you off by the snack bar and you really can't see much of the beach. But if you walk to the left you will find it. When we left we had to walk a short way back up the road from the snack shop to catch the bus (let the bus driver know you are going back to Papeete and they will take you to where you catch the connection back to Papeete). The bus dropped us off at LeMarche (where we wanted to do some last minute shopping anyway), then we had a short walk back to the ship.

We are beach lover's and really enjoyed the last day (we had not found any beaches like it anywhere else), there were only locals and a few tourists there - NO ONE from the ship.

By the way, we had found out how to get there by going to the tourist information office right near the ship (exiting the ship go right toward the park and it is just past the park). They sopke English, gave us a map and bus directions. We wish we had gone there at the start of the trip as they had maps of most of the islands. Have a great time.

Tammy

we were on the tp a couple of years ago and we opted to visit moorea once last time. personally i liked that island the best. we took the boat across and rented a car and went exploring on our own. for us it was the perfect end to an absolutely wonderful trip

I am so glad to see all of this information. We will be going on this cruise next August. Has anyone rented a car in Tahiti on that last day? I'm so glad to see that you can check your carry on luggage. The boat ride to Moorea sounds like fun to. what is it like renting a car there? Are there any do's and dont's when renting in any of these islands?

Thanks so much for all of the help.

Tammy - Thank you for the detailed instructions on going to the beach. I have been so fascinated with the opportunity to see one of these unique beaches as I have never been to Hawaii. We will surely find time for this trip.

tsb2

You're welcome TSB. We've done the black sand beach in Maui and Tahitti blew it away. It was a very wide beach and the gentle surf really was fun to play around in.

Just remember that when you catch the bus going back, you need to walk up the road just a little bit from the snack shop to the bus stop.

Tammy

Archived