Train from Tokyo to Kobe day of cruise

RaptorMom

We are taking the Princess cruise out of Kobe on June 10th but are flying into Tokyo a couple of days before then. Can we take the Shinkansen the morning of the 10th? Will there be enough time - boarding ship around 2 PM but can board up until 4 PM? And what time should we catch the train? We are looking at staying in a hotel next to the Tokyo train station.

Also, it sounds like I cannot buy the train tickets until we get to Japan. Is that true? We will be there late on the 8th. Will we still be able to get tickets?

Please let me know if this is doable?

The fastest Nozomi Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Shin-Kobe Station takes 2 Hr 45 minutes. It leaves regularly. You would then need to get to the port in Kobe.

Check the Hyperdia.com/en website for all schedules and costs.

You will make it easily and should have no problem buying a ticket. The trains are fantastic. The shinkansen arrives in Kobe at Shin-Kobe in a large underground station. You can then easily transfer to Sannomiya and then to the Port Terminal itself where Princess docks. (You could get a taxi from the Shin-Kobe station for a reasonable cost if you didn't want to muck around)

It's not only doable, it should be easy.

There is a train from Tokyo station to Shin-Kobe about every twenty minutes, so if you leave before 10 am, you will be in Shin-Kobe before 12:30. Getting from the station to the port can be done by local train, or by taxi. You will need to know where your ship actually will be, but they should be providing that information to you anyway.

You should have no problem buying tickets the day of, but if that worries you, the ticket office in Tokyo station will sell them to you ahead of time without any problem, so you can get them when you arrive. They will not be cheap tickets: it's about a 15000 yen trip for an adult.

The Hyperdia website that TFCRUISER posted is my go-to place for schedules and fares in Japan. I'm over about once a month, and have never had a problem getting anywhere in Japan. I usually write out in English, and have someone at the hotel write out in Japanese, where I want to go and when. The only other question you will need to ask is "Platform?" since Tokyo station is a very large place. The signs in the station are in English, there are always people able to point you in the right direction.

The only thing I warn westerners about when they travel to Japan is timing: if the schedule says your train leaves at 9:38, it will start to roll at 9:38. Always plan on getting to the platform early.

You will make it easily and should have no problem buying a ticket. The trains are fantastic. The shinkansen arrives in Kobe at Shin-Kobe in a large underground station. You can then easily transfer to Sannomiya and then to the Port Terminal itself where Princess docks. (You could get a taxi from the Shin-Kobe station for a reasonable cost if you didn't want to muck around)

The trains are on time and fast. Absent an earthquake, you should get there just fine.

Note, we took the Celebrity Millennium from Yokohama and stopped in Kobe for a day and a half. On the second day, we took the train from Sannomiya to Himeji Castle, which is south of Kobe. We took the wrong train back to Kobe and wound up in Osaka. The station attendant gave us the wrong advice.

Just make sure you get on the right trains.

There is a Monorail from Sonnomiya to the cruise port that is very convenient.