Transatlantic Weather

spindrift

As an experienced sailor/and ships navigator/Officer of some experience...I have to say that based on historical data from decades of collection my mariners, that you April crossing is going to be subjected to a good portion of storm/seas and winds.... You can get those books and charts at many nautical supply outlets..navigators and ships officers USE them....they are the Farmers Almanac of the Sea... they are going to the bank accurate.

Its from memory ( and theText book "sailing routes of the world and associated pilot charts.) that you stand a 25%chance of missing weather and thus a 75% chance. It is on the cusp of the beginning of hurricane season

Some are luckey..Most are not......

When I make that crossing I book an inside as low as possible.... A veranda or PH....no thanks

Well, you just sold me on not going. I can take good advise and say thank you very much.

As an experienced sailor/and ships navigator/Officer of some experience...I have to say that based on historical data from decades of collection my mariners, that you April crossing is going to be subjected to a good portion of storm/seas and winds.... You can get those books and charts at many nautical supply outlets..navigators and ships officers USE them....they are the Farmers Almanac of the Sea... they are going to the bank accurate.

Its from memory ( and theText book "sailing routes of the world and associated pilot charts.) that you stand a 25%chance of missing weather and thus a 75% chance. It is on the cusp of the beginning of hurricane season

Some are luckey..Most are not......

When I make that crossing I book an inside as low as possible.... A veranda or PH....no thanks

We hit the 25% chance of missing weather from the Bahamas to Ponta Delgada in April. Our Nov 2013 Westbound was just the opposite, we hit the 75% chance of getting weather. Nasty and cool weather everyday across the Atlantic.

this is always a question everywhere in the world a cruiser is likely to go to.

To get the dope on the wholeworld at any time of the year go out and buy "Sailing Routes of The World. Then you can buy what are called "Pilot Charts"

They are sold in sectors of the world. They grid up the ocean and in each grid give seasonal current, wind strenght and direction, sea condition, As I said its a farmers alminac of the ocean.. I used them myself to sail all over gods blue earth in stuff fron 42 ft to 900ft...

So any time your sitting at home on the porch or your den...and say " hey I wonder what the weather would be for X cruise.... Well crack the book and plot the cruise path.... Lots of fun.... Helps you decide whether to book a veranda high up or or a inside low down... ( why spend $$$ to get wind and rain pounded)

Me... I have never been even remotely sick at sea been in 30degree roll pitch and yaw for days at a time...(and had to work the bridge and plot at the same time) Maybe I am twisted...because I sail the sea to feel the "motion of the ocean" and loathe sailing on a lake.......

this is always a question everywhere in the world a cruiser is likely to go to.

To get the dope on the wholeworld at any time of the year go out and buy "Sailing Routes of The World. Then you can buy what are called "Pilot Charts"

They are sold in sectors of the world. They grid up the ocean and in each grid give seasonal current, wind strenght and direction, sea condition, As I said its a farmers alminac of the ocean.. I used them myself to sail all over gods blue earth in stuff fron 42 ft to 900ft...

So any time your sitting at home on the porch or your den...and say " hey I wonder what the weather would be for X cruise.... Well crack the book and plot the cruise path.... Lots of fun.... Helps you decide whether to book a veranda high up or or a inside low down... ( why spend $$$ to get wind and rain pounded)

Me... I have never been even remotely sick at sea been in 30degree roll pitch and yaw for days at a time...(and had to work the bridge and plot at the same time) Maybe I am twisted...because I sail the sea to feel the "motion of the ocean" and loathe sailing on a lake.......

Don't need to buy all those books and read so much. Can I just call you up and get all the infomation from you. Would be a big help and would know where to go when the seas are pretty calm.

Don't need to buy all those books and read so much. Can I just call you up and get all the infomation from you. Would be a big help and would know where to go when the seas are pretty calm.

Whats interesting is that there is a consistency of weather. Low pressure and high pressures shift with alarming regularity. The Pacific High is a classic so is the Tasman sea....... Its not rocket science.

For example why do most cruises to China favor winter/....

As the world turns you can figgure it out....