QM2 - January 3, 2006

cruiserking

Greetings fellow January 3, 2006 QM2 Voyagers,

We probably won't need a bigger boat, but, our merry band of travellers is growing by the day. Here is the new and improved list.

Cruiserking/Cq6 (Jonathan & Elene)

First Time Cunarder (Peter)NBCNewsGuy (Ryan)

Travel-to-go [/b](Karie & Marc)Jerirn (Jeri & John)

Rgreenba [/b](Rosalyn & Lewis)

Lk4xits (Marty & Greta)

(Marion & Nat)

Greetings fellow January 3, 2006 QM2 Voyagers,

We probably won't need a bigger boat, but, our merry band of travellers is growing by the day. Here is the new and improved list.

Cruiserking/Cq6: Jonathan and Elene

First Time Cunarder: Peter

NBCNewsGuy: Ryan

Travel-to-go: Karie and Marc

Jerirn: Jeri and John

Rgreenba: Rosalyn and Lewis

Lk4xits: Marty and Greta

Marion and Nat

The QM2 Panama & Caribbean Travelling Cruise Critics - January 3, 2006 are

Cruiserking/Cq6 Jonathan and Elene

First Time Cunarder Peter

NBCNewsGuy Ryan

Travel-to-go Karie and Marc

Jerirn Jeri and John

Bob & Mae

Rgreenba Rosalyn and Lewis

Lk4xits Marty and Greta

Marion & Nat

Wow!

Keep it up! If we get many more of us from the group, we'll have to reserve a room for our get-togther 2 PM first day at sea (did I get that right?)

I am so excited. Mind you, I am supposed to be leaving for Key West on Tuesday <sigh>! If I have a hotel to stay in! We're even volunteering to create work groups to go help pick up debris! (This is a convention of 3500 Parrotheads- Jimmy Buffett fans- that we do every year!) Our host hotel was under water, and today was trying to dry out their power transformers which were under two feet of water.

I'd rather be on top of the water!

Lots of stress at work- I have 5 weeks of vacation coming to me, and have not been able to take any of it yet. Between Key West and this cruise, It will take up about three of those weeks.

I just can't wait! This will be my true relaxing!

Woohoo!!

Wow!

Keep it up! If we get many more of us from the group, we'll have to reserve a room for our get-togther 2 PM first day at sea (did I get that right?)

I am so excited. Mind you, I am supposed to be leaving for Key West on Tuesday <sigh>! If I have a hotel to stay in! We're even volunteering to create work groups to go help pick up debris! (This is a convention of 3500 Parrotheads- Jimmy Buffett fans- that we do every year!) Our host hotel was under water, and today was trying to dry out their power transformers which were under two feet of water.

I'd rather be on top of the water!

Lots of stress at work- I have 5 weeks of vacation coming to me, and have not been able to take any of it yet. Between Key West and this cruise, It will take up about three of those weeks.

I just can't wait! This will be my true relaxing!

Woohoo!!

Its a good thing we live in NYC.During "Wilma" Our apt. in Aventura ,Florida had the railings on our 23rd floor balcony blown away amongst other things including power outages, water damage etc. Hopefully, our cabin on the 11th floor will stay dry for the entire cruise.

Our ship is going in for scheduled dry dock maintenance in November so we will have hopefully a nice clean cabin and refurbished public rooms as well as a good engine as we work our way to warm climate.

Meanwhile its raining big time in Costa Rica (Tropical storm Beta). Fortunately hurricane season should be over by January. ( well lets hope so.)

Greta and Marty

Did you know that Bargemusic.org performs classical concerts on the East River on a Barge connected to the Brooklyn pier opposite lower Manhattan. Yes ,and once a month on saturday afternoon they are free!

Lower Manhattan skyline is visable and if you go on a weekend, you may catch a wedding party or two on the dock taking pictures.

As we were sitting in our seats today, I transposed myself onto the Queen Mary2 and listened to the outstanding artists sing.

As a boat went by we would feel a gentle wake and the barge would bob up and down. Of course the Glass backdrop of the performers was the East River.

Try it some weekend If you are in town.

Marty and Greta

Its a good thing we live in NYC.During "Wilma" Our apt. in Aventura ,Florida had the railings on our 23rd floor balcony blown away amongst other things including power outages, water damage etc. Hopefully, our cabin on the 11th floor will stay dry for the entire cruise.

Greta and Marty

So sorry about your Aventura Apt. I heard Aventura and Davie in particular got the brunt of it. Broward county-97% lost power. Palm Beach Co, not much better.

Friend just landed in Miami and drove to Key West last night/today. North of Dade County is much worse. Still traffic lights out in Dade County. But getting better. A lot of high tension wires (High voltage lines) were twisted like toothpicks. Unbelievable! My friend in Lake Worth is being promised power by Nov 22, Alabama Jacks on Card Sound Road is being told the 26th. This one sprang up quickly and did a lot more damage than was expected. I have so far been chased in to the keys by a hurricane (Mitch) Evacuated due to one (Michele) and followed one in (Wilma) Okay. I'm over this now! Record was broken, you can quit now, mother nature! (All I can think of is those Parkay Margarine commercials where mother nature is in the forest and the animals and birds all run off- "It's not NICE to fool Mother Nature!")

<sigh>

Thank goodness you are safe. Railings can be repaired. People can't.

Oh, to bring it more on topic.

We were going asea when Hurricane Isabel was approaching. Our Mid-Atlantic friends kept expressing that they were scared for us. We kept saying. We can move! (and we did) you can't~! Chesapeake area took a lot of damage. Other than the horrible loss of the Windjammer Flagship Fantome during hurricane Mitch with 34 souls aboard, ships are relatively safe places to be. As I said, they can move! Mitch was an odd one. Did what I have never seen a hurricane do (and I have been plotting them since the 6th grade in 1965- every grade school kid where I grew up in Florida knew how to do this) It made a 180- actually, a 360- Went up into the Gulf, turned around and headed south past Belize and behind the island of Roatan, where the Fantome had tried to take refuge- what should have been the lee side of the island. Mitch headed straight for the little sailing ship. turned around and headed back into the gulf, and across southern Florida, spawning tornadoes my friends got caught in in Largo. Driving down just before the roads (and 7 mile bridge) were closed, then driving back a week later- what a difference. The devastation was so sad.

That said- I still say a ship is a better place to be than on land when a hurricane is heading towards you!

I agree, if you can get out of the way of a hurricane. Being on a large ship with all the radar and weather readings, You are relatively safe.

We ran into a low while going eastbound across the Atlantic back in May, and we couldnt get out of the way. One night we had winds of 94 mph. The outside doors were locked , Women were told not to wear hight heels and the stabilizers on the ship did their job. No danger at all. Our cabin was on the fifth deck. and that helped.

Hope all is well for you,and electric comes on for those w/o power soon.

Marty

Cunard has given us a wonderful opportunity to sail to the caribbean from NYC at prices lower then even 4 and 5 star cruise lines. Check these prices with your travel agent, get your tuxedo or gown or other formal wear ready and try a once in a lifetime experience, a cruise on the QM2.

Twelve nights. Seven or eight ? days at sea and only four port stops makes this cruise a precursor to doing a transatlantic crossing. Time to upgrade caribbean cruisers, lets move it to the next level.

Besides, Greta and I want some company on board:)

Marty

If you consider booking, read the pro and con about the QM2. This is a 2600 passenger ship. It is not a Silversea or Crystal experience, it has its own niche.

Incidentally, it will be spanking clean as it goes in for its first drydock and refit on November 8 thru the 19th, since being launched in 2003.

My friends company approved his vacation yesterday and we booked a B1 in the middle of the ship this morning.

I did book through AMEX and they will help us to get a great deal with shipboard credits, wine and priority checkin.

Justin and myself are ready to go.

Ryan

The new and improved QM2 Panama & the Caribbean Cruise Critics Roll Call for January 3, 2006 featuring

First Time Cunarder Peter and Barbara

NBCNewsGuy Ryan and Justin

Jerirn Jeri and John

Bob & Mae

Lk4xits Marty and Greta

Marion & Nat

Are we all up for meeting for beverages on the first sea day at 2 pm in the Chart Room?

Cruiserking

The Panama Canal excursions in our prelimanary documents seem very exciting. Having been there once before, May I suggest you not just stay on the ship if at all possible. Do not waste time visiting Colon the town. See the locks, the native tribes etc etc.

In Costa Rica,you cant beat the nature trips whether aerial or by canoe its worth going. Bring bug spray.

St Thomas we probably will take a cab and wander.

Curaco should be most interesting make sure you have a local drink!

marty

Hey Marty,

How long ago did you receive preliminary documents?

I haven't gotten anything yet, then again I only just faxed my registration forms, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I'm most looking forward to Curacao, it looks like the prettiest port we will be visiting.

Cruiserking

Hey Marty,

How long ago did you receive preliminary documents?

I haven't gotten anything yet, then again I only just faxed my registration forms, I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I'm most looking forward to Curacao, it looks like the prettiest port we will be visiting.

Cruiserking

I got a booklet with shore excursons plus registration materials to fill out last week, Hope this helps.

marty

Thanks Marty. After a quick call to the travel agent I learned pre-cruise docs should arrive sometime next week. So what excursion did you do last time you were in Panama? The train by any chance? I do so love trains, apparently it's only a 1 hour and 15 minute trek from the Caribbean side to the Pacific.

Unfortunately, the famed Queen Emma Swinging Bridge will not be swinging when we visit Curacao, she is closed for refurbishments.

I'm also very keen to see one of John Maxtone-Graham's lectures during our cruise, I have a few of his books and his maritime talks are supposed to be very entertaining.

Jonathan

Queen Mary 2 - January 3, 2006

Panama and the Caribbean traveling Cruise Critics

Jerirn Jeri and John

Bob & Mae

Lk4xits Marty and Greta

Marion & Nat

PapaHay

Dear Jon,

I confess we wasted a 1/2 day in Colon last time. Dont bother it was a nothing. The hot ticket will be the railroad executive car tour along the canal, It may sell out. In my opinion for those who wish the boat experience they will experience the locks first hand! Boring or exciting depends.

I didnt make the same mistake in Costa Rica, I took the aerial tram tour which is outstanding, however you only see foliage as you are above the forest canopy. For animals the jungle Eco adventure by boat is recommended. Banana plants you see all along the highways to the tram and elsewhere.

marty:)

I am finally booked and looking forward to meet you fellow cruisecritics!

May I join in with some questions?

Some stated that Colon is a waste of time. Normally, where ever I go, I take at least some time for the port city. Regarding Colon I read about a cathedrale, other churches, a historic art deco style hotel, the Casa de Lesseps, the Avenida Central with many momuments and some more. All of this is not worth even a look? Is it possible to rent a taxi for an hour or two to tour the city if more time is too much?

As I passed the Canal on board Cunard's Caronia before, I am not interested in the locks and the canal but would like to see some other areas. Are the historic places of Fuerte San Lorenzo and Portobelo easily accessible?

Are the assumptions correct that Charlotte Amalie and Willemstad can best be done on your own if you want to see the towns, and that the main attraction in Puerto Moin is the nature?

Cruiserking, you will love John Maxtone-Graham. The lectures he gave on board the QE2 were indeed excellent, both profound and entertaining. You will find that some parts are very close to the books but his personal style adds a lot of life.

I am finally booked and looking forward to meet you fellow cruisecritics!

May I join in with some questions?

Some stated that Colon is a waste of time. Normally, where ever I go, I take at least some time for the port city. Regarding Colon I read about a cathedrale, other churches, a historic art deco style hotel, the Casa de Lesseps, the Avenida Central with many momuments and some more. All of this is not worth even a look? Is it possible to rent a taxi for an hour or two to tour the city if more time is too much?

As I passed the Canal on board Cunard's Caronia before, I am not interested in the locks and the canal but would like to see some other areas. Are the historic places of Fuerte San Lorenzo and Portobelo easily accessible?

Are the assumptions correct that Charlotte Amalie and Willemstad can best be done on your own if you want to see the towns, and that the main attraction in Puerto Moin is the nature?

Cruiserking, you will love John Maxtone-Graham. The lectures he gave on board the QE2 were indeed excellent, both profound and entertaining. You will find that some parts are very close to the books but his personal style adds a lot of life.

Your assumptions are quite correct. Taxi's are available at all ports. I am not sure about Costa Rica as this is a new port stop and I docked in Port Limon last time . Security is an issue in Panama so select your cab wisely. You might consider checking the Colon2000 web site for more info.

All the places in Panama are within reach.The Costa Rica port is somewhat away from some sights.

St Thomas is an attractive island, again some safety precautions, many options including shopping. Willemstad my first visit. Should be a pleasent and easy port stop.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Marty :)

Carlmm,

So glad you will joining us on the QM2. I agree with you the excursions worth booking will be those in Panama and Costa Rica. Thanks for the tips Marty. I hope to get a spot on one the Tortuguero Canal boat trips in Costa Rica and perhaps spot some giant turtles.

Curacao should be fun to explore on foot. We will practically have St. Thomas to ourselves as QM2 is the only ship in port that day.

Cruiserking

Queen Mary 2 - January 3, 2006

Panama and the Caribbean traveling Cruise Critics

Jerirn Jeri and John

Bob & Mae

Lk4xits Marty and Greta

Marion & Nat

PapaHay

Carlmm

Ryan and Justin, Welcome aboard! I'm so glad your friend was able to finagle the vacation time, Ryan. It will be marvelous to meet you both.

Papahay- do you have a couple of names to go with that? Or do we just say, Hey Papahay! When we meet you second day out at the Commodore?

Cruise Docs- I had not filled out the registration online though I had downloaded the forms. too busy, what with work, my Key West trip and other "stuff." But when we got home on Wednesday from Key West, there were two big beautiful booklets from Cunard- The registration forms were in there, along with a full listing of the shore excursions for each port. Oh yes, and also the "special occasions" for the cruise. Can someone give me more insight into the Ascot ball? Would this be similar to what one might wear for the horse races? A friend (RIP) who died very quickly of liver cancer this year (He had just gotten married one year ago last week, in our annual Key West bacchanalia) threw the most marvelous Kentucky Derby party every year. Dress code for the occasion was whatever we liked, but ladies were requested to wear hats, and gentlemen jackets- over shorts, or whatever! Fresh Mint Juleps were always at hand. We sang My Old Kentucky Home and had our own betting pool. One year I took a nice broad brimmed straw hat and wraped a long "vine" of lovely pink and white silk flowers around it. Another year, I came in a hat that had an over sized Margarita glass (with styrofoam hand-made and painted lime slice and bamboo straw) atop it! Well, maybe that is a bit too much for Ascot, but shall I assume the outrageous chapeaux as seen at the Prince of Wales nuptials this year might be appropriate?

As for the ports, Marc and I were in Curacao a few years back. We got to "travel" the swing bridge! I am so sorry it is down for repairs. it is a marvelous contraption! We were there on a Sunday for only a half day when not much was stirring. I am excited that we will be there all day and can do a bit more exploring. I have read some exciting things.

As for the canal, we have been through the locks. Its a bit anti-climatactic. But still, it thrills you when you read what it took to build, the lives lost, the disease and hardship they faced to build this wonder.

Puerto Moins- I love Costa Rica. I have read up a bit on it, as I try to do before enjoying the peoples and culture of a new (to me) country. We enjoyed it from the left coast previously. It will be nice to see the Caribbean side. I have read a few novels set in the area. I hope we will have weather that will allow best views of whatever, and look forward to the fanfare I have heard will happen at an inaugural port!

St Thomas- Well, I spent some time in Key West with the president of the "Virgin Island Parrotheads"- VIPH- and had hoped to visit with her while we are there, but we are there on a Friday, and she works (at an autoparts store on St John- how mundane- but heck! She's living in paradise, so who am I to complain? Ya gotta pay the bills!) so I suspect we will be on our own. St thomas is easy to explore on your own. I understand we will tender in and not be at Havensight? I have tendered in before. You come ashore closer to town if it is like it used to be before they built Havensight. You can easily catch the ferry over to St John from Redhook and take a Jitney to Trunk Bay to go snorkeling on your own if you wish. The ferry is cheap, and you can rent gear from a concession over on St John. Or just take a Jitney around St John. the island is half national park. One of the Buck Island snorkel trips is always popular. Swim with the tortoises! And the bottomless rum punch on your way back is usually good and tasty (not to mention intoxicating) but bring a towel and lots of sunscreen. Maybe even a coverup for the trip back. I have been on catamarans that would not let you go below decks to change after swimming. They didn't want to get salt from the water below deck. Of course Charlotte Amalie is known for its shopping. This is your shopping stop if you are into that. I'm not a shopper, and I am about shopped out. But there is a nice grocery store (and a radio Shack) in walking distance of either downtown or the port, and you can pick up snacks for the room, mixers for that cheap rum or gin you picked up (I know- who needs anything to mix with gin!) duty free, or whatever electronic needs you forgot at Radio Shack- camera batteries and chargers, cell phone headsets. Cingular has good GSM service on St Thomas, so those of you bringing your world phones, from England (or Cingular or T mobile phones from the US) will work there. Signal is good at Havensight also. Frequency is 1900 MHz, so just make sure your phone has that US freq. (I think it may also support 850 MHz US cellular and TDMA service still.)

A book I have gotten several versions of for cruising is called Caribbean Ports of Call by Kay Showker- Saybrook Press. Last time I bought it it was around $18.00 USD. It gives good info about ports, shore excursions, and taxi costs. Recommendations if you want to do your own shore trips and average cost if done throught the ships. Lots of helpful hints in this book. I usually bring it with me. Be sure to get the version that includes the Dutch West Indies, Panama, and Costa Rica!

Well, after coming home frmom 86 degree Florida to 36 degree Connecticut in the space of three hours on Wednesday, I am ready for some more warmth and sunshine. I am NOT ready for snow and cold and wind and winter!

Archived