Carnivals Vacation Protection, details? Experiences?

wantocruisemore

You're correct. If you have a "pre-existing" condition but it does not change, require new/revised treatment, or require a Prescription change in the preceding 60 days, then it's covered.

Double check that 60 day window - I think it's the 60 days window before purchasing insurance?

The value of 3rd party plans with "waiver of pre-existing conditions" is that in event of a claim,, the insurer isn't spending forever trying to conjure up a pre-existing condition so they don't have to pay.

The Carnival plan has some plusses, but it's generally more expensive than 3rd party plans (especially the younger you are), the Medical coverage is VERY low and the MedEvac coverage is pretty marginal. Generally you can get more coverage and lower cost with the 3rd party policies. If you're USAA member they offer policies with additional cost reduction and some higher benefits.

Ken

Edited by Ken076

On our November cruise we met a couple that the mother had fallen on first sea day. Broke her hip. They kept her on pain meds in ship hospital till ship got to Cozumel then she was air lifted to Florida,where she had surgery. The couple went on to say how happy the mother was she had insurance.

This couple had not gotten insurance but said they would be doing it from here on out.

So things can happen ON the cruise that involves a bit more $$$$ than just the cruise fare or a flight.

Effective date would be the date the cruise starts. I know because I just had a medical procedure done and called TransAmerica who does Carnivals insurance. As long as I don't leave on a cruise ship within the next 60 days, anything close to a complication from the procedure would NOT be considered pre-existing.