Dress Code & Formal Night

sundancekid79

My family will be on the 7 Night April 2nd Fantasy sailing out of Port Canaveral that includes the Star Wars day at Sea.

I'm trying to figure out the dress code, specifically how many formal nights there will be? I know normally there's two or three formal nights on a 7 Night sailing, but with Disney trying to fit in "Pirate Night" and "Star Wars Day" I was curious to know what to expect for formal nights?

Am I correct in saying that the dress code is "resort casual" for most nights and that on formal nights the expectation is dresses, suits, shirts and ties?

Any info you could provide would be appreciated.

My family will be on the 7 Night April 2nd Fantasy sailing out of Port Canaveral that includes the Star Wars day at Sea.

I'm trying to figure out the dress code, specifically how many formal nights there will be? I know normally there's two or three formal nights on a 7 Night sailing, but with Disney trying to fit in "Pirate Night" and "Star Wars Day" I was curious to know what to expect for formal nights?

Am I correct in saying that the dress code is "resort casual" for most nights and that on formal nights the expectation is dresses, suits, shirts and ties?

Any info you could provide would be appreciated.

From the DCL website:

Q. Are there dress codes or guidelines regarding dressing for dinner?

A. In general, most onboard dining locations are "cruise casual,” so casual attire, such as shorts and T-shirts, is permitted, with the exception of swimwear and tank tops. Most cruises have special theme nights that provide opportunities to dress up for a one-of-a-kind family photo. Here's a breakdown of special dress events by cruise itinerary:

3-night cruises:

One cruise casual night—no swimwear or tank tops

One pirate night themed deck party

One optional “dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

4-night cruises:

First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

One pirate night themed deck party

One optional dress-up night—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women

Final night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

7-night cruises:

First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops

One pirate night or other themed deck party

3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops

One formal and one semi-formal night—both give you the opportunity to dress up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women

Dress Codes for Palo and Remy, Adults-Only Restaurants for Guests 18 and Older

So that we may provide an enjoyable and refined dining experience for all Guests, please be advised that jeans, shorts, capri pants, flip-flops and tennis shoes are not permitted at Palo or Remy. We thank you for your understanding and your cooperation with the following dress requirements.

At Palo: The elegant northern Italian-inspired dining venue aboard all 4 ships.

Dinner and Brunch

Men: dress pants and dress shirt; jacket is optional

Women: dress or pantsuit

At Remy: Serving sophisticated French cuisine aboard the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.

Dinner

Men: dress pants with sports jacket or suit is required; tie is optional

Women: cocktail dress, pantsuit or skirt with blouse

Brunch

Men: dress pants and a dress shirt; jacket is optional

Women: dress or pantsuit

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/dining-food-beverages/dining-dress-codes/

All that being said, you'll see all manner of dress from shorts to fancy clothes on any night, including "formal" nights. As long as you go with the basic "no swimwear or tank tops" you'll be fine with whatever you wear. That's for the Main Dining Rooms.

Edited by Shmoo here

Traditionally, on a 7 night cruise, there is 1 formal and 1 semi-formal night. I doubt that DCL will stray from that, you'd have Star Wars night and Pirate night in addition to those.

On regular nights, the only limit is no swimwear and no tank tops.

On the formal and semi-formal, the recommendation is along the lines you mention (dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women) but it is only optional, not required.

There is no ENFORCED dress code in the main dining rooms on DCL ships. The only enforcement is in adult only venues. In the MDRs, it is "suggested attire," and as long as you have something on your feet and are not wearing an obvious swimsuit, you'll be allowed in. Basically, "no shoes, no shirt, no service" and very little beyond that.

On formal/semi night you will see people in formal attire, a lot of people dressed up but not technically formal, and some people in torn jeans and t-shirts. No matter what you choose, others will be in something similar.

What's your opinion on board shorts? Not at dinner, but like for breakfast/lunch. Is that an "obvious swimsuit" that they'd kick you out for? What about for kids? Dry suits, not wet ones.

Dry board shorts are fine with a tee shirt.

As sexist as it sounds, they probably just don't want ladies in bikini's or one piece swimsuits in the MDR's without being covered up. That said, they probably don't want any men in speedo's either!

ex techie

Disney and therefore DCL appeal to many nationalities and cultures.

It isn't uncommon to see ladies in bikini's or some men in speedo's on the pool deck sometimes. All wearing appropriate bathing costumes for their cultures or just their tastes and within DCL rules.

The occasional topless lady sunbather has had to be asked to cover up in the past. :eek: ;)

I'm glad DCL ask for Guest's to cover up in the MDR's though. That isn't the appropriate place to be wearing swimsuits for anyone. The buffet is more relaxed.

ex techie

I think they're all accommodating, it's just the majority appear to have American tendencies.

Initially, I wasn't sure if a more European style of swim dress would be a good thing or bad thing. But, thinking about the demographics (and yes, looking down at myself as well), perhaps it's for the best that the speedos and topless sunbathing are in the minority. :)

There is no ENFORCED dress code in the main dining rooms on DCL ships. The only enforcement is in adult only venues. In the MDRs' date=' it is "suggested attire," and as long as you have something on your feet and are not wearing an obvious swimsuit, you'll be allowed in. Basically, "no shoes, no shirt, no service" and very little beyond that.

On formal/semi night you will see people in formal attire, a lot of people dressed up but not technically formal, and some people in torn jeans and t-shirts. No matter what you choose, others will be in something similar.[/quote']

Yes. ENFORCED. That's a good way to put it.

On our three day cruise last February, we walked into the Animator's Palate on optional-formal night to a room full of dressed up people. We were wearing our regular cruise-wear and felt VERY out of place. I'm sure it is different for every cruise, but for our next cruise, I will make sure we wear our Palo clothes to the "optional" formal night. (We aren't even remotely dress up people)

Yes. ENFORCED. That's a good way to put it.

On our three day cruise last February, we walked into the Animator's Palate on optional-formal night to a room full of dressed up people. We were wearing our regular cruise-wear and felt VERY out of place. I'm sure it is different for every cruise, but for our next cruise, I will make sure we wear our Palo clothes to the "optional" formal night. (We aren't even remotely dress up people)

Note--it is not "Optional FORMAL night," it is "dress up optional" night. We have always defined this as the night to wear the nicest clothes we brought along.

While I'm sure there were many people dressed up, my experience has always been that there are many others who make no effort toward dressing up for this evening. But then, each cruise is different.

Note--it is not "Optional FORMAL night' date='" it is "dress up optional" night. We have always defined this as the night to wear the nicest clothes we brought along.

While I'm sure there were many people dressed up, my experience has always been that there are many others who make no effort toward dressing up for this evening. But then, each cruise is different.[/quote']

Yes. Sorry.. Formal and dress up mean the same thing to me in my jeans and t-shirt world.