Help please for first time in Asia

English Tim

We are fortunate enough to be cruising from Singapore to Hong Kong and even more so, to be on Seabourn.

We are experienced cruises but have little knowledge of what to expect in this part of Asia. How much money to take and in what currencies? We visit Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Do people take private tours (with guides) or just ship excursions. Are taxi drivers generally safe and trustworthy.

I would be grateful for any advice.

We are fortunate enough to be cruising from Singapore to Hong Kong and even more so, to be on Seabourn.

We are experienced cruises but have little knowledge of what to expect in this part of Asia. How much money to take and in what currencies? We visit Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Do people take private tours (with guides) or just ship excursions. Are taxi drivers generally safe and trustworthy.

We cruised Singapore to HK last February.

Do take a couple of days to visit both Singapore and HK. They are well worth it. We stayed at Raffles in Singapore: pricey but amazing and, we thought, worth the money. In HK we stayed at the Four Seasons. Not as good as Raffles but still very nice. For both Singapore and HK we got local money out of the ATM.

In Thailand we took a Seabourn tour into Bangkok to see the Grand Palace and the temple of Dawn. It was pretty good. However, I didn't spend any actual cash so no need to get local money.

In Cambodia we did a private tour organised by another person in our group. That went pretty well but, again, we didn't spend any cash. However, I had the impression that they were more than happy to take US Dollars.

In Saigon we also did an all day private tour also organised by that other person. We were there for two days so the next day we just took the shuttle into town and walked around. Great place and felt very safe. In both Da Nang and Ha Long Bay we took Seabourn tours. Again, Vietnam seemed to love US dollars although I did manage to come home with a 10,000 Dong bill (worth about $2.50).

Only places we took taxis were Singapore and HK. Singapore we got a taxi from the airport to the hotel. Very efficient and only 20 dollars. We also got a taxi from the hotel to the cruise terminal. Similar story. Singapore taxis are safe and reliable in my experience.

In HK I think we got ripped off by the taxi from the cruise terminal. So, to get to the airport, we paid for the Four Seasons Limo service which was great and, in my opinion, worth the money. Other than that, we didn't use taxis in HK and just walked around.

Edited by Roxburgh

Roxburgh, thanks for an excellent comprehensive reply.

We have two nights booked at Sofitel Singapore So prior to the cruise, booked through Amex and leave HK at 00.01 the following day, so should have a full day to explore. I believe there are left luggage facilities near the ship, at one of the subway stations.

We usually explore on our own, but as we are unlikely to do this itinerary again, we'll probably take some more expensive options.

In Cambodia, US dollars are widely accepted (and even preferred) - just be certain they are new crisp bills. A $1 bill can get you fairly far. You can have a great dinner (with drinks) for under $20.

You'll want local currency in the other ports (Singapore dollars, Thai baht, Vietnamese dong, and HK dollars) and you will be able to easily exchange them for currency for the next stop.

I've traveled in all five countries as a solo female traveler for leisure and have spent time in Singapore and Hong Kong for work.

Zero need to organize an excursion in Hong King as its one of the easiest "do it yourself" cities there is. Walk out of the cruise terminal and hop a ride on the Star Ferry for a truly magnificent colonial style ride. Take the escalators through the midlevels and the tram up to Victoria Peak for breathtaking views. Do some shopping (from luxury goods to markets where you haggle, they have it all).

I'm very jealous - this cruise itinerary is in my bucket list so I can revisit some of my favorite cities by sea!

I've been to these places many times.

In Vietnam and Cambodia they take USA currency and we have never gotten local currency.

In Thailand while a few places take USA currency (same is true in Singapore) you should get local currency in each country.

Singapore is very easy to visit on your own. We do a lot of walking but they have a wonderful subway system. Taxis are very nice and also very safe.

So much to see there. I like the Orchid Garden, Gardens by the Bay, Singapore Zoo, visiting Little India, visiting Chinatown, walking near the government buildings and many other parts of Singapore. There is more shopping than you can imagine but my shopping tip is for those items you might want to bring home for others or even yourself you will find extraordinary pricing in Vietnam. I have bought items that are 20% of the cost that the same item would be in Singapore.

In Vietnam while you could say do Saigon on your own I would book a tour. Try to do it private. You can cover a lot of places and easier to get around. If you are there two days many shuttles drop you off near the Rex Hotel and from there you can walk to many places.

In Cambodia we have gone to an orphanage a couple of times. You can go into the local town. Some people go out much further on tours.

Not sure your stops in Vietnam. I can add more if you list them out.

Yes, I felt safe in Vietnam and Cambodia.

In Bangkok, while most people are nice there are some who do want to take advantage of you. Yes, that can happen anywhere but I would not let my guard down there. If you tour on your own try to make use of the overhead train. Avoid the Tuk Tuk. They will literally take you for a ride and want to get your money .

Doing a private tour there would be good too.

Don't underestimate the heat. I love hot weather and live in a place that gets very hot in the summer but it can be very hot in some of these places. Now it is the luck of the draw. You might be there when it is not so hot or when the morning is quite nice.

Keith

English Tom:

Lame Chabang is about 90 minutes from Bangkok. You will want to either take a ships excursion or a private excursion to Bangkok. Are you there for one day or an overnight?

For Saigon I would do a one day tour. If you need a recommendation for a private tour I can give you one. The next day you could take the ships shuttle and enjoy Saigon on your own.

For Halong Bay I would take a Junk Boat. It is amazing and is a UNESCO site. If you have a roll call with six of you, you could take a private Junk Boat at the same price as booking a ships tour. The tour guide I use in Saigon could arrange the tour. Ours was amazing.

For Da Nang I would take a tour because there is not much by the pier.

Keith

English Tom:

Lame Chabang is about 90 minutes from Bangkok. You will want to either take a ships excursion or a private excursion to Bangkok. Are you there for one day or an overnight?

For Saigon I would do a one day tour. If you need a recommendation for a private tour I can give you one. The next day you could take the ships shuttle and enjoy Saigon on your own.

For Halong Bay I would take a Junk Boat. It is amazing and is a UNESCO site. If you have a roll call with six of you, you could take a private Junk Boat at the same price as booking a ships tour. The tour guide I use in Saigon could arrange the tour. Ours was amazing.

For Da Nang I would take a tour because there is not much by the pier.

Keith

This is the same itinerary that we had last February and I endorse Keith's suggestions. His suggestion for Saigon is exactly what we did.

Also, for Saigon .... do get up early and enjoy the sail up the Saigon River. It is well worth it!

Da Nang - we did the to to Hue which I really enjoyed. Not just Hue but the drive up Rte. 1 to get there which gave a real glimpse of Vietnamese life.

Ha Long Bay - make sure any tour you do includes the caves.

Ko Kood is a beach party. Lots of fun! And the locals will probably set up the Thai massage area. Much cheaper than getting a massage onboard.

Sihanoukville - not a lot there. You should look at taking a tour.

Thanks Keith.

Our stops are Laem Chabang and Ko Kood in Thailand, then Sihanoukville, Cambodia, Da Nang, Saigon (1.5 days) and Halong Bay Vietnam, before disembarking for a long day in Hong Kong.

I don't know how much time you have in Da Nang, but if you have the time I would recommend Hoi An, about a $20 USD/45" taxi ride from Da Nang, via the marble mountains.

Hoi An is a UNESCO World Heritage place. You can walk through the streets for free, and there is plenty to see. If you want to visit something, you will have to buy a "Multi-entrance" ticket. You buy them in any of the ticket offices that are in some travel agencies in the old town. The money goes to mantaining the old town. It is a few years since we were there, but the tickets then were 50.000 VND, (about 3 USD) and for that you could visit:

- 1 of the 3 museums

- 1 of the 3 Old Houses

- 1 of the 3 Assembly Halls

- Traditional Music Concert and Handicraft Workshop

- The Japanese Bridge or Quan Cong's Temple (You can walk over the bridge for free, but don’t look in the Bridge’s temple go to the Quan Cong temple instead.)

In Saigon, I would recommend a tour to the Cu Chi Tunnels via Saigon River Speedboats.

Edited by Laylam