Flying out of New Orleans

paynete

This will be our first time cruising out of New Orleans. We see a direct flight at 10 am but think that is pushing it. The next cheapest flight isn't till 9 pm[emoji35].

So my questions are:

Can we make the 10am flight?

Or if we do the 9pm what to do with our luggage all day?

Thanks!

If 10am and 9pm are your only choices, and you don't want to spend the day in New Orleans, then I'd go for the 10am. It's earlier than I'd prefer, but you could make it.

The airport is about a 15 to 20 minute taxi ride from the pier. You would want to be one of the first ones off the ship, preferably carrying your own bags, and it would help if you had your transportation already arranged (such as a car service), but there are always taxis waiting at the cruise port.

Your only catch will be if there's a hold up with clearing the ship for disembarkation, but that's pretty rare.

Last time we cruised out of New Orleans, there were signs for a luggage storage and delivery service right there on the pier. You could use that if you opt for the 9pm flight. I think they store your luggage, and will optionally deliver it to the airport for you, but I've never used it so can't tell you for sure.

Your cruise line may also have a service where they take your bags the night before and deliver them to the airport, including checking them for you. You don't see them again until you reach home, so plan accordingly if you want to use that service.

This will be our first time cruising out of New Orleans. We see a direct flight at 10 am but think that is pushing it. The next cheapest flight isn't till 9 pm[emoji35].

So my questions are:

Can we make the 10am flight?

Or if we do the 9pm what to do with our luggage all day?

Thanks!

If 10am and 9pm are your only choices, and you don't want to spend the day in New Orleans, then I'd go for the 10am. It's earlier than I'd prefer, but you could make it.

The airport is about a 15 to 20 minute taxi ride from the pier. You would want to be one of the first ones off the ship, preferably carrying your own bags, and it would help if you had your transportation already arranged (such as a car service), but there are always taxis waiting at the cruise port.

Your only catch will be if there's a hold up with clearing the ship for disembarkation, but that's pretty rare.

Last time we cruised out of New Orleans, there were signs for a luggage storage and delivery service right there on the pier. You could use that if you opt for the 9pm flight. I think they store your luggage, and will optionally deliver it to the airport for you, but I've never used it so can't tell you for sure.

Your cruise line may also have a service where they take your bags the night before and deliver them to the airport, including checking them for you. You don't see them again until you reach home, so plan accordingly if you want to use that service.

I drive through NOLA quite often for work.....if the is ANY sort of accident or road work that could cause a traffic tie up you have NO shot of getting there in 15-20 min. Not to mention any sort of delay coming up the river to the city to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...

We used the company at the pier to hold our bags for the day and paid extra to have them delivered at the airport. Carnival does not have luggage express for NOLA which is a real shame as I think MANY would use it.

Once you are off the ship and have your bags taken care of the Street Car stop is just a hop skip and jump away. That car runs the river and you can get off down by Jackson Square/ French Market area. From there you can walk most places or catch the streetcars going the other directions. When you have had your fill either back to the port to collect your luggage and grab a cab to the airport. Or if they will deliver your luggage you just grab a cab to the airport at your leisure.