QM2 - January 3, 2006

cruiserking

My husband's mother emigrated from Ireland on the original Queen Mary, shortly after WWII. I believe it was used as a troop or supply ship during the war, then back to passenger transportation afterwards. Someone correct me if that's wrong.

Hello! It's my first post. I'm really devouring these pages, but I haven't read this whole thread yet. I apologize if I'm repeating what someone else has said.

The original Queen Mary was used as a troop transport in WWII. She was painted gray, which was known as her gray ghost paint. Directly after the war, she was used as a war bride's ship, transporting all the war brides to their new homes in America. (Your mother-in-law!!!)

If you have the opportunity to stay the night in the Queen Mary I, pull the drawers all the way out and look at the bottom. Some of the soldiers wrote their name and serial number in case they didn't make it home.

If you don't have the opportunity to visit her, rent the movie, "The Adventures of Walter Mitty" with Danny Kaye. The Mary is in the background of one of the scenes, still decked out in her Gray Ghost paint.

The original Queen Mary was used as a troop transport in WWII. She was painted gray, which was known as her gray ghost paint. Directly after the war, she was used as a war bride's ship, transporting all the war brides to their new homes in America. (Your mother-in-law!!!)

If you have the opportunity to stay the night in the Queen Mary I, pull the drawers all the way out and look at the bottom. Some of the soldiers wrote their name and serial number in case they didn't make it home.

quote]

I will be staying on the Queen Mary for two nights after getting off the QE2 in a little over two weeks. I will definitely look under the drawers. I love all of the old mystery and memorabila. If I come up with any names, I will post them and see if we can come up with some history.

We live in California and I am trying to find out how much their 3 day to Ensanada cruise is. I think it would be worth it just to say we went on the QM2. What about it? I would like to take my married daughter and my other 2 children, 19 and 16. Some advice from anyone?

You may be a bit late, but it might be worth a call to your travel agent.

I called my agent a few days ago to inquire about upgrades, he said the ship is fully booked. However, there may be a cancellation, you never know!

BTW, I think this was a very pricey cruise for the itinerary, we booked because it's a great opportunity to sail on QM2 and it's our anniversary. I won't discuss price, but it was at least twice the amount of this same itinerary on other lines.

Okay!

Quickly, as I have to get down to Pub Trivia and hold up my end of the team

We are in Panama- Sail in less than an hour for Costa Rica.

All is beautiful so far. A few things I might change about the ship if I were the designer. More later. Picked up two John Maxtone-Graham books and the Commodore's book. May splurge on one or two more before I depart this lovely lady. The Commodore also recommended one the same size as JMG book written in German, says pick it up just for the pictures. May check it out in the libary.

Met at least half of our Cruise Critics buddies. Had cocktails with a few, there are some really marvelous (and erudite) people on this board! And NOBODY is snobby in the least! And not on the ship either.

Lady living on QE2 still living there according to Commodore Warwick- He says she is a VERY serious bridge player! As in has a fit if you play the wrong card! <LOL> I said, well, at her age, I guess you've earned the right! There is a woman on this ship I do not know her story yet, but she also seems to be on "for the duration" I think we are starting to be friends. She seemed reticent to tell anything about herself. That is her prerogative. But we are starting to be friendly. I think there is a sadness about her. She hangs out inthe Commodore Club. her name is Jennifer- lovely young lady- if anyone happens to sail, be friendly to her. She seems to be sad, sometimes. Likes Captain Morgan Rum and smokes cigarettes (ugh) Apparently they stock the rum for her! <LOL> I'd love to hear her story.

Gotta run, will write more when i can!

Had dinner with the Commodore and his wife last they. They are marvelous people- both of them! Just very genuine and put me right at ease immediately. I was so nervous!

Oops. Almost lost this whole post. I'm gonna send now before I lose it again!' I HATE typing on a laptop! Arrgh!

Pub trivia Awaits!

Pub trivia Awaits!

I also looked forward to gathering for trivia - we had a fun, large group that would gather for the late afternoon sessions on our 17 day cruise in 2004. Do the bartenders still play along at the trivia games?

Please continue to post your observances. I'm getting my fill of vicarious ship board people-watching and scuttlebutt. Thank you for taking the time to post while on board.

We have been enjoying a marvelous cruise aboard the QM2. Due to swells experienced in Puerto Moin, Costa Rica we are now New York bound having had to forgo our port stop. Because of the nixed stop there has been some frustration echoing amongst the passengers, however, not nearly as bad as some of tension that brews during our rigorous bouts of Pub Trivia.

We were very proud to have been victorious at Pirate Pub Trivia last evening, as Team Aaargh! walked off with the spoils.

Personally, my the port highlight of the voyage has been Panama. We took the Panama Railway excursion and were delighted by the newly refurbished cars, which have been designed to emulate the Orient Express.

QM2 looks fabulous, she sparkles constantly. We did have a very successful Cruise Critic meeting. I am also pleased to say I have met many representatives from the Cruise Critic Lurkers Contingent, a very jolly crew indeed.

In the Nitpicking Department, I would vote that Cunard do-away with the constant background music that permeates every public lounge on the vessel. The library is the only quiet enclave on the ship, save for the promenade decks and staterooms.

Furthermore, I vote for additional formal nights aboard. The casual/formal debate has echoed on these boards incessantly, formal dress is an integral part of the Cunard tradition and it should be upheld. In fact after a battery of complaints had been registered at the Purser's Office, regarding the excessive amount of casual nights on this cruise, the addition of one semi-formal night has been added to the roster.

I'm off for lunch now, I see Spotted Dick is being offered on the dessert menu. Have not sampled this British offering, though I'm guessing perhaps it's in the tapioca family.

Cruiserking

Yes- Pub Trivia.- Some of our cuise critics are brilliant, I must say- I thought I was smarter than the average snail-darter, but these people make me feel like a rank amateur! A couple of the critics have had the absolutely thrillling opportunity to dine at the "Captain's Table" with the Commodore and his wife. There is a cocktail party tonight, which, I believe is the Commodore and his staff along with those who have been present at the Captain's Table throughout the cruise. I'm not sure who else- It might be platinum cruisers.

It is getting towards that sad time when we know it is drawing to a close. I am SO not ready to rejoin the work-a-day world, snow, house-cleaning- no one to wait on me hand and foot. And It's diet time! I lost about 15 pounds before I came on board (in preparation) I have gained about 10 back! (maybe a little less, but let's not quibble about it- I can make it up in drink, I am sure in the next two days! At least I hope to!)

One serious criticism- The photos on board are $27.50 for an 8X10. And 8X10 seems to be the primary possibility,though I freeely admit I have not meandered by there often during open hours. It is located in an out of the way space which you would not accidentally happen upon. Not a good way to encourage purchases, IMHO. It is on a mezzanine-type floor between two others and stairs or a specifically designated "wheelchair lift" (which I am loathe to use- Don't get in the way of these little old ladies with their "go-carts"!) must be used to access. I have difficulty negotiating stairs at times, and it discourages my use of certain public spaces. they seem to like tucking some areas behind others- such as the Queen's Room (ballroom) behind the Brittania Dining Room and the 8 Deck Terrace Bar and pool behind Todd English. "You cahn't get Theah From Heah!"

Oh, Speaking of the Queen's Room! this is where the Pirate's Ball was held- Just dancing really- but we had a pirate parade, and they chose some to stay out in the middle of the floor as being spectactular costumes. Well, I must say, those judges must have been pirate amateurs, who obviously did not know good pirates when they saw them! Yes, it's true- We were not chosen! I thought we did pretty good, but there were some pretty good costumes, both concocted and more "professional" One fellow - a tall, lanky sort was dressed in red thermal underwear When asked, of course, he stated he was "LONG JOHNS SILVER! I would have voted for hiim, just for having the "brass ones" to wear that in public! There was a full Captain Morgan there, whihc is fitting, I suppose, since we had just left Panama, whihc he is most famous for having sacked. I think we sacked it pretty well, as well, buying everything in sight!

Well, I will close this. I don't want to chance losing the post. and I need to investigate the thread about the ghost! I think we have found her! (or rather a trivia partner in one of the affected rooms) Some folks seem to think it could be one of the dear departed souls lost when the shipyard accident (gangplank collapse) happened on famliy day.

Karie, reporting from the QM2 13 Jan 2006

Hello All,

It was a pleasure meeting everyone at the CC meeting and bumping into each other afterwards. We all had a great time. Little Chris wants to know when we can go back to the beach. We hate this cold weather but were lucky to find a cab within ten minutes of self-disembarking. We walked out of the port building across the street where we were the second party to get into a taxi. That sure beats the huge line forming on the river side of 12th Ave.

We managed to get home by 9:10, and now have to unpack and go through a bunch of mail (mostly junk I suppose).

Hi Karie,

Nice talking to you. I saw you on QM2 Channel when the DVD was being advertised. You were enjoying yourself at one of the parties.

Regards,

Ted

In the Nitpicking Department, I would vote that Cunard do-away with the constant background music that permeates every public lounge on the vessel. The library is the only quiet enclave on the ship, save for the promenade decks and staterooms.
Hear! Hear! I wish Cunard would take note of this observation by many passengers.

What a nice bunch of people we all are. Greta, Marion, Nat and I enjoyed your company.I am very mellow after arriving home. May add some thoughts about the Cruise in a day or so.

:) m and g

Welcome home everyone. Elene and I enjoyed meeting all of our Cruise Critic traveling cohorts. It was nice to put faces to Cruise Critic handles and encounter one another throughout our journey.

Talk about rude awakenings, wind driven snow and white out conditions on the Long Island Expressway for the drive home, and to think that some of us were disgruntled on Wednesday when Costa Rica got eighty-sixed from our itinerary. Boy, I'd take that trade now, four straight sea days beats frigid wind chills and frozen shut car doors any day.

As the winter wind howls outside, I am kept warm by many fond thoughts from our adventures on the QM2. In addition to the fine friends we made aboard we were also delighted to have a small clan of kennel dwellers aboard our trip, a handsome German Shepard and a pair of Dingo Puppies could be spotted cavorting happily up above on deck 12. There was also a cat aboard whom we did not have the pleasure of meeting.

Among the new additions, by way of the recent refurbishment, the coffe bar added to the Samuel Cunard Wine Bar is a lovely spot to savor a strong cup of java or cappucino. The fresh pastries baked especially for this location are a real treat.

We will miss all of our Pub Trivia Pals and our daily cranium busting contests. For the victors those sacred yellow prize vouchers were yearned for very dearly and when earned provided great shrieks of joy as if we'd just won the World Cup or the World Series or both. We traded our vouchers in for a very spiffy QM2 Photo album and can hardly wait to start filling it up with memories from our grand vacation.

Congratulations, Cadum for your triumph in the coveted Musical Trivia Quiz, next time you will be our musical theater quiz ringer. Among the highlights of this trip was standing on the observation deck in St. Thomas and watching the Celebrity Constellation sail away a mere 100 yards from our bow. Just before the two gargantuan ships serenaded each other with bass note blasts from their horns a cacophonous cheer went up from the crowded top deck of the Constellation.

Equally as exciting was the sail away from Curacao of P&O's Arcadia while a horde of Union Jack waving passengers cheered as the leviathan ship sailed by us. The Caribbean sunset was punctuated by a flurry of camera flashes popping like fourth of July sparklers, true ship travelling magic.

In the Two Ships Passing in the Night Department we were graced with the great privelege of viewing the QE2 steam by us on the evening of January 11. What a beautiful sight to behold this graceful and sleek ocean liner glowing with light as she sailed for the West Indies and the World.

Finally, to all of you at Table 147, what a true pleasure it was sharing this fabulous trip with you. We will miss regaling with you each night sharing good times and blue cheese. Let's do it again, a window seat on the lower level, my bags are still packed, just say the word and we're in.

Jonathan

Karie.... My friends and I wanted to thank you for the photo and making the name tags. I will forever remember it, as I will put them in my photo album. Thanks for all the good laughs... I still can not believe how we met.... For some reason as I type this I feel like I am rocking!

Until we all meet again.

Ryan

Okay- While it's fresh in my mind- If you ever sail with Cruiser King and CQ6- Make sure you are on their trivia team! They are formidable opponents! I thought I knew a lot of useless ephemera- They have me beat hands down! They should be held out as ringers! They're that good! We managed to come up with 4 tickets between us- Marc, and I- That got us a stuffed animal (just what I need- something else to pack!) 3 tickets got you a double deck of cards. (We rarely play cards- who has time!) 2 tickets bought you a leather QM2 bookmark and 1 got you either a single deck of cards or a 2004 log book calendar (With a smattering of photos) Since we were about the last ones down there, hemming and hawing, Amanda Reid, Social hostess, who is as sweet as cotton candy, let us go for the QM2 Logo Hat (worth five tickets) After all, we should have been chosen as finalists with our pirate outfits! Marc kept complaining about wearing women's clothing- He wore a pair of my diaphanous sparkly dress pant and a poufy sparkly blouse with poufy sleeves, one of my black capes rakishly set upon one shoulder, a belt, with a scary looking cutlass tucked in it, a pirate hat (actually, a patriot tri-corn) with a black ostrich plume swept back. I'll post a photo later. I think the earring and eye patch really worked! Bottom of the pants were tucked into black dress socks and black shoes. Heck! I would have allowed myself to be raped pillaged and plundered by him! <G> I was more of a serving wench, since all known female pirates dressed as men. So were many of the other female participants. So if those judges, who obviously didn't know fabulous pirates when the saw them had picked us from the crowd, we'd have had two additional tickets! <G> I have to tell you, sour grapes aside. there were some fabulous and well thought out costumes. A couple of French couples looked really fantastic in their home-made costumes! (which I consider more creative than store bought or from Ren Faires)

Ted and Barbara- I can't believe you were able to self- disembark! (This means you carry your luggage yourself) With two lively little boys no less! We looked for you in the terminal, but you were obviously long gone! Since we drove down, we were among the last to be called for exit. Chris and Ryan (Ted and Barbara's little boys) are adorable. Kinda shy, but sweet, once they open up. Well behaved, too! Hopefully, when they get a bit older, you'll be able to participate more together in the evenings. We'd love to see more of you!

We had a few unannounced lurkers in the group- Carllmm is actually Andreas and his lovely freind Danielle. His name means Caronia Lover- and the MM is a German expression. They are from Meunster/Berlin respectively, and lots of fun.

Ignacio and his friend Joe live in New York City, ex of Cuba (well, Ignacio, at least) What a marvelous handsome debonaire suave gentleman! Ignacio- I will email you and find a way to get you your badges.

Speaking of badges- I am sorry to say, I never met up with Jeri RN, who I was really looking forward to meeting. Greenba- I found a post with your last names on it (last night) and was going to try to get yours to you last night. But we were scrambling to get our bags out the door (all 360 of them!) and I wasn't very lively. I caught a cold that was going around our table (and a few other passengers) and I'm afraid I wasn't my usual lively self. I'm feeling pretty miserable right now. We got home by 1:30 PM and I went straight for my whirlpool Jacuzzi tub and a hot bouillon. We had chili for dinner. Yep- Back to cold icy, frozen reality. My tires were frozen to the pavement at the wharf, and my windshield wipers frozen to the glass. Marc still hasn't managed to get his doors open (His car was parked in our driveway at home)

KME- Are you from Nashua or Portland ME, I forget- I missed both of you, and I don't have my list handy. (Bob and Ellen?) Did we meet (And I didn't realize it) on the Cristobal Shore excursion? Discussing real estate prices in New Hampshire? I'm going to kick myself if I had a CC er right close at hand (Whos badges I carried around) and I didn't realize it!

This is getting long, and of course, I save the best for last. Peter and Barabara- We had great fun- Personal friends of the Commodore, you are! Well, now we are in the insider's club. Kim, the Commodore's wife is adorable and bubbly. Marc gave her some digital photography tips. They are both such genuine people. Does anyone know the particulars of what being a commodore means? Is it honorary? I know the Commodore has many honorary titles and many earned ones. He has a particularly keen interest in Maritime History, and the Titanic. I will post some rather revealing info on that later- ROBERT BALLARD DID NOT discover the wreck of the Titanic, though he has surely profited from it! The Commodore has some strong opinions about Red Hook Brooklyn- and they aren't what you might think! Again, I will elucidate later.

Ryan, Justin and Jenette-Justin's lovely southern mother- whom I did NOT need an interpreter for, as I am originally from Chattanooga Tennessee) Wonderful folks- Wish we could have seen more of them.

And MARTY!!! Marty, Marty, Marty! And his wife Greta, Sister Marion and her fun husband Nat. We will be seeing more of you! What a classy erudite group of world class travelers! Marty is defineitely the man you want choosing your fine alcoholic beverages such as ports and even good tequilas. (Anejos or Reposados)

More, more, more! There is so much to tell!

And lest anyone here think the Commodore did not try hard enough to find alternate berthing for the queen of the seas, he had EIGHT of his own relatives standing on the docks awaiting his arrival in Puerto Moins- The swells added to the draft gave the possibiility a particulrly high swell could have bottomed out the azipods, causing tremendous damage. As it was, they were churning up mud. There are very few ports which could take us on short notice, what with the damages from Wilma (Cancun, Isla Mujeres, and Cozumel ports destroyed) Ivan (Grand Cayman and Jamaica infrastructure damaged) and more. Others would have required too much time and would have made us late back to New York in preparation for her 90 days around the horn!

More soon! Didn't find, kept forgetting the CC log. (sorry!) I have badges. I can snail mail them! B/C me at parrothead-av8r@mindspring.com with your address.

Great time! I wanna go back!

As Lucy would say, WAH!

Karie

Feet back on Terra Froid (cold) and icy, if not firma!

:(

I was so excited to explore the ship I regret never having made it to the initial get togethers onboard. I had hoped that by some stroke of luck I would "bump" into my fellow cruise critics but alas it did not happen. If possible please share a few cruise photos of yourselves?

Although my husband and i had a very nice time was anyone disappointed by the informality of the service? I was very surprised that dinner was either formal or casual (with one informal evening). That is not what I was led to believe.

Does anyone really know why the Commodore did not substitute another port for Costa Rica? The rumors onboard were running rampant that he would stop in the Bahamas or Bermuda.

(Bob and Ellen?) Did we meet (And I didn't realize it) on the Cristobal Shore excursion? Discussing real estate prices in New Hampshire? I'm going to kick myself if I had a CC er right close at hand (Whos badges I carried around) and I didn't realize it!

Hi,

Sorry we didn't meet up with everyone. Stupidly, I forgot to print out the particulars of where and when we were meeting, and couldn't find the group. But it sounds like everyone had a very good time, and we did as well. Too bad about missing Costa Rica, but these things happen; gives us a reason to go again :rolleyes:. Karie, that wasn't us on the shore excursion; we took the boat tour through the canal.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the immigration line(s) on the last day. We read the instructions on where to go, and it said to go down the B-stairwell portside. We did, and found a line going up the stairs, and so joined it. Forty minutes later, we got to where we could see Deck 3, and found there was another line snaking off in the other direction, and they considered our line to be trying to cut in. We felt bad about that, as we just joined the line we found; there wasn't anyone around directing people as to where to go. It left a kind of bad feeling in our mouths for that last day. But all things considered, we had a terrific time. We're glad to be home, but NOT happy about it being 7 degrees! :eek:

Missing our Carribean weather,

- Bob & Ellen

On our recent voyage I picked up at least one interesting factoid regarding QM2, I learned that the periodic rumblings emanating from the funnel throughout the day are not practice horn blasts, they are however the means of cleaning the funnel.

Fairly frequently the funnel is cleaned by an utra sonic sound that is emitted from the funnel, which helps to clear out soot.

On the sea creatures front, I am pleased to report a sighting of dozens of flying fish. For the first time since traveling to the Caribbean on the QE2 Holiday Cruise as a wee lad, I spotted dozens of these small flying fish darting up and out of the rippling waves of the Caribbean Sea.

These fish remind me of a sort of ocean bound humming bird with tiny fins beating like wings as they flutter across the waves.

Cruiserking

:(

I was so excited to explore the ship I regret never having made it to the initial get togethers onboard. I had hoped that by some stroke of luck I would "bump" into my fellow cruise critics but alas it did not happen. If possible please share a few cruise photos of yourselves?

Although my husband and i had a very nice time was anyone disappointed by the informality of the service? I was very surprised that dinner was either formal or casual (with one informal evening). That is not what I was led to believe.

Does anyone really know why the Commodore did not substitute another port for Costa Rica? The rumors onboard were running rampant that he would stop in the Bahamas or Bermuda.

Okay,

I can answer some of these questions, as I spoke to a few people about the particulars, and also know a little from previous cruises and such.

As I stated, Kim, the commodore's wife, told us that he (the Commodore) was as disappointed as anyone! He had eight relatives waiting on the dock to see him! I'm not sure where they live or had come from. I know that Costa Rica is one of the most popular places for ex-patriot Americans to retire to. It is tropical, with a stable government and up-to date infrastructure (compared to many Central American countries) the economy is in good shape and they haven't had an army since (I think) 1958! The possibilities of alternate ports were extremely limited. The QM2 needs a deep-water port due to her draft. Of course, if she tenders in, you need shore personnel to support those operations, I am certain that fuel loads are caculated mush the way they are with aircraft. Every gallon of regular gasoline weighs 6 pounds. Therefore you do not want to carry too much more than you need. (I don't know if diesel is the same- sorry- I know those figures from being a pilot) With airplanes, you figure what you need, plus enough for an alternate airport and adverse weather (Headwinds cost you!) Anyone who heard the commodore making these announcements over the PA could tell you he sounded (to me, anyway!) as though he was going to burst into tears at any moment! I believe, after meeting him, that he genuinely cares that much about the comfort, safety, and positive expereince of his passengers. He is a passionate man, although he doesn't appear to be so- He is also a very reserved man. I am not sure if this ship can come into the Bahamas- Does anyone know if she can or has? The bahamas are pretty shallow. I think she may be able to port in Bermuda, but that is way too far to go. It is quite a but father in the Atlantic, and certainly not tropical. Not sure. At any rate, the extra time (After the time spent trying to port at Puerto Moins, then running down to Limon to try and tender) precluded certain ports. It would have taken too much additional time to go out of the way, then make way to New York on time. With the extraordianry needs of the upcoming 90 day voyage, she could not afford to be late getting in to New York. Additionally, Bahamas and Bermuda are two of the most expensive ports to go into in terms of port fees and government fees. There is a mandatory exit fee for all travelers to those ports, in addition to the usual port fees and taxes. Additionally, every single visitor must pass through British Immigration. They are very strict! The logistics of this (especially when unplanned) are a total nightmare. It would have cost each of us more money (I would not expect Cunard to absorb this very high additional cost) and would have severly cut into any possible shore time. You know from what was refunded to you that the Costa Rican fees are among the lowest anywhere. Additionally, if they were not expecting us, they would have to scramble to put something together for any possible shore excursions, and to get whatever shore-side personnel were required to support us in place on short notice. I do believe that we would not have even had the time to get all the way over there, port in, port out, and get to New York on time. I think I did hear that statement from someone in a position to know. I'm looking for my Carib map at the moment (What makes you think I'm unpacked already! <G>)

At any rate. Those things are what I know at this point. I am looking into more info, just for everyone's edification. I'm not a sailor, but I have friends who are. Maybe they might know things I don't about porting and fees and such.

As for casual vs informal (or what I would more rightly call semi-formal) I agree. Jonathan indicated that high complaints led to 1 additional informal instead of casual. I intended to dress to a higher standard regardless. And I think most did. There is nothing that precludes one from dressing to a higher standard. It is my estimation that the average Cunard pasenger dresses nicer anyway, and distinctions between formal, informal and casual are kind of fuzzy. I know I was dreadfully worried the last formal night that my shorter, but very formal dressy dress would be frowned upon, but truly, it was dressier than the dresses I had left which were floor length. I saw women in the Captain's and Officer's cocktail party (very formal) wearing extremely dressy pant-type suits. They did not look at all out of place.

As for Bob and Ellen's question about immigration. I actually wound up helping the staff on that. Poor Zack was getting beat up! He's such a skinny little guy. This was US immigration's fault. They did not get on board as planned at 4:30 as we were going under the Verrazano Narrows bridge, but instead boarded at 7 AM! This was actually announced in the disembarkation talk by Ray Rouse, but I don't know why he didn't elucidate on what that meant. Perhaps he didn't realize the ramifications. Because people were entering from different points, (various stairwells, elevators, etc) and others were very short tempered, people were not being polite and using their heads. They assumed people coming down stairwells were attempting to "cut in line" while in truth, they had no way of knowing where the line began or ended. I find often the elderly are much ruder- being creatures of greater habit, than young folks. Marc saw one elderly man actually HIT another elderly man. It was almost comical, if is wasn't so pathetic. I kept trying to keep the peace, since Marc took the stairs and I took the elevator and had no idea where to find him, and we had to go in together, since we were on one Customs form. So I stayed put, trying to help Zack keep the peace. I kept trying to explain to angry people that those coming down the stairs were not intentionally cutting line, it is simply where the stairs dumped them, and that getting angry was not going to make them feel better, would only make matters worse. Zack kept trying to get people to go "get a cup of coffee or tea" and come back in 45 minutes and there would be little line, and people responded they had already HAD coffee or tea! (taking him literally) I thought about starting singing (hoping people would join in and relax, but I had gotten a cold and probably would have started a stampede with my awful voice! Not to mention- (funnily) I swear the only song I could think of- (don't ask me why this one came to mind!) was "Were You There When the Great Ship Went Down!" I swear I don't know why that got stuck in my mind! I am known in some quarters for trying to make peace in explosive situations and taking control of out-of-control crowds. I don't know why. It's something I just automatically do. Maybe from previously training (search and rescue and such) I usually do pretty well, appealing to people's sensibiliites. Usually if they just think a minute, they realize they are being reactive and not reasonable, and that whining and bitching won't make them feel better, only serve to reinforce the negative and feel worse! People just don't think in those circumstances. They are tired and usually hot and feeling quite a lack of control over their circumstances. Give them back a little dignity and a chance to choose their response, and they usually respond positively. I actually took over the duties of one of the staff at the exit door to immigration at one point so she could try to find some help for Zack! I didn't mind, and it helped them out. It wasn't like I had something better to do!

Anyway, I'll try to get more info on the ports able to take this ship, but basically, there weren't too many choices. Most were too far (such as the Lesser Antilles) many were facing the same wind and seas conditions as Puerto Limon, precluding tendering, and there is still very much infrastructure damage in the Caribbean from the past two years' hurricanes. It takes a long time to build back a full service port, especially as most had sea-driven sand depositied on or offshore, making the ports shallower. Dredging is not a quick or easy thing, and involves a lot of considerations (and in most countries studies and permits) and all are competing for the same scarce resources. I have been in some of these places which suffered extreme damage, including two, where I was among the first non-natives allowed in (Key West after Wilma and Grand Cayman after Ivan) I have friends in those places and know more about what happened in each than the average visitor. Really, the Commodore did not have many choices. You can't just pull her over to the side of the road!

On our recent voyage I picked up at least one interesting factoid regarding QM2, I learned that the periodic rumblings emanating from the funnel throughout the day are not practice horn blasts, they are however the means of cleaning the funnel.

Fairly frequently the funnel is cleaned by an utra sonic sound that is emitted from the funnel, which helps to clear out soot.

On the sea creatures front, I am pleased to report a sighting of dozens of flying fish. For the first time since traveling to the Caribbean on the QE2 Holiday Cruise as a wee lad, I spotted dozens of these small flying fish darting up and out of the rippling waves of the Caribbean Sea.

These fish remind me of a sort of ocean bound humming bird with tiny fins beating like wings as they flutter across the waves.

Cruiserking

Jonathan,

Marc and I figured that must be the case with the horns. We were up there one evening, and heard it go off softly. Marc said, "Watch it, that's just a precursor to the real thing!" Well, the real thing never happened, so we wondered if that was just a way of purging the built up air pressure at regular intervals. We heard it several times like that where she never really let off, but just gave soft blasts. I was never up there for the "real thing" sadly :-(

As for the flying fish- I had seen them before, on a previous voyage, I think it was also one of our Cunard trips, pointed out by the crew. When we were in the Chagres River we saw them repeatedly jump! Like a frenzy! It was so cool- By the time I could get my camera ready, they had gone round the bend or calmed down. Saw them again from the ship. Again- Not quick enough with the camera! They are totally cool! I wish I had gotten them on film, but how much stuff can you carry around everywhere (video, camera, pass, sunglasses, paper and pencil for the trivia, cruise critics badges, etc) when you are on vacation!

Ryan- Welcome to post cruise equilibrium! It takes about two days to get back to where you are not feeling the rocking of the ship back on land! IT's something your body does when it gets used to the rocking then has to reaclimate itself to not rocking. It's quite normal, which you'll discover when you do a few more of these!

Yeah, that was pretty cool how we met! For those who don't know, we were freezing our ***s off on the top deck waiting to leave New York (the ship was held- several Cunard arranged flights were late due to weather, and even then some had to join us in St Thomas) I figured there would be some ccs up there- since we all knew from the list where the best vantage point was and were crazy-dedicated enough to stand up there in freezing rain and sleet. When I saw two young, suitable looking handsome men (young being the real clincher-Of course cc'ers would be suave and debonair! and one was talking about the thrust of a 747 (I love when you talk dirty like that Justin) I figured it has to be none other than Justin, the airline pilot. Who else would be talking about the thrust of jet engines in that cold! So I asked, and sure enough, it was Ryan and Justin. Justin's Mom Jennette was standing in the door to the showers, out of the wind.

After a long trip I finally reached home yesterday, Monday, by 5 pm and just needed to sleep. But now I am ready again and I like to thank all the wonderful cruisecritics we met for their companionship. It was as pleasure to talk, to have champagne, port, BBC and other nice drinks together and to share the experience.

While some points fell short of expectations and the Cunard / White Star tradition (formality, choice of food, music, lectures etc.) you helped to create a memorable experience. May we meet again on the high seas.

After a long trip I finally reached home yesterday, Monday, by 5 pm and just needed to sleep. But now I am ready again and I like to thank all the wonderful cruisecritics we met for their companionship. It was as pleasure to talk, to have champagne, port, BBC and other nice drinks together and to share the experience.

While some points fell short of expectations and the Cunard / White Star tradition (formality, choice of food, music, lectures etc.) you helped to create a memorable experience. May we meet again on the high seas.

Dear Andreas, Jon,Kerrie and all our Cruise Critics,

You added an extra dimension to a wonderful time at sea. Greta and I thank you for your companionship,kindness,intellect and all the good things each of you brought to the trip.

A good and healthy year to all.

Marty:)

Just finished reading all the comments on our recent cruise. A special thanks to Karie.

After a long long time I am posting again to say how good it was to meet fellow Cruise Critics (Jonathan & Elene, Karie & Marc, Andreas & Danielle among others) and make a good QM2 cruise a Great One.

Of course my “Cruise Evaluation Questionnaire” along with many praises had its full share of complaints minor & major. As an old Cunarder (and I mean Old) I had to make a note of many changes from previous Cruises. Of course Cunard is not the only one; Cunard is just keeping up with modern times ... namely many cuts in services ... major and minors. Where have all the niceties gone?

So much to remember ... especially the masquerade ball ... Karie & Marc, what great masks!

Cadum

Just finished reading all the comments on our recent cruise. A special thanks to Karie.

After a long long time I am posting again to say how good it was to meet fellow Cruise Critics (Jonathan & Elene, Karie & Marc, Andreas & Danielle among others) and make a good QM2 cruise a Great One.

Of course my “Cruise Evaluation Questionnaire” along with many praises had its full share of complaints minor & major. As an old Cunarder (and I mean Old) I had to make a note of many changes from previous Cruises. Of course Cunard is not the only one; Cunard is just keeping up with modern times ... namely many cuts in services ... major and minors. Where have all the niceties gone?

So much to remember ... especially the masquerade ball ... Karie & Marc, what great masks!

Cadum

You are too kind!

Well, not being familiar with your screen name, I can only guess who "our mystery guest" is! <G>

You were such a marvelous gent. You thrilled me when you called me sympatico. Such a charming and diplomatic way to say we disagree on a subject, but I respect your opinions!

It was great to meet you and your friend Joe. I will be emailing you on where to send your cruise critic badge. Don't be a lurker! I would love to hear more about your memories from previous days. I wish we'd had more chance to chat.

Never disparage your age. Think of it as experienced. You've seen things I can only dream (and read) about. And you are NOT old!

Stay charming!

Karie (Who won't tell who you are!<G>)

Archived