I deserve a Medal!! :)

rgmacm

Yes, I deserve a medal....I just convinced my 73 year old father to take his first cruise EVER!! They are avid RV'ers and Dad always said he was NOT interested in cruises....Did NOT want to take one! HAHA!!!

Anyway, now that I've convinced him, I'm getting cold feet.:eek: I really want him to enjoy it... We've selected a 5 day out of Galveston just because it's within a days drive from home so doesn't require a flight - therefore, cutting down on cost....and 5 days won't be bad if it turns out that he really DOES hate cruising.... :o

I've cruised with Carnival before but it's been a LONG time ago - we are actually Princess people....so, I have questions....mainly about food

--Are there good selections of sugar free desserts?

--What are the chances of finding anything whole wheat? (He has health issues that restrict his diet. Venturing off his diet for 5 days is not awful... but WILL make my mother very nervous if he ventures too far 'off' of it.

--My experience with Princess is that their salad bars and breakfast bars are FULL of wonderful choices of vegetables and fruits. is that the case with Carnival as well?

thanks!

Platinum on both Princess and Carnival. We prefer Carnival's MDR choices and Princess's buffet.

Carnival's buffet is adequate but not like Princess's. The salad and fruit parts are about the same. The hot part is limited. The deli makes very good sandwiches.

I've seen brown rolls, whether they are whole wheat or not is anybody's guess.

There are sugar free options. Some are better than others.

Other things--- Carnival has free hot chocolate machines in the buffet, available 24/7. Omelets have their own stations and you need to wait for them. On occasion the buffet waiters will come around with drinks, but it's not a common occurrence as it is on Princess.

Carnival is very good with special diets. See the Maitre D the first day and order that night's meal. Then each night the order is taken for the next day.

Carnival does ATD better than Princess. Carnival makes sure that pax go to their assigned MDR. We've had issues with Princess ATD.

FWIW- we've never had to request a foam mattress topper on Carnival.

Edited by SadieN

Get in touch with Carnivals Special Needs Department, one of our tablemates was on a special food plan the S.N.D. helped her. Every night one of the Hostess came to the table with the next days menu so she was able to work out her next nights meal. Also my D.W asked our waiter fop whole wheat or rye bread which they did not have the next night they had some for her

73 huh? and an RV"er. I'd say your Dad is up to the task of enjoying a cruise no matter his food restrictions. (By the way 73 is still "young"). We took our parents when they were in their mid 80s and they enjoyed every minute. They loved the buffet (never understood that because it is far from my favorite). Sugar free desserts are readily available and they have always had whole wheat bread, bagels, etc. and there is always fresh fruit and plenty of "salad" options.

The cruise, itself, is geared to people of all ages. Plenty of places to sit and people watch and my parents enjoyed the hot tubs, the leisurely pace of meals, the piano bar, and the audience participation activities. Dad killed at Trivia. And Mom loved it when she went to the shows and were awarded a "ship on a stick" for having been married the longest at over 65 years...though Dad would often disappear when the applause started.

Don't worry, he'll have a good time.

After many years of buffet while cruising, DH & I now go to the dining room for breakfast every day. Service is quick, food is hot & fresh & no waiting in line like a buffet. Plus, you can order eggs any way you want them. It seems to us it is an overall better experience. BTW, we still order room service coffee, fruit & some danish for in the cabin while we're getting ready. Works perfectly for us.:)