Avoid Frigate Bay

uglybutgoodbakery

We were on Frigate Bay Beach last week, as we had been there 2 years prior and enjoyed ourselves.

The beach this time was in terrible shape, trash all over, dilapidated chairs and umbrellas, abandoned buildings.

For 10/chair, they set them up far too close together, literally inches apart -- smell your neighbor's cigarette like your smoking it yourself-- and then put the chairs waaay too close to the shoreline...watch as your belongings magically wash away and disappear into the ocean.

But worst of all, the people who work there are MISERABLE and nasty, from the chair guys to the crappy little "bar" attendant. We have been to just about every Caribbean island there is, and this experience was our worst. We did notice some German tourists from MSC who were being very rude to the workers, but we were not, we were bring polite and sympathetic. However, after 45 minutes and after a chair attendant threw an umbrella down on the chair next to me, hitting my ankle with it pretty hard (no apology) we had enough and bugged out. We went to Carambola. Cost us a lot of extra chair rental and cab fare, but the beach was FAR superior.

I would say avoid Frigate at all cost. We did not feel welcome or safe.

We were on Frigate Bay Beach last week, as we had been there 2 years prior and enjoyed ourselves.

The beach this time was in terrible shape, trash all over, dilapidated chairs and umbrellas, abandoned buildings.

For 10/chair, they set them up far too close together, literally inches apart -- smell your neighbor's cigarette like your smoking it yourself-- and then put the chairs waaay too close to the shoreline...watch as your belongings magically wash away and disappear into the ocean.

But worst of all, the people who work there are MISERABLE and nasty, from the chair guys to the crappy little "bar" attendant. We have been to just about every Caribbean island there is, and this experience was our worst. We did notice some German tourists from MSC who were being very rude to the workers, but we were not, we were bring polite and sympathetic. However, after 45 minutes and after a chair attendant threw an umbrella down on the chair next to me, hitting my ankle with it pretty hard (no apology) we had enough and bugged out. We went to Carambola. Cost us a lot of extra chair rental and cab fare, but the beach was FAR superior.

I would say avoid Frigate at all cost. We did not feel welcome or safe.

What's the name of the beach bar there? Is it Shipwreck? Just wondering, my neighbors were there last year and loved it. We are going to be there in april but doing a tour but have the option to be dropped off at a beach.

Carambola and Shipwreck are both restaurant bars on the same crescent beach, about 10 minutes apart. We had chairs on Carambola. We walked to Shipwreck. The beach in front of Shipwreck is eroded but the bar was cool for a quick drink. I wouldn't go specifically to Shipwreck to spend the day, though. The beach at Carambola's end is wider and nicer, and the restaurant/bar was cleaner and nicer, as were the facilities.

Either one was better than Frigate.

Edited by uglybutgoodbakery

Carambola and Shipwreck are at opposite ends of south friars beach. There's also a cool little bar halfway along that's blue. There's a lot more room than at shipwrecks and the rum punch was good too! Be VERY careful of the sea urchins. They are literally everywhere. You can only enter the water towards carambola or at the very end by Shipwreck. The snorkelling is good though.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

What's the name of the beach bar there? Is it Shipwreck? Just wondering, my neighbors were there last year and loved it. We are going to be there in april but doing a tour but have the option to be dropped off at a beach.

Just to clarify, Shipwreck is one beach down - South Friar's.

There is also a North Frigate which is different from the one the poster is referring to. On the Atlantic side (South Frigate is Caribbean).

Yes, we were on S Frigate.

Saying "one beach down" is just confusing. It's all one beach, just a walk down on the sand. There's not more than one beach. Just different businesses on it....

And no, do not go in the water there unless you are brave: I saw a man get stung and he was in agony.

Edited by uglybutgoodbakery

Yes, we were on S Frigate.

Saying "one beach down" is just confusing. It's all one beach, just a walk down on the sand. There's not more than one beach. Just different businesses on it....

And no, do not go in the water there unless you are brave: I saw a man get stung and he was in agony.

Frigate Beach is home to Shiggidy Shack and is also known as 'The Strip" it also has the Timothy Beach Resort.

South Friars Beach is one beach down which has Carmabola on the top of the beach and Shipwreck is at the other end of South Friars. Approx a 10 minute walk along the beach

You can not walk from Frigate Beach to South Friars Beach. It is about a good 10 minute drive and on the other side of the mountain

I'm not saying you can walk anywhere from s frigate.

I was referring to the beach that we ended up taking a cab

TO -- CARAMBOLA -- and walking down that beach -- from Carambola -- to Shipwreck.

"Yes, we were on S Frigate.

Saying "one beach down" is just confusing. It's all one beach, just a walk down on the sand. There's not more than one beach. Just different businesses on it..."

Your comment was you were on S Frigate then went on to talk about Carmabola and Shipwreck. Carmabola and Shipwreck is on South Friars Beach. Which was confusing to read.

My response was a clarification on the difference between Frigate and South Friars and that are 2 different beaches and are not walkable.