QM2 - January 3, 2006

cruiserking

we're from the great little city of Portland, ME.

we had been on quite a few caribbean/mexico vaca's, but were reluctant to try cruising until may of 04. my older brother (also traveling on this cruise) is a total cruise nut and is responsible for getting us hooked.

anyone have any idea when cabin are assigned? we booked in under a b3 guarantee category and really hoping we get upgraded out of hull balcony - though we doubt this will happen booking so late.

we thought about driving, but decided to fly. 84 through ct. is a long drive on a good day - but driving back after 12 days at sea - no way!

Marvelous!

The SO, Marc, who will be with me, grew up in Gorham. The families still have several camps on Sebago- Harmon's Beach. His cousin is a librarian at Portland Library. I don't know your ages, but if you were into the music scene in Portland a few years back, there was a (now defunct) magazine called FACE magazine. the publishers are friends of ours.

It will be fun to meet you, and we can even talk Portlandese! What did I read somewhere recently they just started doing the cruises to the Bay of Fundy again out of Portland? I didn't know they had stopped! By the way, we are both 51.

As for cabin assignments- You could get assigned as late as a week before sailing. The later the better, I think, as more chance of getting upgraded unless it sells out. I can't decide if I would rather be in a hull cabin or a regular one. You see, someone pointed out earlier that the hull balconies are right out over the water, while the regular glassed in balconies are set back, and overlook the promenade deack. I think his words were something to the effect of, "I'll call you and tell you I am watching the porpoises or dolphins cavorting below my balcony. I'll describe them since YOU can't see them! " (I may have embellished a bit, but you get the picture.)

We are expecting 1-4 inches of the white stuff here tonight (and I don't mean dandruff!) and around 20 degrees. I don't care if they hang me off the yardarm! As long as we are heading to the sunny Caribbee!

American Express called me today to tell me that I should be getting my precruise documents by Saturday. She was going to send them out to me today by UPS.

Does anyone know what will be in these documents?

Ryan

Ryan, That is what somoene described to you last night or night before. It is a book- almost looks like a small brochure. In the front is the registration page, and some other pertinent information. the rest of the book describes all of the shore excursions at each port.

Chill, You're half-way there! Make sure you get that registration page in quickly if you didn't fill out the online one and fax it today.

The form also indicates that etiquettes on board of Cunard liners might have changed at lot:

So we are asked to lay down for dinner? One of the questions below "Dining RoomTable Preferences" asks about "twin beds".

Or does the combination of the questions "twin beds" and "early or late" require us decide now when we will want to retire?

You know, I was kinda wondering about that as I was filling it out. Especially since I already gave them all of that info when I booked!

And I suspect they will adhere to that protocol about what time you will go to bed! there will be strict enforcement by the "Sleep Officer!"

Hi,

Count us in as fellow New Englanders on the Jan 3 cruise. My wife and I are from southern New Hampshire. We've been on the QM2 once before - July '04 on a crossing. We're really looking forward to this cruise.

- Bob and Ellen

Well, so far we have Boston, MA. Portland Maine, Southern New Hampshire and Colchester, CT accounted for. The only NE states we're missing are RI and VT.

Anyone?

I will surely be happy to leave this cold.

Anyone decorating thier doors or balcony on this trip?

We were talking about it last night. We have this stuff called EL (electro-luminescent) wire. It's like neon, when the proper voltage is applied (either plug-in or battery pack) It's releatively cheap, and, being wire, is quite malleable. We used it to trace the coast of Florida and a head-shot of Wilma (Flintstone) on posterboard and hung it off the pier at our hotel when we were in Key West after Hurricane Wilma came through and did so much damage. Everyone loved it, asked where they could get some, wanted to buy it from us! And it's not dangerous or damaging.

We figure if we do this on our balcony, it will be easy to spot from the dock when we are in a port!

I have read some threads where people are putting up decorations on their doors on some ships, maybe if it is someone's birthday or something. I have seen it also on some cruises- it seems especially on inside cabins.

Anyone here so inclined? (tastefully, of course- We're thinking maybe a flamingo or palm tree. If we do this right, we can make the flamingo lift one leg or the palm tree sway.)

Welcome Aboard Bob and Ellen, look forward to meeting you both.

Just discovered that Carnival will be under way when we arrive in Curacao, should be exciting with lots of colorful costumes and dancing in the streets. Curacao.com has all the information some of which is listed below.

January 06 till the end of the Carnival season

Carnival Jump – Ups

Weekend street dances and parties, called “jump- ups” sponsored by local organizations, are held weekly through the end of Carnival. There are two or three ‘jump-ups’ every evening all over the island, including on both quarters of Willemstad on both sides of St. Ana bay and at Banda Bou, the scenic western part of the island.

Cruiserking

Queen Mary 2 - January 3, 2006

Panama and the Caribbean traveling Cruise Critics

Cruiserking/Cq6 Jonathan and Elene

First Time Cunarder Peter and Barbara

NBCNewsGuy Ryan and Justin

Travel-to-go Karie and Marc

Jerirn Jeri and John

Bob & Mae

Rgreenba Rosalyn and Lewis

Lk4xits Marty and Greta

Marion & Nat

Carlmm

PapaHay Bruce and Joy

Kme Keith and Anne Marie

Rgaimari Bob and Ellen

Has anyone given any thought to their shore excursions? I usually book "off the ship" trips - they're often the same trip at a much lower price than the ship offers. I was in Alaska in September and a glacier hike that cost me $300 pp cost another person from our ship $375 pp, and they were in the same helicopter as we were!

Panama has its' canal trips and Costa Rica its' rainforest...so you really can't go wrong. I have some links here that I got on the CC boards, if anyone would like to get a group together for either of those ports.

http://www.1costaricalink.com

http://www.myfriendmario.com

In my experience the tours from the cruise line are very pricey. I have contacted Grayline to see if they can offer better prices for our Jan. 10th visit. If they can would anyone be interested in signing up with Grayline?

Does anyone have any other tips/ideas/suggestions on how to see the canal without booking a tour through Cunard? Has anyone ever hired a taxi at the pier to take them sightseeing and lived to tell about it? Thanks.

Grayline Tours is a huge company in just about every city. (Where are you located?) They have large Greyhound type buses and I believe mini vans as well. I emailed them over the weekend and they replied earlier today. They said they will send me prices and details. When they do I'll post the information.

I think if you google Grayline tours and get to the Panama page, you can see what tours they offer from Panama City. I couldn't find any regularly scheduled tours from Colon/Cristobal which is where we dock. Perhaps I wasn't on the right page.

As far as excursions, we're planning on the Megans Bay Beach trip in St. Thomas. In Costa Rica we're angling for the Jungle River Eco-River Adventure. The Off-Road Adventure sounds fun, but, we would love to spy some native sloths and maybe a gator or two.

Personally, we'd rather go with Cunard. Sure, you pay a few bucks more, though I feel that's the insurance you pay, if there's a delay of any kind the ship waits for you. If your alternate excursion is late you're either hitching with the pilot or doing the airport excursion.

Here's a link to Grayline's Panama Tours.

http://www.grayline-panama.com/pty/english/sightseeing/

Cruiserking

5 weeks today and it's BBC's in the Golden Lion, oh joy, oh rapture!

When can/do you book the excursions (Cunard-offered ones, that is)? Do you book them all on day one of the cruise, before you ever get aboard, the day before the excursion, or what? Thanks.

- Bob

Every excursion will have a date line by which you can book and cancel excursions on board. It's usally about two days before the excursion. Details about this will be provided on board.

When can/do you book the excursions (Cunard-offered ones, that is)? Do you book them all on day one of the cruise, before you ever get aboard, the day before the excursion, or what? Thanks.

- Bob

You book them on board generally, although some lines do let you book online or through your travel agent, in advance. Usually the popular tours go fast, so if there is something you really really want to do, book it as soon as the tour desk (shore excursions desk) opens! They have a drop box when they are closed. You will get a form listing them with your welcome aboard packet, likely, and some days it will also be included with your daily program (or programme <G>) There will be a shore excursion talk before each port, uusually, and you have additional opportunities to book (what is left) then. and throughout the cruise.

Just like getting reservations for Todd English, or changing tables or main/early seating. Talk to the Maitre d' as soon as you get on board. they usually have hours posted when you embark.

Karie and Marc, we share your passion about going to Cuba. A number of Jewish organization still make charitable trips as you indicated on another thread, but the cost is quite high. :( .Lets chat about it on the cruise.

Marty and Greta

Grayline got back to me and their prices were not competitive. They wanted substantially more money for the same tours they offer out of Panama City. Looks like booking onboard is the way to go, especially in Panama and Costa Rica. Thanks for the advice.

Karie and Marc, we share your passion about going to Cuba. A number of Jewish organization still make charitable trips as you indicated on another thread, but the cost is quite high. :( .Lets chat about it on the cruise.

Marty and Greta

We shall definitely chat

Meantime, here is a link to the Ofoto site where my friend put his 267 pictures from Cuba.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Um=53900097503.46327267803&Un=1354798972

You have to register with Ofoto if you are not already registered. They have never bothered me.

My other firends have some marvelous pics too. I just LOVE the old perfectly kept 50s American cars. There are mechanics there who have perfected the art of making replacement parts, since they obviously can't import them, even if they were anywhere to be found!

Marty and Greta

We shall definitely chat

Meantime, here is a link to the Ofoto site where my friend put his 267 pictures from Cuba.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?mode=fromshare&Um=53900097503.46327267803&Un=1354798972

You have to register with Ofoto if you are not already registered. They have never bothered me.

My other firends have some marvelous pics too. I just LOVE the old perfectly kept 50s American cars. There are mechanics there who have perfected the art of making replacement parts, since they obviously can't import them, even if they were anywhere to be found!

Marty and Greta

We shall definitely chat

We shall definitely chat

Great Pictures!! tour St. Thomas, Magens Bay, Bluebeards Castle coki beach as well as

OkeyDokey Tours . We do not recommend just passing them along.

M and G

Archived